Any more Rock Musicals?

Colin

On this the 35th (35!!!) anniversary of The Whos Tommy, I am reminded of the great Jesus Christ Superstar too. I know that there are other rock musicals. Didnt Queen do one? Wasnt Joseph and the Technicolor xxx a musical, was it rock?

But what are they and are they any good?

16.gif

Colin:

I was able to find the following list on a link that I Googled with the heading "Rock Operas"

Pretty Things, S.F. Sorrow: Either the first rock opera or the first concept album

The Who, Tommy (1969): The album which arguably popularized the term "rock opera"

The Who, Quadrophenia (1973)

Pete Townshend, White City (1986): Subtitled "A novel", a video was released in conjunction with this album.

Pete Townshend, The Iron Man (1989): A "musical" based on Ted Hughes' book The Iron Man (which was also the basis for the animated film The Iron Giant)

Pete Townshend, Psychoderelict (1993): An album of linked songs with dialogue advancing the story between the music, a version without the dialogue was also released

Spock's Beard, Snow (2002): Has a storyline and themes very similar to The Who's Tommy

Pink Floyd, The Wall (1979)

Tim Rice and Andrew Lloyd Webber, Jesus Christ Superstar: Considered a rock musical

Styx, Kilroy was Here (1983)

Genesis, The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway: Famous prog-rock opera.

The Residents, God in Three Persons (1988), Mark of the Mole (1981), The Tunes of Two Cities (1982), The Big Bubble: Pt. 4 of the Mole Trilogy (1983)

Ref: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rock_opera

Queen did do 'Bohemian Rhapsody' which SHOULD have been in a rock opera, but never was.

I hope this helps you?

This is a bit heavier but Savatage /streets a rock opera. Awesome! Must check it out! Almost all of later savatage is operetic and heavy and melow. Alot of Russian type piano playing. The first one i mentioned is one then theirs Gutter Ballet, Dead winter dead, Hand full of rain, Poets and madmen, the edge of thorns. Their earlier stuff which is my favorite is more heavy rock.

Man i love the who, but powerfull as it gets. I would say savatage is a bit more powerfull. But like I said it's their latter stuff that is rock opera and i mean all of it. I am a big fan of their earlier work. So this isn't the greatest thing to me. Although i still dig it. Especially streets a rock opera. When Chris Olivia was alive his guitar playing is amazing. Colin check out savatage "when the crowds are gone" off of gutter ballet. I don't know how anyone couldn't like it, but it's possible. "A little too far" off of streets a rock opera. More to come if you likey. 1.gif