Sony "Wega" or Sony "Vega"

jagangjee

I think it's just an advertising ploy by Sony to instill the mystique as a "Euro-thing" as some cultures aboard do pronounce "W's" as "V's" ..or, not.

Anyway, Chevy dumped the name "Nova" from its car line because it actually means "No Go" in Spanish. ....Not a great name for a car. 9.gif

In the case of "Vega" it means: "Fertile Plain". So, go figure? Is my TV gonna have babies? 6.gif LOL!

Madison Avenue (advertising) is definitely smoking some serious "tobacco"!

...Oh! And "Bose" means "Crap"! (in ANY Language) ..but I think you already knew that one. 9.gif

----------------

On 6/8/2004 12:01:06 PM picky wrote:

I think it's just an advertising ploy by Sony to instill the mystique as a "Euro-thing" as some cultures aboard do pronounce "W's" as "V's" ..or, not.

Anyway, Chevy dumped the name "Nova" from its car line because it actually means "No Go" in Spanish. ....Not a great name for a car.
"<a
http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/images/smilies/9.gif">

In the case of "Vega" it means: "Fertile Plain". So, go figure? Is my TV gonna have babies?
"<a
http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/images/smilies/6.gif"> LOL!

Madison Avenue (advertising) is definitely smoking some serious "
tobacco
"!

...Oh! And "Bose" means "Crap"! (in ANY Language) ..but I think you already knew that one.
"<a
http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/images/smilies/9.gif">

----------------

Hello:

Let's not forget the Chevrolet Vega - 50,000 miles and let's work on it :)

dodger

dodger: Maybe Chevy should come out with a retro car called the "Nova-Vega": "No go even on a fertile plain?" LOL 9.gif

jagangjee: Thanks for the luck on the Piston's. They are up against the wall of LA. At least they won the first one. We'll see.

I was diappointed Calgary lost. 15.gif But, it was nice to see Andrechuk finally win a cup before he retires.

jagangjee: This is going to be a real stretch but, heregoes:

Knowing just how crazy Calgary fans are about their team, what do you get when Tampa Bay plays in Calgary?

"Nuts & Bolts"

I know...I know.....15.gif14.gif ...my bad! LOL9.gifGO STONES!!!!!

I call mine a "wega". I don't take my usage and pronunciation lessons from Sony salespeople, thank you, Sister Mary Rosary did a fine job.

If they want to pronounce it "vega" then the sons of *****es oughta quit ****ing around and spell it "vega".

Excellent TV, by the way.

Ray----"Jags they are" is right.

I resist any commercial wording that calls for a self-conscious pronunciation. I call a Jaguar a "jag-wire" and a Porsche a "porsch".

I think that to do otherwise is pretentious, pompous and pandering to exactly what the admen want us to do. I won't fall into their trap.

If I'm gonna be pretentious and pompous I can think of my own ways to do it.2.gif

----------------

On 6/9/2004 10:12:25 AM Ray Garrison wrote:

A lot of high end products use a marketing technique of creating a mystique surrounding the pronunciation of the name.

VVega - Is it "Vay Ga" or "Way Ga"

Porche - Is it "Pour Shh" or "Pour Sha"

Jaguar - Is it "Jag Guar" or "Jag You Are"

----------------

This opens up a can of worms on whether to pronounce the word the way it originated or the way the adopting language would pronounce it.

The German pronunciation for Porche is Pour sha thats the way they pronounce an e at the end of a word.

Crepe is crehep in France but here some people pronounce it crape.

I heard a story that Prince Charles came to Berkeley California and was calling it Barclay until he was corrected and he said, Its our word!

Berkeley is near San Jose. Is that pronounced San Joes?

Well if a guy named Speaker don't know.....

Here in Illinois is an old town, founded by the French, named Bourbounais; originally "burr-bon-ay". Over the years it was "Illinoised" into "burr-bone-is". A natural thing as the northern part of Illinois was settled by people from New England and upstate New York. The kind of regional pronunciation that keeps things intersting, like "Vur-sales" Kentucky (Versailles) and "Lu-faye-it" Georgia (Lafeyette).

Now the local boobisie, real estate jerks and other booster types, insist on calling the town by it's original pronunciation. They figure this will make the town more attractive to the poorly educated (Southern Illinois and other such cow colleges) and socially anxious low-level white-collar workers now moving into the town. Nothing sells to such people like pomposity and pretension. These are the kind of people who refer to a house as a "home".

And meanwhile we get pureed by the Great Blender of American Commercial Society.

Lompoc California was in the W.C. Fields movie The Bank Dick and he called it Lom poc and that is the logical pronunciation but it is pronounced Lom poke. Its from a Chumash Indian word Lompoco for lake, so its logical to the people that live there to call it Lom poke. Believe me you dont want to go to Lom poke and say Lompoc, the whole place will immediately become silent and the whole town will stare at you!

Ive learned, when in Rome, do as the Romans do. Is that pronounced Rom ah?