10 audio lies

jpm

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What is your experience? Ever heard a good tube amp in your system?

I bet if you lined 20 amps up on shelf, Pablum could tell which was which with his back turned.

Funny, I actually believe I might be able to do five myself now. Damn, I think I can almost believe Kelly did that!

"I do object to the idea that I must buy into a "tube sound" or a "SET" sound or a "solid state sound". Sound is either accurately reproduced or it isn't."

SET amps reproduce sound more accurately then either PP or SS.

"As for myself, I am happy with my $109\pr (but purchased wisely for much less) Nordost Solar Winds, and think they sound a lot better in my system with familiar good recordings than the low-end Audioquests, the Monster Interlink400's, and the cheapos that came with my third VCR."

Chuck, you're delusional beyond comprehension. Your only hope now is to replace your Nordost $109/pair with the 'Shack $3/pair and pray!

----------------

On 6/14/2004 3:15:51 AM neo33 wrote:

Chuck, you're delusional beyond comprehension. Your only hope now is to replace your Nordost $109/pair with the 'Shack $3/pair and pray!
----------------

My last post to this p$ssing-contest of a thread:

In neo's universe, apparantly the definition of "delusional" is "not deaf, and possessing of audio equipment revealing enough to bring musical performances seemingly into your listening space".

It's just like my telling a wine connoisseur that it's all sour grapes - I don't have the discriminating tastes, or perhaps even the capability, to tell the difference.

... and your telling me what my "only hope" is assumes that I should, of necessity, be just like you, since of course, you are correct, and I am not.

I'm SO glad I have my ears, and not yours... although, it might have saved me a few bucks...

Thanks, Chuck.

i personnaly believe that if a 3000$ interconnect cable doesn't always make your system sound better, or even good, one can't deny it DOES affect the sound. I'm personnaly extremely happy with my Nordost solar Wind as well, wich isn't very expensive (obviously VERY expensive compared to Home Depot cable) and brings so much clarity and precision in the sound of my system.

As for SET amps... I doubt they're "uncoloured" amps. that doesn't mean they don't sound good. Maybe the closest thing to a "theorically" perfect amp is a digital amp. That doesn't mean it will sound good.

I'm sick of that kind of thread. What about respect? I'm not laughing at people who use 8 watts of SET to drive their horns. They probably get the sound THEY are after, for THEIR taste, and THEIR music.

I'm using "high" power SS amps, because they're able to stand the kind of output level I ask them for the music I like, wich includes rock, jazz, and electronica.

And if probably Mozart's Requiem would sound better on a SET amp (?), it doesn't sound bad at all on my system.

I'll never say the kind of amp i use is the only way to achieve good sound.

When I read a high-end hi-fi mag, i marvel at every product shown.

That's what i call loving audio gear.

----------------

On 6/13/2004 9:16:45 PM paulparrot wrote:

What is your experience? Ever heard a good tube amp in your system?

----------------

Any Western New Yorkers here? I'd love to have someone bring a decent tube amp over to my house for a listen on my CF-4's. I'd bring the CF-4's, but they're a tad too much for one man to carry and load solo.