OT: Help With Cleaning Problem!!

fini

Today I received a CRT monitor (eBay purchase-see picture) via FedEx. Very well packed, except the foam used (Instapak expanding foam) unfortnately got on the body of the monitor! Before I use some kind of chemical which might etch the monitor, I am trying to do a bit of research. I am awaiting a reply from the seller. The Instapak website was no help (they probably don't want to tell folks this stuff ruins plastic...).

Maybe one of my forum mates has run into a similar problem. It's right where the controls are, too! DRAG!!

post-3580-1381925591486_thumb.jpg

If the "Instapak" foam is chemically similar to Dow's "Great Stuff" (foam in a can), this does not sound good (from the Dow website):

How do I get GREAT STUFF off of the side of my house?

There is no solvent that will remove cured polyurethane foam. Remove as much as possible with a dull scraper or a hacksaw blade and then try scrubbing the remaining film with a non-abrasive cleaner. If that does not work gradually move up to more aggressive means until you start to damage the substrate. At that time you will have to consider sanding or sandblasting and repainting.

So, do I ask the seller to pitch in for sandblasting?

A mild universal solvent is mineral spirits. Not sure if it will work in this case but guaranteed not to etch or discolor your monitor. It may leave a film but that can be cleaned off with Windex. Also consider wd40 followed by Widex but do not use Goofoff or anything like it. Goof Off will hurt plastic. Pure ammonia may also work but try in hidden spot first. I'm a painting contractor and the above are a regular part of my arsenal for spills and other various problems.

----------------

On 6/9/2004 6:28:11 PM fini wrote:

At that time you will have to consider sanding or sandblasting and repainting.

----------------

Should work though... 3.gif Or another solution would be to consume the alcohol yourself, and eventually the blurred vision will make the foam un-noticeable.

Seriously though.... If it's like the home stuff, I've found very little around the house which works. Acetone will dissolve the foam... but dissolves plastic also. Regular paint thinners aren't strong enough. 14.gif

Rob

I'm pretty sure Goof-Off will melt the plastic. Nothing I've poured on a chunk of the foam seems to disolve it. They should make houses (or computer monitors) out of this stuff.

There's a product I've been using for about a year now called "Krud Kutter" and have found it able to remove LOTS of stuff. It's great for getting old tape residue from LP jackets--it works better than ANTHING I have ever used and it does NOT harm paper (you do have to worry about getting it too wet!). Anyway, I would give it a try.

origgallon.jpg

computer bomb.jpg

Seriously, you might want to try a little automobile break fluid on a small area.

After rubbing it on, clean it well with soap and water and do not let any of the liquids drip

inside the unit. Also maybe try toluene in the same manner.

Its used for furniture stripping and I have had luck with it in the past.

Use it very quickly in a small test area. Theres no guarantee here.

You just need to use caution. After removing the gunk and the surface

is dry it may leave a haze. Thats when I use WD-40 liberally.

Use it very quickly in a small test area. All plastics have different

reactions to these chemicals and so does your skin. So be careful.

Remember! Wash the solvent off . DO NOT let it stay on the unit.

I'm going to use Vaseline, and rub it all over the unit.

Actually, I knew acetone was going to be a bit too strong, but I used it anyway, with a scotchbrite pad. Mostly, the stuff is gone (along with some of the surface texture on the monitor case). What's left is a yellowish blobby smear on a black plastic monitor. I think the problem is this stuff chemically bonded with the plastic. Be careful to wrap your goodies if you use it!

ibm_front2.jpg

A Scotchbrite pad! Hmmmmmmmmm.I might of tried that too out of frustration.You are probably right.The instapak has become imbedded in the monitors plastic.You probably won't notice it after a while and the flash from a camera always seems to make things appear worse than they are in most pictures.One thing though fini, you did warn us about the Instapac's potential problems if the rest of us try to use it. Another thing. It seems to me that either the monitor or the Instapack had gotten pretty darn warm BEFORE the wrapping procedure. Perhaps one or both items were left in the sunlight just before packaging. Oh well. What was that saying. The road of good intentions is paved by the plans of men trying to hatch eggs that are counted by mice before the chickens are hatched? Or SOMETHING like dat.2.gif