Sub Help.

RRRush

For HT many folks around this board swear by SVS, so you may want to check them out as well. I can only comment on the RSW-15 as that's what I have, it is a great sub but may not dig as deep or with as much slam as others. I mostly use it for music though, and believe that is the strength of the RSW-15. Happy hunting.

I have listened to the SVS, Sunfire True sub and RSW-15. All are excellent and will complement your system very well. My personal choice was for the Sunfire Super Junior - it packs a solid punch all the way down to 25 Hz (but I have a smaller sized living room). The Sunfire true sub is an 11 inch cube and I believe goes down to about 21 Hz of solid, earth shattering bass.

I like the Sunfire subs versatility. As we all know, placement of subwoofers can be a tricky proposition for optimal output. My subwoofer "sweet spot" is mid way between my main speakers and rears, but the wall that it is on is a "focal point" of my other half's decorating. There is no way that I could have placed a RSW-15 there without it looking like a huge black box and guaranteed complaining from the wife.

I like that the Sunfire subs are small and can be placed in their optimal acoustical position without much fuss from the significant other half. Something to think about....

Milton

Down to 30 Hz, the RSW-15 is a major contender. Below 30 Hz it falls off a bit. Most humans don't hear much below 30 Hz, but you sure can feel it.

The SVS is the consensus on bang for the buck. I've never heard one, but the praise is consistent from the owners.

Another vote for the SVS. They tend to beable to go a decent amount lower than the others with more authority due to their huge size and volume. Since you say you would be using this mainly for movies, that would be your best choice... unless looks are a problem.

Havent heard the others, but didnt the Ear say the Paradigm was a good value?

If you search the forum for this common question, you will find that I recommend the RSW for better mid-bass punch and the SVS tubes for flatter, more accurate and lower bass

10.gif

----------------

On 6/13/2004 10:56:25 PM milton10 wrote:

There is no way that I could have placed a RSW-15 there without it looking like a huge black box and guaranteed complaining from the wife.

----------------

These are all great subs, and I'm sure you'd be pleased with any of them.

I think milton10 brings up an important point when comparing these subs for size vs output. I noticed all these units have a relatively small foot print... but do vary quite a bit in the overall size. I think this is an important choice to make which isn't directly related to audio.

As you may already know Hoffmans iron law which limits the designer to balance "box size" with "bass extension" and "efficiency". You can't have it all... in other words the smaller sub will loose some low bass extension and overall output. I think the Sunfire / RSW / SVS follow this trend pretty well (OTH, I'm not familiar with the SPL series).

Personally I was willing to sacrifice size for increased output and bass extension, but we don't all have the same requirements.

Later...

Rob

The Sunfire Signature EQ. is a good sub for just under 2 Grand. The Automatic

room optimizing feature with it's supplied microphone is a very helpful feature. It's a 13" cube, not 11" as mentioned earlier.

I have the Signature and have been pleased with it.