How embarrassing was that?

boomac

The bass player backing up the Poetry Lady, at the Jazz Kitchen, was good. During a break from the poetry, I asked him who his favorite bass player was. "Ray Brown", he said without hesitation. Oh no! Who was Ray Brown? Since I've gotten in to jazz, I've learned quite a lot, or so I thought. But who was Ray Brown? I felt like, well, never mind. Anyway, he was kind enough to indulge me and we ended up having a nice conversation. Ray Brown played with Oscar Peterson, one of the jazz giants that I haven't become, all that, familiar with. I guess it's time.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just last night we were listening to "This One's For Blanton" on vinyl. One of my favorite records. You might like "Very Tall" with Oscar Peterson and Milt Jackson. Ray Brown's "appears on" listing at allmusic.com is absolutely amazing. Go to www.allmusic.com, type "Ray Brown" in the search field, click the first listing, scroll down to "appears on" and select "click here for more" and wait while it loads....

Hopefully the Jazz Sensei (Allan Songer) will chime in here with his usual, very valuable picks. Ray Brown was a MONSTER presence in American jazz. Not to mention a valuable mentor to many, many players. I saw one of his last student/proteges a couple of weeks ago. Kristin Korb is a very talented singer/player and can be heard often in and around Southern California.

Chris

I know the "purple" poetry lady has been given a hard time, especially over in General Questions. But at least she wasn't boring or performing by rote. And reading poetry with jazz has a long background, going back to the 1950s and Kenneth Rexroth out in San Francisco.

----------------

On 6/15/2004 10:23:19 AM paulparrot wrote:

I know the "purple" poetry lady has been given a hard time, especially over in General Questions. But at least she wasn't boring or performing by rote. And reading poetry with jazz has a long background, going back to the 1950s and Kenneth Rexroth out in San Francisco.----------------

Mr. Parrot,

Jazz and poetry goes farther back than Kenneth Rexroth in San Francisco and the 1950's. Have you ever heard of Langston Hughes? How about Harlem?

Klipsch out.

Boomac,

The richness of Jazz and it's contributors requires more than a few years of exposure. Keep listening and reading. IF it's any comfort to you, I have no idea of the name of any musician on the oft referenced DSOTM, or most other rock music.

Klipsch out.

-------------------------------

On 6/15/2004 9:24:15 AM boomac wrote:

The bass player backing up the Poetry Lady, at the Jazz Kitchen, was good. During a break from the poetry, I asked him who his favorite bass player was. "Ray Brown", he said without hesitation. Oh no! Who was Ray Brown? Since I've gotten in to jazz, I've learned quite a lot, or so I thought. But who was Ray Brown? I felt like, well, never mind. Anyway, he was kind enough to indulge me and we ended up having a nice conversation. Ray Brown played with Oscar Peterson, one of the jazz giants that I haven't become, all that, familiar with. I guess it's time.
----------------

Boomac,

You're welcome to borrow my copy of Jazz for Dummies if you wish. You could then mail it along to paulparrot when you're up to speed. 2.gif He seems to be misinformed as well. 9.gif

----------------

On 6/15/2004 3:54:28 PM jazman wrote:

Have you ever heard of Langston Hughes?

----------------

You mean the Communist?

----------------

How about Harlem?

----------------

I used to love watching the Harlem Globetrotters as a kid. That's pretty much the extent of my experience with it.

Langston Hughes is a giant of 20th Century American letters, Mr. Parrot. Are you really this ignorant or was this just you trying to be funny? Just wondering . . .

What happens to a dream deferred?

Does it dry up

Like a raisin in the sun?

Or fester like a sore--

And then run?

Does it stink like rotten meat?

Or crust and sugar over--

like a syrupy sweet?

Maybe it just sags

like a heavy load.

Or does it explode?

How about Harlem?

----------------

----------------

On 6/15/2004 4:37:48 PM paulparrot wrote:

----------------

I used to love watching the Harlem Globetrotters as a kid. That's pretty much the extent of my experience with it.

----------------

Meadowlark Lemon was the bomb! LMAO

----------------

On 6/15/2004 4:37:48 PM paulparrot wrote:

----------------

Have you ever heard of Langston Hughes?

----------------

You mean the Communist?

----------------

How about Harlem?

----------------

----------------

Mr. Parrot,

I would once again ask you to refrain from discussing things which you have little to no knowledge of.

Klipsch out.

For educational purposes just wanted to show the hatred the fellow had in him. I have deleted the text of the poem in case it would offend anyone. If anyone who didn't see it cares to look it up, it is easily found with a search engine.

The unstructured poem doesn't even rhyme and the lines are of haphazard length.

----------------

On 6/15/2004 6:01:45 PM paulparrot wrote:

For educational purposes just wanted to show the hatred the fellow had in him. I have deleted the text of the poem in case it would offend anyone. If anyone who didn't see it cares to look it up, it is easily found with a search engine.

----------------

Paul, you REALLY need to stop with this stuff! Even though this is HILARIOUS for anyone who has ever seriously studied 20th century American poetry, it really makes you look like a fool.

----------------

On 6/15/2004 6:01:45 PM paulparrot wrote:

----------------

Yes, it's quite tough to wrap one's narrow mind around isn't it? That is, of course, if one's mind should happen to suffer in that regard.

Anyway, Ray Brown sure is a heavy. I'm partial to his work with Carmen McRae. Man, that lady could scat like nobody's business. They had quite a chemistry. Hadn't thought about them in a while... More to buy, more to buy....

"Man, that lady could 'scat' like nobody's business."

Oxford Dictionary:

scat - Pronunciation Key: (skat)

n. Excrement, especially of an animal; dung.

Hmmm, must be a better choice of word.

----------------

On 6/15/2004 6:25:49 PM neo33 wrote:

"Man, that lady could 'scat' like nobody's business."

Oxford Dictionary:

scat - Pronunciation Key: (skat)

n. Excrement, especially of an animal; dung.

Hmmm, must be a better choice of word.
----------------

Yes, it's quite tough to wrap one's narrow mind around isn't it? That is, of course, if one's mind should happen to suffer in that regard.