receiver opinions

audiobliss

I'm looking for a new updated receiver. I know that in the end it boils down to what sounds best to me but I would like opinions. It will be used for both movies and music but music is my priority because most modern receivers do movies well. The only 3 brands I'm considering are Marantz, Denon, and Integra. One local dealer carries Denon and Klipsch and it sounded pretty good. The other one that carries Integra doesn't carry Klipsch. I heard it on some other speakers and it sounded good. That same store stopped carrying Marantz. I heard that Marantz is very musical but has quality issues. What do you guys think is the best match between only those 3 brands and Klipsch speakers, especially musically? Don't have the speakers yet but I'm working on it. The setup will be:

RF15 mains

RC 25 center

RS25 rears

Def Tech 10" sub(still remains

from my old setup)

Welcome to the forum!!!

FYI, Denon purchased Marantz. Denon is very popular. Denon's weakest link is their owner's manual. These machines are getting more complex and need good instructions. The model that I would recommend as maximum bang for the buck is the 3805 WITH the microphne for acoustic room correction.

I have owned several Integra receivers. They are very good, but tend to not make their rated power.

I would recommend that you add Pioneer Elite receivers to your short list.

Bill

Thanks Bill! I'm not really a pioneer fan. I have heard good things about Denon. I just hope that since they have merged with Marantz that they too will not start having quality issues. My local dealer that carries Integra just started carrying it but he raves about it. What about convenience features such as the remote, etc. The integra remote looks pretty good. I think it was the DTR-5.4 I was looking at. I think the Denon model in that price range is the 1804. Do you have any experience with how these 2 models compare head to head?

My experience is with the Integra 7 series which has a super remote control. Between the two models that you are interested in, I would recommend the Denon. Be advised that Denon's manuals are not easy to follow. The Denon xxx5 series, led by the Denon 3805, is just starting to come out. If you wait a bit, the 1804s will fall to closeout prices.

In that price range, I would recommend the Pioneer Elite VSX-53TX. The new Pioneer Elites are much better that their non-elite gear.

Bill

From what I've heard, Integra is the most reliable receiver out there; but that is probably open to debate.

As for performance, I think either the Denon or Integra would be fine, but personally, I would take the Denon because of the auto set-up with parametric EQ - very cool, plus, my Pioneer Elite 55TXi has a similar feature, and it works very well.

The Pioneer also has a firewire connection that neither the Denon or Integra offer in that price range, but you are not considering Pioneer, so that is a moot point.

I agree - Denon 3805 is a very good reciever. Sounds good, perfect match with my heresys, finish perfect, nice features - best bang for the buck.

The only complaints i have is the manual (really sucks) and my remote touch panel has sometimes dropouts - get another in a few days.

Hi audiobliss,

For what it's worth, my set up is 2 RF15, RC25, 4 RB15, RW12. I own the Denon 3805 and it sounds great! Granted, I'm more into movies than music, but I think it would be a great match for you. They run anywhere from $900 to $1100. Just make sure you buy from an authorized dealer, or your warranty won't be honored.

Hope this helps.

cyclones22

Thanks for the useful info. guys. It looks like Denon is the popular choice on this forum. I've just heard from some that Denon is much more geared towards movies and sounds a little too "digital" on music. I just don't want to be disappointed with 2 channel music reproduction. I may have to see if it is possible for me to demo both the Integra and the Denon in my home.

I wish I would have been able to check in sooner. I own a Marantz SR-7400 w/ my Rx-25 system and LOVE it. Its performance w/ music is awesome. The remote is one of the best I've seen. It's pre-programmed w/ most manufacturers codes (all my other stuff is JVC and it controls them better than the remote for my JVC receiver did). It will also learn and you can program macros. I love Denon a great deal, but I think you ought to check out the Marantz.

John