Which midprice amp to use with my receiver?

PaulE

I have a Sony STR-V333ES receiver, to which I want to attach a 2 channel amp to run my front R&L speakers for better classical music listening....I'm looking in the $500 - $700 area, for a 2 channel amp in the 100 to 130 w/c power range. The research I've done as shown me 3 possibilites: Acurus A100, Rotel 981, Nad 2200 or C-270, and Anthem MCA-2. Does anybody have experience with these, and any recommendations?

Keith, to put it nicely as I can, look at the specs on both the SB3 and the RB5...Freq response is virtually the same, same size drivers...one is copper...Whooooo. In comparing these 2 lines, I have heard reviews from people comparing the floor standing models, and some have liked the bass response better on the Synergies. Sure, the Reference is marketed as the better sexier line...But sound wise, I believe they are very close....Not just from what I've heard, but from others's reviews as well....Sure, youre welcome to your opinion, but I just dont think the difference is that big. Maybe you'll hear it; maybe you wont...that kind of thing....

No,that's not my opinion,that my recommendation.The amp will not give you sound that will be worth the cost of the amp(with your present speakers).That is my opinion.Good luck to you.

Keith

You don't say what you're trying to correct, so It's hard to recommend a particular amp. However, I have a Parasound HCA-1000A that fits your bill and will have high damping to control the speaker, especially in the bass. It runs in Class A up to about 1.6 watts.

John

John, its not that I'm trying to 'correct' anything.. If youre ever a fan of classical music, you'll know that the amount of dynamics the music brings to the hardware is huge. From what I've been reading, good HT receivers may do an excellent job in that area...But if they tend to fall down in any area, its in the musicality side of things, and particularly with classical music, and the demands it makes on the components. So, I'm trying to improve the overall soundquality of classical music. I want the piano notes to be sharper. I want the tone to feel 'warmer'. I want the strings to sound more 'individual' and less 'shrill', etc, etc...Its a general improvement in SQ I'm looking for...And I've read that the amps I referred to in the heading, driven by the preamp in my Sony ES receiver might provide me with this....Its through threads like these, hopefully from people who have made similar upgrades, that I hope to learn whether or not this is a good thing to persue....Thanks.

quote:

Originally posted by paulaelliott:

John, its not that I'm trying to 'correct' anything.. If youre ever a fan of classical music, you'll know that the amount of dynamics the music brings to the hardware is huge. From what I've been reading, good HT receivers may do an excellent job in that area...But if they tend to fall down in any area, its in the musicality side of things, and particularly with classical music, and the demands it makes on the components. So, I'm trying to improve the overall soundquality of classical music. I want the piano notes to be sharper. I want the tone to feel 'warmer'. I want the strings to sound more 'individual' and less 'shrill', etc, etc...Its a general improvement in SQ I'm looking for...And I've read that the amps I referred to in the heading, driven by the preamp in my Sony ES receiver might provide me with this....Its through threads like these, hopefully from people who have made similar upgrades, that I hope to learn whether or not this is a good thing to persue....Thanks.

I guess I'm the main Harman Kardon guy here so I'll start by recommending them first. They offer 3 or 4 stereo amps from 45 to 200 watts per channel. I am most familiar with the sound and technology behind this brand so I highly recommend them, esp. based on what you've stated. I also suggest trying NAD. NAD offers almost the same performance for slightly more money and greater snob appeal. Good luck and happy listening.

>>. I also suggest trying NAD. NAD offers almost the same performance for slightly more money and greater snob appeal<<

Really? Lets see, Nad has the 2 channel C-270, 120 W/c for about $600 - $700. Are you telling me that HK has a similar amp at a similar price with similar power? I'd be very surprised if this were true, as my research has shown me that it costs considerably more to get a 100 wpc amp from HK. If youre right, please reply with model number...thanks ..

quote:

Originally posted by paulaelliott:

>>. I also suggest trying NAD. NAD offers almost the same performance for slightly more money and greater snob appeal<<

Really? Lets see, Nad has the 2 channel C-270, 120 W/c for about $600 - $700. Are you telling me that HK has a similar amp at a similar price with similar power? I'd be very surprised if this were true, as my research has shown me that it costs considerably more to get a 100 wpc amp from HK. If youre right, please reply with model number...thanks ..

HK model PA 2000 delivers 100 wpc. It can be had at Vanns.com for $500.

If you're OK with factory refurbished, you can get a high-current HK Signature 2.1 5ch 100wpc amp for under $700...

http://www.harmanaudio.com/search_browse/searchbrowse.asp?urlProductType=PPT& urlMarketSegment=HOM

The PA2000 is also available directly from www.harmanaudio.com for $499.

This message has been edited by dougdrake2 on 07-16-2001 at 02:26 PM