Why own Klipschorns? Here's why I do

Parrot

Jesus,

The hypocrisy espoused on this forum by some members is enough to make any reasonable person ill. Oh we want a moderator, oh we need to end the flame wars, yada yada yada.

Meanwhile, there is one person here who is nothing more than a troll (which a quick search on their posts will prove beyond any doubt) and another who simply baits and baits and baits. Then once someone takes the bait, they cry foul.

It is amazing Tom catches grief because he tries to expand knowledge while others seek to limit any discussion outside of PP amps and KHorns. This is now apparently the Stepford Forum.

I would bet money that several of the people doing the baiting here in this thread are the same ones who run to the moderators and whine.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

----------------

On 6/21/2004 9:29:49 PM Anarchist wrote:

I would bet money that several of the people doing the baiting here in this thread are the same ones who run to the moderators and whine.

----------------

I'd bet money on that !!!

Annarchist,

I think you are taking things way too seriously. You've had your knickers in a twist for weeks now. Do you do anything but complain about the sorry state of a moderated forum or proclaim your animosity to me?

Some others,

If there is anything that one would think would be non-controversial here, it is that the Klipschorn is the finest loudspeaker system in the world.

But no, in the spirit of open-mindedness and everyone having a right to his own opinion, no matter how uninformed, it turns out that all speakers are the greatest speakers in the world, just like all amps are the greatest amps in the world. Let's not step on anyone's toes or bruise anyone's sensitive feelings.

It's ALL ear candy. All of it.

Instead debating which is "best", maybe we should spend more time talking specifics -- as in what it is in the sound that we like.

My "end-all" system would be a wall of Magnepans being pushed with 5000 watts of Krell. Of course, I would continue to use the Klipschorns as near-field monitors as I do now.9.gif

Tubelover wrote: Seriously, can you come close to a K-horn soundwise for the pricepoint?

:Lets see, 828 cabs $200

515Bs 450

1005s 500

288s 250

811/902s 200

xover 100

sum $1700

Probably does not have the bass slam of a Khorn but it beats the H out of the mid range. My Klipsch credentials are 78 La Scalas with ALKs.

Jim N

----------------

On 6/21/2004 10:13:23 PM AK-4 wrote:

It's ALL ear candy. All of it.

Instead debating which is "best", maybe we should spend more time talking specifics -- as in what it is in the sound that we like.

----------------

Candy's for kids, Dean.

In the first post, before naysayers and trolls hijacked the thread, I mentioned a couple attributes of the Klipschorn:

Its hairtrigger-activated ability to go from the faintest, barely discernible, hint of a mist of sound, to the full-blown assault of a 100+ piece orchestra, and choir. And, at one extreme or the other and all points in between, do it without so much as breaking a sweat.

And sound as good as it does!

Tom is right though, there are much more serious driver/horn combinations out there, with dynamic capabilities easily surpassing that found in the Klipschorn. I think the strength of the Klipschorn is that the sum of the parts deliver much better than one would expect, and what I like about the Klipschorn is its balance. They look really nice too, like something that actually belongs in the home.

Sunnysal... I hope to never see or imagine you for real in a speedo butt floss swimsuit if your @** is really that hairy. LOL..

People do not know or understand Paul Parrots humor.. The one liners are pricelss sometimes to break up the seriousness of some of the posters.. I assure you, he is a GREAT guy in person and almost seems a little shy, but well informed too.

Sure we can agree to dissagree this BB. This is, afterall, a free country. But to say (I know an easy target like BOSE) say a Bose cube system would outperform a k horn HT with a Belle or la scala or Older Cornwall II center is just crazy, Only a complete idiot would say the Bose sounds better. Now that same person not an idiot wants something small that sounds big to fit on the wall with average performance finds the BOSE a home run and thats ok too. (My cousin..LOL)

----------------

On 6/21/2004 6:34:53 PM IndyKlipschFan wrote:

Tubelover...Said,

"I notice in your system profile that you do not own Edgarhorns. That pretty much says it all."

===============================================

I did not think or say they sucked...they were very good. Just not my cup of tea is all. We all hear things differently as I said would be boring if there was only one speaker accepted as the only one to liten to anything audio wise. I happen to think the K horns in a room appropriate for them, sound better. But like I said, to each his... or in your case her, own.

And just because I do not own them at this time does not mean I, (1) may have in the past... or (2) have heard many of Dr Edgar's speakers over time, and know what I am talking about too. Seeing how you never cared to ask, how would you know?

Last, just because I have never driven a Formula One car does that mean also I can't appreciate it, too, as well? It seems your very closed minded yourself. THAT pretty much sais it all to me. ----------------

Why are you insulting me IndyKlipschFan? I did not insult you. I stated that you do not own Edgarhorns based on your profile. My presumption of your system profile is that you prefer Klipsch products (K-horns) over Edgarhorns.

----------------

On 6/21/2004 10:21:35 PM jnorv wrote:

Tubelover wrote: Seriously, can you come close to a K-horn soundwise for the pricepoint?

515Bs 450

1005s 500

288s 250

811/902s 200

xover 100

sum $1700

Probably does not have the bass slam of a Khorn but it beats the H out of the mid range. My Klipsch credentials are 78 La Scalas with ALKs.

Jim N
----------------

This is too much trouble for most. And will it look as good as a used K-horn which you can find in the same price point?

----------------

On 6/21/2004 10:54:12 PM jnorv wrote:

Pardon my obtuseness. I did not realize that we had switched the debate from “sonic quality” to convenience and WAF.

----------------

That's all right, no harm done. But if you're going to offer a price list, you certainly have to talk about labor.

And as Dean said, balance is important. If your set-up has worse bass and "better" midrange, then it lacks the balance of the Klipschorn.

Tubelover... said "That pretty much says it all."

Why are you insulting me IndyKlipschFan?

=========================================================

Not insulting you, you said a comment like just because I do not have them in my profile.... Somehow this excludes me from an opinion. As it is, like I also stated, I have at least heard them on more than one occasion. I have met Dr Bruce Edgar 3 times... He is a very nice guy... He has followers that are like Pauls too.. very deddicated.

I thought your comment was like well if you do have them you have no idea or right to an opinion or know what your talking about. Man or woman... In this case, I do. The Edgar horns are enormous... That is a fact no one can deny. Much much bigger with the non corner placement issues too.

Actually, minus the lower end... My own opinion again... The Avant Gardes or about the only other speaker that gave me the rush I had with the K horns at 15 yrs old and still do today too. I have heard some VOTT speakers too that in a very large room turned up are nice with a earthquake sub? And some others too.

Another thing I may add, is you can have different Klispch for different applications too, that you just love. I have a 16X12 room too for an office.. K hrns by the time you make room for a very large desk and credenza and book case would be too much in here to even handle or be enjoyable in a work environmet. Just a few more feet here and there...in say a family room... Say 22x16 and they rock!!

----------------

On 6/21/2004 10:21:35 PM jnorv wrote:

515Bs 450

1005s 500

288s 250

811/902s 200

xover 100

sum $1700

Jim N
----------------

Why work so hard if you can get an Altec 19 for less than that?

----------------

On 6/21/2004 6:03:51 PM neo33 wrote:

Your sole purpose here is to provoke. BTW, ladies don't use vulgar language and they don't troll! Get it!
----------------

So, what is your purpose here then NEO? Technical expertise? lol

Paul---Not a whole lot of labor involved in putting an A5 together. You bolt the horn to the driver and then bolt the horn to the sled. Bolt the sled to the bassbin and run the wires from the crossover to the drivers. Not much work. Certainly not for a hobbyist. Indeed, hobbyists generally ENJOY that kind of work.

One can turn arguements Parrot. If a Khorn has better bass but worse midrange than an A5 it lacks the good balance of the A5. Facile, eh?

Anyway Paul, you ever even heard an A5? You've yet to establish comparing Klipsch and Altec that you have any experience, especially with the more esoteric Altecs like A5s, A4s and 210 Splits.

Whereas I've sure as Hell heard lots of Klipsches, and owned them too.

----------------

On 6/21/2004 6:16:13 PM neo33 wrote:

"Even Trinity swears."

Trinity is an exception. Trinity and Neo are one and the same!

My point is tubelover is a female-wannabe (read transvestite). Maybe he can't stand being a male with his "soft" side. LOL.----------------

Does this indicate that you are not heterosexual then?

----------------

On 6/21/2004 9:29:49 PM Anarchist wrote:

Jesus,

The hypocrisy espoused on this forum by some members is enough to make any reasonable person ill. Oh we want a moderator, oh we need to end the flame wars, yada yada yada.

Meanwhile, there is one person here who is nothing more than a troll (which a quick search on their posts will prove beyond any doubt) and another who simply baits and baits and baits. Then once someone takes the bait, they cry foul.

It is amazing Tom catches grief because he tries to expand knowledge while others seek to limit any discussion outside of PP amps and KHorns. This is now apparently the Stepford Forum.

I would bet money that several of the people doing the baiting here in this thread are the same ones who run to the moderators and whine.----------------

I agree whole-heartedly Anarchist <---the trolls are absolutely senseless.

----------------

On 6/21/2004 11:08:32 PM TBrennan wrote:

Not a whole lot of labor involved in putting an A5 together. You bolt the horn to the driver and then bolt the horn to the sled. Bolt the sled to the bassbin and run the wires from the crossover to the drivers. Not much work. Certainly not for a hobbyist. Indeed, hobbyists generally ENJOY that kind of work.

One can turn arguements Parrot. If a Khorn has better bass but worse midrange than an A5 it lacks the good balance of the A5. Facile, eh?

Anyway Paul, you ever even heard an A5? You've yet to establish comparing Klipsch and Altec that you have any experience, especially with the more esoteric Altecs like A5s, A4s and 210 Splits.

Whereas I've sure as Hell heard lots of Klipsches, and owned them too.

----------------

No, o wise old man of unlimited horn experience, I don't think I have heard the A5. But I'd take it over a JBL, any model, without even auditioning.

More to the point, I have owned Khorns for 17 years. You've owned Khorns for, let me calculate the math now, exactly ZERO years. And if the A5 was the alpha and the omega, you should have a pair rather than Heresies, apartment be damned. Unless you thrive on being contrary.