Car Subwoofer

larrymaher

I am new to Car Subs? And I hope this isn't posted in the wrong place on this site, sorry if it is.

My Question, I have a 2004 Honda Accord and want to add a subwoofer to the factory sound system for more "thump".

Can anyone recommend one? I was hoping Circuit City could install one for me, or is it easy to do?

Do they get placed in the trunk? Would 300 dollars get me much?

thanks for the help and info!

I picked up an Image Dynamics 10" dual-voice coil sub, coupled it with a .65 cu ft sealed box, and a 300watt mono sub amp from Rockford for about $300 online. Installed it myself. It provides tons of clean, tight bass, and can be the car that goes boom if I want it to (which is never 2.gif).

----------------

On 6/25/2004 9:32:01 AM larrymaher wrote:

I am new to Car Subs? And I hope this isn't posted in the wrong place on this site, sorry if it is.

My Question, I have a 2004 Honda Accord and want to add a subwoofer to the factory sound system for more "thump".

Can anyone recommend one? I was hoping Circuit City could install one for me, or is it easy to do?

----------------

This is the wrong forum I believe, however I'll quickly give you some info since I'm familiar with both home and auto sound.

JL is a good brand for the money.

Circuit City and Best Buy are decent places for install, however I've always done it myself. If you are a complete novice then I would have somebody do it for you.

They will place it in the trunk unless you want a custom job somewhere else in the auto, however the best performance due to the size of the enclosure is the trunk.

$300 won't do it. For an entry level single sub you'll pay $100 for the driver, $100 for the enclosure, $300 for the amplifier and/or crossover and around $100 for amp/sub installation. I'd say minimum $500 for the whole setup if you can get a deal unless you want to buy some really shoddy equipment.

If I were you I may study the install process for a week or so then try it yourself so you can do upgrades yourself in the future if you like. Familiarize yourself with simple DC current principles, make sure you can locate and apply the power to the battery/amp, fuse between the 2, ground to the chassis, remote turn on to the head unit, speakers with proper load to the amp, and find a good mounting location.

However, it will be a pain to wire a sub to your factory deck since you'll need a converter for your 4+ speaks to remain fronts and to wire to high-level inputs into your amp. Purchase a simple aftermarket head unit with low-level outputs for your sub amp and you will save yourself a heap of trouble...plus it will sound better than your factory head unit. Trust me...all aftermarket head units are better than any factory one.

----------------

On 6/25/2004 3:02:37 PM skeptic wrote:

"Trust me...all aftermarket head units are better than any factory one."

*ALL* generalizations are false.

----------------

Barring the obvious $50 radio shack units or similar. Otherwise it holds true. You must not do much with car audio or you have too much time to point out trivialities.

$300 is probably not going to get you too much in terms of a sub, an ported or sealed enclosure, wiring and installation fees (and installation is in my opinion the most underrated and possibly most important component of autosound)...AND...what will probably be most recommended, which is an amp to drive your sub, since your headunit will not, no matter how one puts it, provide enough juice to properly drive the sub.

----------------

On 6/25/2004 11:26:46 PM CAS wrote:

----------------

On 6/25/2004 3:02:37 PM skeptic wrote:

"Trust me...all aftermarket head units are better than any factory one."

*ALL* generalizations are false.

----------------

Barring the obvious $50 radio shack units or similar. Otherwise it holds true. You must not do much with car audio or you have too much time to point out trivialities.

----------------

Right on CAS,this Skeptic is so informative and helping its scary.

Yeah, the Mark Levinson premium audio system isn't too shabby at all. (My dad owns it). It's very clear and crisp, and it's probably the tightest bass i've heard ever coming out of a built-to-order option, although not nearly as good as what halfway decent subs and an amp could deliver.

----------------

On 6/25/2004 9:32:01 AM larrymaher wrote:

----------------

Yeah, you did post to the wrong forum. This is ment for home audio.

But anyway, this is my take on it.

In a 1999 Saturn SL-2, I have a JL Audio 12 inch W3II hooked up to a JL Audio 500/5 amp (the other four channels going to two pairs of MB Quarts (Premium up front and Reference in the rear - with an Alpine deck to head it all up).

The subwoofer adds some serious punch to the bottom end. I imaigine it can really "thump", but I don't have my car system setup to thump the whole neighborhood. This is setup to be an "audiophile" type system, with emphasize on quality over quantity. However, it is not going to happen for under $300.

Even in my old truck, I have a 10 inch JL Audio 10 inch W0 sub with a 375 watt Alpine amp, which sounds great, but it was a good $500 installed, and that was cheapest option that I could find at a good dealer (not the Wally*World crap). The only gripe I have with that is the amp has a fixed 80hz crossover, and that truck system is lacking in mid-range. It only has a pair of 4-inch Boston Acoustics CX4e's up front with a Clarion CD deck - still not bad for the $600 or so I spent on the complete system, installed - and the only reason I bothered was because that POS cheap Sony setup that was in there before was pretty much broken. The cassette deck would not play any tapes, and the radio tuner did not work very well, plus the display was completely busted - could not even see what station you were on. Kinda funny to hear some pretty serious "thump" comming out of a beat-up old 1990 Mazda B2200 pickup truck. 11.gif

Since you guys are on the subject anyway, what do you think about Adire Audio? My brother is looking to put a system into a '90 probe. I have heard good things about their subs. Do you think a 15" Brahma is worth the cost or do you know of a better sub in the same price range?

I know this is way off topic, but do you know if their component speakers (Koda 6) are any good?

Thanks for any help/info

Toph

----------------

On 6/29/2004 7:55:09 PM Toph wrote:

what do you think about Adire Audio?

----------------

Adire have a good reputation when it comes to subs. Unlike some overrated and overpriced drivers with chrome baskets and blue LEDs... they concentrate on good Thiel/Small parameters at a reasonable price. They offer honest performance for the $. You may want to also look at Resonant Engineering at http://www.respl.com/ and Elemental Designs at http://www.edesignaudio.com/

I have not auditioned Adire separates...

Later...

Rob

I am a big supporter of Kicker subs - you can check out their range of subs to offer, with a corresponding amplifier as well to power the sub, as your factory pre will not support it.

Just a few days back, got a demo of a JBL bass tube, lovely black colour, installed in his hatchback, and it blew my hair the other way! You have got to check those JBL bass tubes out! he got the 10' one but they have 12' ones too! I believe the model number was CT-1000 for my friends' it only cost USD 150!! And he paid USD 100 for a non branded Taiwan made amp, which you can replace with a good one to get even better bass action!!