The rumours are true - DVD Consortium bullies Zenith into compliance!

Griffinator

Yep, everything you've heard on other forums is true. In August, Zenith will be "upgrading" the software on the DVB-318 player to disable the 720p/1080i via component video.

Why? I can't figure it out, nor could the Zenith rep I talked to this morning.

A DVD, by nature of its MPEG-2 compression limitations, is 480 lines per frame. Why is it that the consortium would find it necessary to abridge someone outputting an analog upsampling (done at the software level by the player) of this output, when they'll allow someone to output a full-rez signal (480p) through that same analog output....

Griff: Is this all being done under the guise of "copyright protection"? Can you identify for us whom the biggest players (companies) are in this consortium that would have sufficent leverage to bully someone as large as Zenith? -Thanks for the info.

That's funny, I heard DVD audio was all analog out because analog made it harder to pirate? As a programmer it seems to me that digital streams would be much easier to capture. Sure, they can be encrypted but the encryption schemes used on common consumer electronics are a joke. I think DVD is 40 to 54 bit which is considered "exportable strength", we don't care who has the technology because it is very crackable.

Grif I heard that the typical 75ohm cables couldn't carry much more than 480p? This is obviously false.

I just received mine 2 days ago. I guess I beat the deadline...but do you think they'll sneak in this "update" via the next firmware that addresses the 318's other issues i.e. white crush via DVI and color/contrast/brightness control? That would suck if that's their plan...7.gif

cyclones22

I just got mine also. I am glad I got it now because I use the compents. I new they were going to do this.

The rumor is that they are going to have it on disk with a firmware update. I just wonder if they are going to send it to everyone or do you have to call and ask for it. HOW IS THIS GOING TO WORK? I bet in a couple of months the players with this are going to be going for a lot on ebay. Griff any more?

----------------

On 7/2/2004 9:18:38 AM damonrpayne wrote:

That's funny, I heard DVD audio was all analog out because analog made it harder to pirate? As a programmer it seems to me that digital streams would be much easier to capture. Sure, they can be encrypted but the encryption schemes used on common consumer electronics are a joke. I think DVD is 40 to 54 bit which is considered "exportable strength", we don't care who has the technology because it is very crackable.

Grif I heard that the typical 75ohm cables couldn't carry much more than 480p? This is obviously false.

----------------

Ironic, isn't it? They won't allow an analog connection for fear of piracy, but they'll allow firewire transfers, which are digital, but unencryptable. Something is rotten in Denmark, indeed.

You definitely heard incorrectly on 75ohm cabling. A solidly built set of component cables will carry full-bandwidth HD beautifully.

I bet DVD-A and SACD would be much more popular if they didn't need that retarded 6 channel output. 7.gif

What I see is a lack of standards. It seems both parties should have come up with a solution that addressed both image quality and copyright and then consumers could plug and play, and be done with it.

----------------

On 7/2/2004 9:18:38 AM damonrpayne wrote:

----------------

As Griff said, that is false. I just recently received my second 318 player (thanks, Griff), and my Panasonic plasma shows a locked-in HD color matrix from both machines, over component. The HD picture is not perfect HD, but everyone who has this player agrees that it is probably broadcast-quality HD(say if you watch a NBC broadcast in HD). Considering the player can be found for $200 or less, that is amazing.

Simply the best picture I have ever seen from a DVD player. Glad I got my second one before Zenith caved. The current models upscale all DVDs, regardless of whether they are copyrighted disks or not (contrary to what the manual says).

Carl.

This also means that I'm pulling the plug on any further sales. I can't take the risk for y'all's sakes that, even if I get you one that upsamples component, that if it's a dud, Zenith won't replace it with one that doesn't.

Sad, that the Consortium has more control over how DVD's are played back then the HD broadcast ppl have over how their signals are sent. Component out is standard on any HD broadcast tuner, whether sattelite, cable, or off-air.

Gestapo, my friends. The entertainment industry, both music and multimedia, has become a gestapo.

I guess I will need to pick one up real soon! I guess I should check the box to see when it was manufactured, and apply no firmware updates. Would those that own one say it looks alot better than a standard dvd pic. Are you using the dvi or the comp output?

Thanks3.gif

There is a substantial improvement in picture quality over the picture available from a stock DVD player. I am using component cables. DVi is available, but DVi playback has some white crush issues(where greys on up all look white). I tried both DVi and component and agree with most that upscaling over component provides the best picture with this player. If you want to know more about availability, feel free to PM me or look up the monster thread over at the AVSForum with the title of this player, in the DVD players section.

Carl.