klipschorn Photos

edwinr

My Klipschorns arrived yesterday by truck from Sydney. I was surprised to see they were oiled walnut veneer, not oak. Walnut was my preferred option anyway. The speakers were manufactured in 1980. They have been rewired with high grade cable sometime during the last couple of years.

The veneer is perfect. Grills are natural cane in colour.

Lets hope this gets through, been trying all morning. The first picture is the music room with Khorns in place.

As soon as they arrived I did the usual thing, clean, oil and inspect. Everything was where it should be. The gasket was perfect so? ..straight into the corners. I've heard others having room tuning problems. I didn't. I immediately entered into audio bliss. The soundstage was to die for - it was like the room became part of the speakers - sensational! The tone! Wow! It's an old fashioned term but these Klipschorn are truly full range speakers.

The scary thing is this design is 50 plus years old. My Khorn's are 25 years old. During my many months of speaker auditioning for a high end design, NOTHING, came close to these. I am not talking about these itty bitty hi-fi terms that this speaker does this better, or that speaker does that better - that's all irrelevant. The Klipschorns play music better than ANY speaker that I could every reasonably hope to afford.

A funny story but my brother came to visit to see what the fuss was about. He has a Klipsch reference surround setup. I was playing Frank Sinatra's 'Where are You?' album. He said yeah, they sound nice but they're not my sort of speaker sound. He said he liked more rock orientated speakers.

SILLY MAN!

What's a Klipschorn owner to do with a comment like that? Well I pulled a Prince CD out. Put 'Cream' on. Turned the volume up. I think he p**d his pants. He asked to go to the bathroom. He returned a little while later looking suitably chastened!

I watched some DVD's last night. I felt like I was sitting in a high class movie theatre. And that was in 2 channel!

post-15368-13819256339594_thumb.jpg

Here's a photo of my Toshba player, Project Turntable. The Jolida tube amp is missing in action at the moment due to humm problems - it's getting fixed. The temporary replacement is a kit 10 watt per channel kit amp I built a couple of years age. I upgraded the kit with 1% resistors and better quaility capacitors for better sound. This amp usually fulfills the role of rear amplifier for my Hafler based surround sound system when I feel the urge. Still stacks of power with the Klipschorns.

post-15368-13819257014072_thumb.jpg

----------------

On 7/2/2004 7:13:36 PM IndyKlipschFan wrote:

Edwin what a great find and looks great too... Also I like the the black cutain behind effect too.

Where did you get the movie posters in that size? Very cool!!

----------------

I purchased them from the local video hire store - they sell theam for a couple of bucks after the movies have ceased being new release.

Okay here's a rear shot.

I think thats enough photo's for now.

I am still saving to buy a brand new pair of 2004/5 Klipschorns. My current Klipschorns will remain my home theatre and primary music speakers for the moment. When I buy the new pair I will install them into another room I'm renovating. This room will be set up as my primary music room with with high end amp and source (to be selected) as funds become available.

Regards.

Edwin.

post-15368-13819257015322_thumb.jpg

My room size is 6 metres by 5.5 metres. In imperial measurement I think it works out to about 20 feet by 18 feet.

My music/home theatre room is located downstairs in a two story home. The walls are constructed of double brick. The interior wall is painted brick. When I took delivery of the Klipschorns, I simply backed them into the long wall with no windows. The left corner is a perfect corner - no windows or other enchroachment to compromise the seal. The right corner is almost perfect. I was able to obtain a good seal with the tailboard gasket.

The only problem is, where the right speaker is located, about 18 inches from the right hand side corner the brick wall finishes and the glass sliding door starts. Now I thought this would effect the bass quality of the right speaker. But listening tests appear to contradict this.

Anyway, I am still going to take some prior advice I was given in this forum and I will affix a 3/4 inch board over the bottom part of the window and see what happens. This should allow the Klipschorn's folded bass horn to acoustically 'see' a perfect corner.

I think I have, with very little effort, reached 90% of the sound quality one should expect from speakers like the Klipschorn. With a little tinkering, I will extract the last 10 to 15%. I am really surprised at the ease in which I obtained amazing sound quality. The Klipschorns have a reputation for being fussy. From my so far limited experience, I think every other speaker I have owned (and there have been a lot!), have been much more difficult to set up than the Klipschorn.

Edwin,

I would do what you plan to do with covering up the bottom of the glass with a sheet of plywood. But I wouldn't be concerned about *not* doing it either. If Paul W. Klipsch was concerned about such situations, would he have run this picture in a 1955 ad?

1955c.jpg

Thanks Paul. I've copied that picture and have stored it in file. The local Klipsch man told me a while ago that the Klipschorns weren't as room sentsitive as people like to think - he was right. This will be one of my major themes from now on in promoting the Klipschorn to Kvirgins!1.gif

Some would argue that a glass door will *improve* the Klipschorn, producing a more "transparent" sound 1.gif

As for the grilles, the tall side grilles come off easily, as you can see from behind, probably just with wingnuts. I have never personally taken off the top grilles, but several people on the forum have, so maybe someone will respond. I have read of people cleaning them--you would probably be okay cleaning it as if were fabric on furniture. I'd be very careful at first and test a cleaner on the least conspicuous area first to make sure it doesn't damage anything.

I think your cane grilles look super and wouldn't think of replacing them with black. (Mine are black.)