OT: WIRED cable router / print servers?

fini

Thanks again, all of you, for your help so far. Continuing my research/education this AM, I am finding that NO print server will work with my multi function (printer/scanner/copier), and keep it fully functional. I called Epson and confirmed this. So, as anarchist and others suggested, I must use one of the computers (the Mac) as a print server, which allows full printer functionality (with the Mac, which is used by the whole family), and print-only with the PC. Right now, I'm considering updating the Mac OS (to 10.3) AND using DAVE software. I think I like the Netgear RP614NA, too. At $30, it's not much more than a hub (but this plan probably looks to you experts like me wearing a belt, suspenders, and tying helium baloons to my pants).

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Fini,

Your plan sounds fine. I just researched Dave and basically it is an enhanced Samba (over the MAC implementation) AND gives you the capability to view the files on your XP box as if it were a MAC. NT actually includes services for MAC but this DAVE looks to be a better implementation of that as well. So good. You have the bases covered on the cross-platform file and printing sharing.

There is nothing wrong with the cablemodem/router you are getting and is a perfect good choice - it will allow expansion if/when you need it and most beneficial is it will contain a border firewall separating the net from your internal network. Yes, you can do all this via software and a hub and it would be simpler (less to go wrong with hardware) but nothing wrong with this approach.

Basically, you should have your internet cable coming into your new cablemodem/router, the firewall turned on the router, and then the connections to your two clients. If the 'router' you are getting has a DHCP server on it, even better, as your clients can dynamically get their IP information from it, and you should be able to simply plug in a laptop or other network devices and have them automatically secure an IP address. If not, you simply hardcode them.

Well, my brother-in-law is letting me have some leftover CAT-5 on a spool, and I'm going to pick up a few Leviton networking wall plates and connectors, and run the wire through the attic, probably a 60-70 foot run. I'm not sure if I should also be running any cables from the computer to the audio systems in the rest of the house (Denon AVR-3300 in the HT, Fisher 500C with the Khorns). The sound card is a Sond Blaster Audigy 2, so it would be nice to take advantage...

Fini - I ran RG6 Quad Shield coax with RCA connectors from my PC to my HT room to take output from my M-Audio Revo sound card to my audio gear and it worked great. Might want to do that while you're up in the attic pulling wires and all hot and dusty and sweaty anyway (what a wonderful mental picture that creates, eh?).

I think the Audigy 2 card has a 5.1 output. Is there any single jacketed cable which can carry this? Gawd, six home-runs of RG-6 would scare me into just carting the cpu into the music room when I wanna hear a tune. 2-channel wouldn't be so bad, though. I don't know if the card has a digital output or not (one problem with getting a Dell w/ pre-installed software: no documentation, and going to the Sound Blaster website, there's like 6 different versions of the Audigy 2...). Guess I'll just have to take a peek "under the hood" in "Properties..."

How far, and with what kind of cable and connectors, can you run digital coax, or toslink?

And with the CAT-5 cable, same precautions apply when dealing with power lines/romex (1-foot away, cross at 90-degrees), as audio cables?