O.T. Need advice for daughter's 35mm SLR purchase

Daddy Dee

Probably more than half the problem with film is that most people get it developed at the corner drugstore, by a highschool student only wanting some cash for the weekend.

Good processing, even with ASA/ISO 800 film, will knock your socks off for quality.

Knowing that you have to pay for those shots sometimes helps to make you think about what you are doing.

Marvel

I'm a professional wedding photographer and use Hasselblad and Nikon exclusively. If it's good enough for NASA, it'll work for me. OK, Canon's alright too, but I started with all my Dad's lenses when he passed away. Hard to part with that Nikkor glass!

Re the educational issue, I'd go for either a manual camera like FM2 or an electronic camera with autofocus but with the ability to turn all the auto features off, like the 8008s or F100. Newer electronic cameras will have advantages like motor drive, multiple metering modes, etc. that will allow your daughter to explore these technicalities after she masters the basics.

Re lenses I'm a firm believer in prime (non-zoom) lenses. By eliminating the multiple lenses needed for the zoom, the lens is faster (f1.2-f2.8) versus the slower consumer zooms at f4 or f5.6. As you surmised, the difference here is not only the ability to 'see' in the dark to focus, since your are always looking through the maximum aperature of the lens, but you also gain the ability to use the larger lens openings for artistic vision such as knocking the backgrounds out of focus. Many of the more standard prime lenses at f2.8 can be purchased for moderate sums (28mm,35mmm, 50mm). Specialized portrait lenses such as the 85 or 105 mm are slightly more but much sharper optics than any zoom. Zoom is always a compromise solution.

Depending on the economics of your situation, you might consider buying used gear since it sounds like you don't particularly need the 'latest and greatest'. If I could recommend KEH camers out of Atlanta Ga. They give their gear very fair ratings and have excellent policies. I would buy gear in the Very Good to Like New categories.

email if you wish more detailed purchase advise, always glad to help a new shutterbug!

Michael

I have the Canon Rebel 2000 and have been very disappointed with it. I've tried a couple different lenses - the features are nice and it's easy to use, but the photo quality is poor. I've changed lenses and developing locations - same results. If I were to buy again, it would be Nikon.

Wife and I have been using a Nikon Zoom Touch #800 fully automatic camera for about 9 years without any problems and the pictures come out crystal clear everytime. Seems like camera's are getting smaller and easier to carry and handle.

Pat 9.gif

Daddy,

Bought a SLR Manual 35mm Camera off Ebay seller - mymanhampspacer.gif I got the 35mm Camera Vivitar 3000, with a Flash attachment for only 84.00 total. It works great and my daughter has taken many great photos with It.............. Her school required a Total Manual Camera, so that she could learn about Focus, Appeture, and settings.........instead of relying on the automatic setting..............just my 2 Cents. Good Luck.

Guys and Clueless,

Thanks for the feedback here. Interesting takes shared and brings back lots of memories from high school annual responsibilities with an all manual rig and b&w darkroom.

Finally caught up with the photography teacher and he tells me he will be teaching a college level intro class for the high schoolers. The students will be required to use manual settings to learn, but actually recommends a camera like a Canon Rebel KR, newest version. I've ordered one with a 50mm 1.7 normal lens. Interesting to note, he says these lenses will also work with the Canon digital SLR's, which would be suggested in the advanced photography classes. My personal inclination was toward on of the classic manual SLR's mentioned above, but he did mention that it was common for students with those cameras to miss class shooting because their cameras were in the shop. That doesn't especially ring true as a powerful argument to someone who is perfectly happy with a vehicle with over 100K miles and 40+ year old amps. One thing he mentioned about the Canon is that it is easy to operate in manual mode. Probably true of some others, too. Many thanks for the help here.