Altec "Navy grey" paint

I'd like to paint the new top cabs I built for my Scalas (around the SM120A mids and the Beyma tweeters).

I like my speakers to look "pro" and would like the same grey finish as Altec's Voice of the Theatre line.

What kind of paint is it? Years ago I saw bass cabs painted with a grey "sanded" paint, but that paint isn't available anymore. ("IML paint" or something)

I'd like a matt, sand-textured finish if possible.

Any ideas?1.gif

I would try mil. spec. battleship grey. It's fairly common. I would also check out the spray trunk paints from auto parts stores; these have a "spackle" effect of different colors (white and black on grey, etc.). I've used it before, and it looks great.

I would not go for a sand-filled coat, you're not going to walk on it for cryin' out loud...seems a bit much.

The new A7's are black and are appear to be some sort of trunk or bed-liner-type paint...really rough stuff. I believe that the Altec website "new" A7 page advert states the paint used.

Good luck!

DM

Shock-

You might check your local HD, Kwal, Sherwin-Williams, etc, as they are making paints now with a sand-texture base. You should be able to have them mix up any color you want. We used some in a brick-red color to paint around our fireplace in CA which tied in pretty well with the Southwestern theme we had working. Good luck.

Tom Brennan worked to get a grey paint finish for those baby cheeks he mounted. I am almost positive it was a custom color they came up with to match the Altec grey.

Marvel

I used to have a pair of A7-8's and I think Altec called the color 'theatre grey.

I checked my Porter Paint color chart from memory and it looks like color 7167-2 is close. If you have a catalog or sample paint chip, you could always take it to a paint store and they could do a computer match for exact color.

In terms of paint type, unless you're going to use them for commercial purposes, a special finish wouldn't be required. I especially wouldn't use any type of 'sand' finish, as I don't think it would clean easily and don't think that is what Altec used. Porter makes a very durable, oil-based paint called Glyp-tec that is available in several different sheens. I'd use their Satin sheen, which is flatter than semi-gloss, but not flat (so you could dust them off or remove fingerprints) Since it's oil-based, Glyp-tec will appear glossier for the first few weeks until it fully cures. I have used this paint for kitchen cabinets and it's VERY durable.

Hope this Helps

Michael