Who has met Paul Klipsch?

biomedtech

All these fantastic stories...thanks everyone for sharing them with us less fortunant Klipsch lovers!

I worked at Walt Disney World for over 17 years and met many celebraties of film and screen, authors, musicians, artists, sports figures, a Nobel prize winner, and even several presidents during my time there. Although I thought they were important meetings at the time, not one of them would hold a candle to having the opportunity to meet PWK in person!

There are only two individuals I've always wanted to meet but never got the chance to: one being the late Dr. Virgil Fox, important classical organist virtuoso and champion of J.S. Bach's organworks, and the late, great Paul W. Klipsch whom we honor here in this thread! I could die today a happy man if I had the chance to meet these two great men of achievement in their designated fields...Guess listening to Dr. Fox perform Bach's Toccata and Fugue in D Minor on a grand cathedral pipe organ, playing through a pair of Mr. Klipsch's horn creations known as the Cornwall will be the closest I ever get to being in the same room with these two great men!

Maybe if I'm lucky enough to meet my Maker, I'll get the chance to bump into Dr. Fox at an organ console holding down keys while PWK is up in those heavenly organ chambers tuning the pipes (with a slide rule and a A440 middle C tuning fork)!12.gif

I drove through Hope on a Sunday in 1963 when traveling from one position to another, and called him up! He drove out and showed me around, on the Sabbath no less, showing me a big barrel of cast-off WWII capacitors he used in his crossovers and the vacuum machine he used to form up the old plastic, pre-K400 mid-range horns he used at the time. Great guy, no one too small for him.

Larry

I met Paul in 1978 in Starkville, MS. A MSU prof had started a small hi-end stereo shop and PWK came by. I addressed him as "Colonel" (I was a military brat) and he seemed pleased-in his dry way-by that. I remember he discussed molding the K-400 out of plastic and what the molds would cost. After carefully looking around the room to ensure no women were present, he said "The mold cost would stretch the accountants' asses out to here!"

(Of course, eventually Klipsch did go to structural foam for the K-401, as seen on the cover of Speaker Builder with Bruce Edgar's interview with Paul.)

I also recall that PWK drew a perfect exponential horn freehand on a legal pad. I guess he'd had many decades of practice doing that.

Paul also derided the practice of putting boxes on legs. One of the models sold there (I think it was a B&W) was on a stand and Paul rapped the stand with a pointer (or a walking stick).

If I can coin one phrase that defined PWK, it would be "accessible genius". He responded to every letter I ever sent him and actually took my call as an utterly uninformed 15 year old tinkering with speakers for the first time.

Paul was an American original like Frank Lloyd Wright, Edison, and so many others that made this country the leader of the planet. We need more rugged individualistic inventors like him.

I'm awaiting my first Klispch products, a pair of CW II's.

----------------

On 7/11/2004 3:32:36 AM biomedtech wrote:

The year that Mr. Klipsch came to Ramstein AB was either late 1984 or 85. I had arrived on station in July of 84, but it took some time for me to meet the wife of a co-worker who was an employee at the main BX. She worked in the stereo department, so she told her husband, he told me, etc. There were more than 100 customers lined up to see Mr. Klipsch, he never complained about being surrounded by a horde.

----------------

This was when I met Paul Klipsch. Best as I can recall, I was waiting for him when he arrived, so didn't have to wait in line:) He sure took a liking to my 1 year-old son!

Signed my Heresies for me (which I no longer own).

I got to Ramstein in April of '84, stayed 'til May '91. Was a SSgt crew chief, started out in the 512th, ended up in the 526th.