Will RB-5's make good mains?

D-Rex

I just made the decision to utilize a pair of RB-5's as mains and possibly passed up the chance for a pair of RF-3's. I paid $330 for the RB-5's but the RF-3's were going to cost $500 or more. Since I really wanted a pair of RF-5's for mains do you think the RB-5's will make good mains until I get the funds for RF-5's or better? Or, shoudl I go ahead and get the RF-3's and move these RB-5's as surround speakers? Any and all opinions appreciated!

D-Rex

----------------

On 7/11/2004 10:21:06 PM tmilam wrote:

With a good sub (SVS or HSU, or even Klipsch) the RB 5's should do very well.

----------------

So, you think it would be better to target a sub as my next addition to my system rather than a pair of floor speakers? What do you think about the Paradigm PW-2200? I have heard alot of good things about the SVS and HSU subs.

I agree w/ tmiliam. RB-5s, when paired w/ a good sub, will make great mains. I actually prefer bookshelves over floorstanders because of the placement flexibility (especially vertically ensuring they're at the proper height). The tradeoffs aren't much either. The RF-5s go down to 34Hz while the RB-5s "only" go down to 48Hz (which is a larger gap than usual), but a good sub will more than make up for that difference.

Having said all that, I will also say that yes, your next purchase should be a sub. SVS has awesome customer support and will recommend a sub that fits your needs w/o overselling you. Drop them an email and they'll help you. Their strongest selling point is "bang for the buck".

John

The RB-5's are outstanding speakers. While they lend themselves nicely to an HT system, they really shine as the foundation of a great 2 channel music system. In other words, you'll be very satisified with them as mains in whatever application you choose.

This is all good news for me because my wife was not too pleased that I spent $330 of the money we had set aside for RF-5s. I just felt that the RB-5's were just too flexible not to get at that price and it seems all of you confirm that RB-5s are great speakers to have. Now I just have to hope and pray that she will agree that these are worth the money!

Now, how would you guys go about discerning the difference between the HSU and the SVS subs? Are they in any mainstream stores where I could hear them? I am sure both have a loyal following. I would have to say it is more important that I have the bass for HT rather than music.

One more thing, which one compares most favorably to the RSW-15? I was really impressed with the bass out of that when we were at Ultimate Electronics. Minority Report was simply awesome!

Thanks,

D

SVS is Internet only. They have a "trial period" though and I've yet to hear of someone returning one after they get it. I believe HSU may be the same way, but I'm not sure.

Tell your wife if nothing else you can always move the RB-5s to the surround position if/when you get RF-5s.

John

Congrats on your Klipsch purchase! I think the RB5's will be great as mains and you're correct with placement options. Just make sure to put them on REALLY sturdy stands if you go that route. Also experiment with placement as the bass ports are in the rear. A good sub will give you a better system than spending money to get the RF3's.

Enjoy!

ps what are you using for surrounds? from what I hear, most Forum members are staying away from RS series in favor of a matched RB speaker set.

----------------

On 7/12/2004 11:21:32 AM colterphoto1 wrote:

Congrats on your Klipsch purchase! I think the RB5's will be great as mains and you're correct with placement options. Just make sure to put them on REALLY sturdy stands if you go that route. Also experiment with placement as the bass ports are in the rear. A good sub will give you a better system than spending money to get the RF3's.

Enjoy!

ps what are you using for surrounds? from what I hear, most Forum members are staying away from RS series in favor of a matched RB speaker set.

----------------

I have some JBL bookshelf speakers for surrounds. I have been reading and had decided I wanted the Klipsch bookshelf speakers for surrounds which is why I made this somewhat unplanned (from my wife's perspective) purchase.

Now, for one of the more difficult decisions, if I have $650 remaining and have the opportunity to buy a HSU/SVS subwoofer or a pair of RF-5's, which would be the best route? I am thinking the RF-5s just because of the appearent good deal but I really do want to feel the bass, soon!

----------------

On 7/13/2004 8:06:08 AM yromj wrote:

With the remaining $650, I'd get the sub. An SVS 20-39PCi ought to do the job nicely.

John

----------------

I was bidding on a new set of RF-5's on Ebay but, they are getting out of my price range fast... and I knew they would! I am leaning towards getting the very sub you mentioned. I couldn't believe when I looked that shipping and handling on one of those was $99 though.

Thanks,

Dallas