Late fees

damonrpayne

I don't know how many times I've had to move or create an alternate identity to get out of blockbuster late fees. I don't even rent movies that often but when we do we invariable forget to take them back on time.

Me: "Did you take those movies back honey?"

Honey: "I thought you took them back?"

We have determined it is more economical to actually buy every DVD. If we watch it more than once its pretty much paid for itself. Anyone else have this problem?

I do not rent...for that reason.....Never rented...

You can buy them used for $7-14 each from these stores....year to lifetime warranty....Watch when you want....watch many times...never have to return them...

VERSUS

Renting....$2-4 Have 1-5 days to watch it....Have to return....If ya forget late fees....Which can be $1-Infinity depending on how late you are hehehe

Easy choice for me...I buy.....Great way to build collection...

I go out of my way to avoid BB whenever possible, because of their userous late fees (which others have adopted) and the hassle of wandering about the store looking and going back to return. So, it's online for me - DVDBarn, Wal-Mart, etc... (still working to find the best one, and for me it's not Netflix). I don't have the attention span or the time to watch the same movie twice, so I never buy them.

I can't remember the last time I rented a movie. It's been probably three+ years. With the price of DVDs as low as they are it makes no sense to rent if you think you will ever watch the movie more than once. Besides, the big chain rental places never have the any of the older movies I want to watch anyways.

And don't even get me started on the value of going to a movie theater7.gif !

Well I think it's a good idea to pay the fee for a month just to check out as many flicks as possible to see if they'd be a worthy purchase. Don't get me wrong...I still buy a LOT of movies but there are also times that I'm willing to sit through mindless crap that I'll only watch once i.e. Freddy vs. Jason, Eurotrip, Duplex, 50 First Dates...you know, crap like that I ain't buyin' but will pay the $25 to watch 20-30 different titles of a month.

Late fees are only part of the problem. The driving back and forth at $2 per gallon of gas plus the time make rentals a mistake IMO. Buying every movie that I want to watch is not the answer either.

My solution is to use my Dish PVR to record movies a $4 apiece. I can play it as many times as I like before I make room on the hard drive.

If the movie is truly great, then I purchase a copy for my DVD carousel. In the long haul, this is the least expensive way to rent movies and it is very convenient.

Bill