Do vertical La Scala / Cornwall bring a premium?

I've been scouring ebay for some time looking for a single cornwall or la scala to lay on its side as a center channel as I believe both have been made as "vertical" versions, so the exponential horns are horizontal. I have yet to see any of either on ebay. Are these pretty hard to come by?

Yep, they are certainly not as common as their horizontally placed cousins but they do show up from time to time. The vertical Cornwalls also usually sell higher than the horizontal versions probably due to the desirability and somewhat rarity to them. Finding a single would be even tougher unless you got someone to split a pair with you.

Vertical Cornwalls DO exist, IndyKlipshFan has a whole front row of them (yes folks all 3).

I have seen posters speak of cutting out the motor board and replacing it with a rotated section for the mid/high pack on a Cornwall. There is certainly enough room for this physically, but it does involve butchering up a valuable heirloom.

If anybody finds a pair and wants only one, I'd LOVE to purchase a single to use as a center. I keep getting heat for using a RC7 with my Cornwall mains.

re Vertical La Scala. If you get an 'industrial' LaScala, that is a cabinet with split low mid/hi packs, so you could put the bass bin under your monitor/tv and the mid/hi pack over it without having to lay the entire cabinet on it's side.

Again IndyKlipschFan has some of these as well. What DOESN"T the guy have ARRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHHHH!!!!

----------------

On 7/13/2004 11:22:42 AM colterphoto1 wrote:

re Vertical La Scala. If you get an 'industrial' LaScala, that is a cabinet with split low mid/hi packs, so you could put the bass bin under your monitor/tv and the mid/hi pack over it without having to lay the entire cabinet on it's side.

Again IndyKlipschFan has some of these as well. What DOESN"T the guy have ARRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHHHH!!!!
----------------

Ah, that must be what I'm thinking of. I saw those at IndyKlipschFan's house this summer. The configuration I'm looking at is something that will fit beneath a projector screen. A 110" diagonal screen is 54" high plus the border, so with an 8' ceiling I need a center channel less than 42" tall. Maybe i can get away with a regular la scala...

One thing to note is the bass bin/horn of the La Scala is a near perfect square, laying it on its side won't save you any space. I am making a split La Scala center channel I just purchased the top half and have cabinet for the bass bin. I need the K33 woofer yet then I will be ready to begin work. My top half is triangular so I will most likely build a finished top section. Something I would like to see are some of the work folks have done who have built their equipment racks and such around La Scala or similar sized speakers. I am looking at a mid/high section above my display and bass bin below the display and equipment/media sections flanking in it. I am also curious as to what type of shielding was done by those of you who have used La Scalas as center units close to a display.

Frzninvt: Yup, they're both about 35" tall which still leaves a bit of room for the screen border and such. I think I'd still go with a la scala since the price of a single one is slightly more than half the price of a single Belle.

J: look into "bucking magnets" for your shielding.

Just got a response from Trey re: the shielding issues. Klipsch uses 1/8 in soft steel plates. The bucking magnets are not really practical in the doghouse; my understanding is if you reduce the volume of the doghouse section of the bass horn you can adversely affect bass performance.

----------------

On 7/13/2004 12:56:23 PM J.4knee wrote:

Something I would like to see are some of the work folks have done who have built their equipment racks and such around La Scala or similar sized speakers.

----------------

Here is a picture I cribbed from the "Show your home theater" thread. This was done and posted by the user "Hauck". This is a beautiful example of building an equipment rack around a Belle. I would imagine something like that would also work great for a LaScala.

DSC00006-1.jpg

Yeah I have seen that one, very nice even went so far as to show the little Mrs. 4knee. I am seriously considering an idea like that, especially since I will have 3 La Scala's across the front, it s very clean look. I have seen Q-Mans stuff which is also very impressive. I dont want to hijack this thread but I do want to see the craftsmanship and ideas people have put into play.

----------------

On 7/13/2004 6:04:11 PM skonopa wrote:

----------------

On 7/13/2004 12:56:23 PM J.4knee wrote:

Something I would like to see are some of the work folks have done who have built their equipment racks and such around La Scala or similar sized speakers.

----------------

Here is a picture I cribbed from the "Show your home theater" thread. This was done and posted by the user "Hauck". This is a beautiful example of building an equipment rack around a Belle. I would imagine something like that would also work great for a LaScala.

DSC00006-1.jpg"

----------------

That's an interesting rack. Would anyone know what kind it is? It may be what I need. Thanks!

----------------

On 7/13/2004 1:22:51 PM damonrpayne wrote:

Frzninvt:
Yup, they're both about 35" tall which still leaves a bit of room for the screen border and such. I think I'd still go with a la scala since the price of a single one is slightly more than half the price of a single Belle.

J: look into "bucking magnets" for your shielding.
----------------

Just remember that the LS is nearly twice as deep as a CW's. The depth issue is probably why a lot of people, including IndyKlipschFan use a vert CW for a center channel. And the fact that the CW has punchier, or boomier bass if you will than a LS.