Need a sub to pair up with Klipsch Bookshelves.

Erukian

I recently got some Klipsch Bookshelves. Specifically the RB-25's which pretty much go down to 50hz with power.

I used to own the ultra's, and the ultra sub (some guy in indy said this) has the power/depth of the RW-10 but has more distortion because of the cheaper parts its made with.

The ultra sub was GREAT to me, nothing but good things can i say about it, but do i need something on the RW-10 level to compliment a pair of Klipsch RB-25's?

I'm looking at less than #300 USD after s/h. I dont need it to be klipsch, polk, jbl, whatever you can recommend would be great.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

there is a very popular 10-inch sub in the ht market. you can get two of them for the price of about 260$.

they are called - dundundun... the daytons! go to partexpress.com and look for these awesome suckers! i would say that TWO of them would be such a good deal for under 300$. 9.gif

you're going to want something fairly powerful, as the RB-25's will be pretty strong in the mids and highs, but very weak down low. I'd bet that they start to get weak at closer to 60-63ish hz vs. the 50 mentioned, or 49 posted on the spec sheet.

thing is, u have a budget that u set... and i am trying to give u my best shot at it. of course u will be sacrificing certain things like extension, output, sheer musicality (quickness of decay and rise), and accuracy but these cannot be avoided at this pricepoint.

what i am trying to tell u, Er, is that for the money you would be VERY hard pressed to beat two daytons.

if u want other suggestions:

1. for about 300$ on ebay you can get an infinity entra two 12" sub - i had this before and it was very good.

2. stf-1/2.... the 2 would def. be better. you can get the stf 2 from compusa.com for cheaper than the hsuresearch.com website sells for directly (odd huh?). stf2 from hsu direct: 399. stf2 from compusa: 349$.

remember that you are in the sub-300/400 price range.... do not expect HSU VTF-3mk2 or VTF-2 or SVS performance out of the two dayton. however, expect to be very pleased by the performance of these 120$ marvels.

sometimes, they go on sale for 99$/each.... these daytons are really a good buy!

Right now I have a 1/8" to 2 RCA adaptor coming out of my soundcard. Then the RCA goes to the HK amp then out speaker wire.

I dont see how this leaves room for the daytons. Afterall there's no RCA out on the HK amp where I can feed it out to a sub. Arent standard sub connections rca type?

have you heard the ultra's or a RW-10 (because i know exactly how they sound) and i think something with that power would get the job done.

Musically, would two daytons beat a RW-10? Would I be able to hit 30hz at normal listening volumes like I could w/ the ultra sub?