difference between RCA, AR and Monter

bugman

i've seen RCA, Acustic Research and Monster speaker wires. My question is what is the difference if any in these brands.

------------------

Sex is like pizza, when it's good, it's really good. When it's bad, it's still pretty good.

the price Smile.gif seriously though rca is a plug type though i could be wrong w/ all the brands out there.

also check radio shack gold cables. price is right.

------------------

Klipsch KLF 30 (front), KLF C-7, Cornwall I (rear)

Velodyne HGS-18 sub woofer

Monsterbass 400 sub interconnect & Monster CX-2 biwire & Z-12 cable

Marantz SR-8000 receiver

Sony DVP-C650D 5-disk cd/dvd player

Sony Trinitron 27" stereo tv

Toshiba hi-fi stereo vcr

Technics dual cassette deck

Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2000 digital cable box

Boa's Listenin Lounge:

Klipsch RF-3 (front), RC-3, cheap little Technics (rear)

Monster MCX Biwires

Sony STR-DE935 a/v receiver

Kenwood KR-9600 AM/FM stereo receiver (vintage 1975)

Russound AB-2 receiver switch to RF-3

Teac PD-D1200 5-disk cd changer

Technics SL-1950 turntable/AT LS500 cartridge

Sega Genesis game player

Sub: None yet

rock on!

well, i'm just trying to save some money since i am a college student. I was looking at 16 Ga wires in the 100ft spools. The RCA costs $19.99, AR cost $29.99 and Monster cost $59.99. I dont have a big enough radio shack around my place, so they wont have anything worth checking out. I jsut want to know which wire brand i should buy. I was leaning more towards the AR, because according to its price, it's right in the middle...

------------------

Sex is like pizza, when it's good, it's really good. When it's bad, it's still pretty good.

bugs, so rca is a brand then. cwm32.gif

i myself wouldn't waste too much time on it. there is much debate whether dif types/brands of speaker wire makes an audible dif.

when i was on a limited budget i used just plain old 16ga. lamp cord w/ my cornwalls (like klipsch recommended).

can't say i can hear any dif now w/ the monster Z 12ga.

u can pick up lamp cord at a home depot or such for pretty cheap.

Not that I would disagree with the avman,but after recently using the 14 ga.from Home Depot(clear plastic cover/stiff)I wouldn't recommend that.Heck,its just .22

cents a foot,but the plasticy cover tends to split down the length of the wire.Could use short pieces of red and black shrink wrap,eliminating the possibility of a short and making the hookup easier.The 100 foot roll of 12ga. from Parts Express($29)is better,IMO. Even better is the $3 ft. AudioQuest Slate from Audio Advisor.Better than that is the....................

Keith

i used the 16ga. lamp cord from floyd's hardware w/ no

problems. back then i think it was around $.05/ft.

i'd go to home depot before lowe's but never have for wire. didn't know they had quality problems.

but keiths deal at $29 looks primo. quality does matter for durability & such.

& i was going to mention u might as well get 12ga. so u don't doubt & go back for it later after further reading on this forum Biggrin.gif

boa,noticed at my Dad's house a couple weeks ago that the speaker wire on his "vintage" equipment looked a little rough.So I secretly ordered the 100 ft. spool of Sound King 12ga.wire.At that time (ended 7-14)the wire was on sale for $29 a 100 ft spool.Called him a couple days later and told him to look for the UPS man delivering himself some speaker wire.He replaced the el cheapo wire he was using and delivered this revelation: "my speakers sound better now".I asked if he was sure, to which he replied "no doubt about it,they sound much better".So there's my Dad's non-audio-fanatic take on speaker wire,FWIW.

Keith

keith, maybe u should send a spool to PWK. heard he's still using that same lamp cord your dad had. but wire will wear out some after a decade or so.

think i'll go w/ him, tom nousaine & my own ears.

no audible diffrance in reasonably new wires of reasonably equal size.

i've been shelling out a lot of $ for gear lately, but never $3/ft for speaker wire.

setting the fronts to small - now there's a difference. Biggrin.gif

did pay up for that monster bi-wire but it was the cheapest monster biwire & was convenient & tidy.

that's the last thing i'll say on wire.

i'm off to read the audio journals. god's speed.

Wavey.gif

------------------

Klipsch KLF 30 (front), KLF C-7, Cornwall I (rear)

Velodyne HGS-18 sub woofer

Monsterbass 400 sub interconnect & Monster CX-2 biwire & Z-12 cable

Marantz SR-8000 receiver

Sony DVP-C650D 5-disk cd/dvd player

Sony Trinitron 27" stereo tv

Toshiba hi-fi stereo vcr

Technics dual cassette deck

Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2000 digital cable box

Boa's Listenin Lounge:

Klipsch RF-3 (front), RC-3, cheap little Technics (rear)

Monster MCX Biwires

Sony STR-DE935 a/v receiver

Kenwood KR-9600 AM/FM stereo receiver (vintage 1975)

Russound AB-2 receiver switch to RF-3

Teac PD-D1200 5-disk cd changer

Technics SL-1950 turntable/AT LS500 cartridge

Sega Genesis game player

Sub: None yet

rock on!

This message has been edited by boa12 on 07-20-2001 at 12:20 AM

I went to the area Home Depot, picked myself up some low voltage cable (the kind noma moon rays use) and found no difference except it looks prettier. Nothing looks better than black wire IMO. BTW, using bananna plugs was a good idea. Easy to move speakers to clean around them ect....

I bought some RCA brand wire at HD. The choice was only based on price for that gauge.

The cardboard label said it was "high definition."

To me it was just the run of the mill zip cord, here with a clear insulation.

I can't believe there is anything especially "high definition" about it . . . not that I think it needs improved definition.

Gil

IMO...There isn't, I believe it must be of "good" guage with connectors, insulated, and the power to boot.

I used Monster OMC 20/20 with Adcoms Flagship GFA-585 Limited Edition(1584 of 3000, sold it ..UGH)and my Khorns...sorry folks but the violins and such was clear as a bell.....well under $100US, 5000....SURREEEEE!!!!

just did a hellacious install-i'm a little 'cranky'- the install wasn't so bad i guess, it's just that the 'sound and security' wire (2-conductor 16 gua., and 4-cond.16 gua.)that i bought at home depot was stiffer than i prefer, had a s***ty jacket that tore, inner wire insulator jacket that tore and had to be repaired-augh!! so per my earlier post, twisted jacketed wire is still imho, a good recommendation, just don't buy CRAPPY twisted, jacketed, speaker wire!

------------------

1-pair klf 30's

c-7 center

sony strda-777ES receiver

dishnetwork model 7200 dishplayer satellite receiver/digital bitstream recorder

pioneer dvd player

sharp 35"tv

panamax max dbs+5 surge protector/power conditioner

monster cable interconnects/12 gua.speaker wire

surrounds and a 'teens sub coming!

KLIPSCH-So Good It Hz!

avman, sounds similiar,if not the same,to the wire I referred to earlier.The tip off I guess is the fact that the jacket is more of a plastic consistency that the rubber consistency of say Monster Cable.When you strip the wire the jacket tends to split,which of course could lead to a nasty short.A solution would be to add some heat shrink tubing to the ends(red and black)to prevent shorts and to help old eyes identify correct polarity.

Keith

This adds to our advice base.

Most questions go to whether a given type of wire will sound better.

Now advice we give should take into consideration the ease of working with a given type.

I've found that black rubbery lamp cord is easy to strip. On the the other hand, the clear plastic stuff is a bit more of a challenge.

It is not something I ever gave much thought to. But obviously ease of stripping is a consideration.

Gil

With Klipsch speakers, super-expensive speaker cables are not as important as it is with less efficient speakers. I bought my MIT Terminator2 Bi-Wires for my B&W speakers. These cables (about an inch in diameter) helped my B&Ws tremendously. In fact the difference was jaw dropping. My 85 WPC Dennon suddenly sounded much more powerful. Imaging was much better, and the clarity was just incredible. With my Klipsch speakers connected, the same is true, but to a lesser degree (especially the amp sounding a lot more powerful through generic wire as compared to the MITs). I would still recommend a good quality speaker wire that rejects interference well, and has some technique( real or imagined) for preserving the impedance from one end of the wire to the other (Cardas, Kimber Cable, Audio Quest, Straight Wire, etc).

Hardware store stuff is good for short term use, but generally does not reject interference to audio signals well. It also oxidizes quickly, causing the wire to act more and more like a resistor.

A well known online stereo equipment retailer out of Michigan who also distributes a catalog has a large selection of speaker wire. Some of it in bulk. I ordered my MITs from there and paid less than half of what my local HiFI store was asking for the same stuff.

Next stop...power conditioners..