DIY RSW 12

slider908

i have the RSW12 active driver and want to build a RSW12 clone. could you guys help me getting the T-S parameters on the driver. if i can't get the specs i will probably just build a replica of the RSW12 but i will still need to get a passive radiator. how much do one of these cost. without the ts specs i will be forced to go with the klipsch PR or an specs equivalent.

concerning the dimensions i found them on the klipsch site and was wondering if there are any baffles inside between the two drivers...are the 2 drivers just 180 degrees off each other. does klipsch usually stuff the walls of their enclosures with anything

how thick is the MDF on the RSW12 sub...duplicating the exact dimensions will be important.

thanks,

-john email: Slider908@msn.com

Unfortunately there are no T/S specs floating around for the RSW drivers as they are still current models. Like you mentioned, you'll have to either mimic the original... or take the driver down to a Car Audio shop who are equipped at measuring the T/S parameters. If I recall from other posts... it runs in the 25$ range (feel free to correct me on that)

That attached image is of a Plexiglass RSW-15 where you can see the internal structure. Note the internal mounting of the amplifier.

Unfortunately even if you build an exact replica of the RSW12, you will require a factory replacement amplifier to get a compatible performance. The amp has a built in EQ which compensates enclosure and driver limitations, flattening it's response. It a common trick used by most subwoofer manufacturers.

Getting the TS parameters read may actually prove simpler.

Later...

rob

post-11489-13819257085382_thumb.jpg

Aside from that picture of the RSW-15, I have seen other pics of it in normal MDF where the internal braces where different than those shown on on the plexiglass demo model. I'm not sure how much different they are because it was unclear in the picture, but it would be something to keep in mind.

----------------

On 7/13/2004 2:08:02 AM slider908 wrote:

thanks you guys, you've given me much of the help i needed.

i think i'll look into finding a place that test t/s specs. i didn't realize klipsch had eqs built into their amps.

does anyone know if the kw-12-thx and rsw12 drivers are the same?

----------------

Nope... The kw-12-THX driver uses the RSW-15's motor assembly, it just has a 12" cone on it.

Guest Deon Bearden

Nope... The kw-12-THX driver uses the RSW-15's motor assembly, it just has a 12" cone on it.

----------------

Incorrect. I cannot discuss details, but can tell you there are signifigant improvements from one to the other. The Magnet assembly is the ONLY thing translated from the RSW-15 driver. Understand the magent assembly is only PART of the motor.

• 5 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...