ill informed people!!!!!!!

Scp53

do any of you know people that act like they know something about audio but really don't?(im sure we all do). i mean people that think about subs as: how much power does it handle and what size is it. that kind of crap. or think of speaker quality only as: how loud will it play and is it distortion free. I could tell you so many things that Ive heard that is so wrong. almost makes me want to cry15.gif.

any of you had in stories of people like this? from people that think bestbuy sells the best speakers to those that like bose. to those that think a 150 dollat HTiB is 600wts like it says on the box.

scp53

I don't recall an "exact" story to share with you all. But I can share what I have experienced:

Generally, it has been my experience that when I visit an average consumer electronics store (you know the ones) I usually cannot rely on the help or advise I get from the sales staff (I realize there are exceptions like Kenratboy 2.gif). Rarely do I ever hear the words "I don't know" or "I don't know, but I will find out for you!" or "I know this product very well and here are supporting documents to back up what I am telling you!" Not to say the store is any better, but the only times I have heard those words at an average store, it's been at Circuit City.

When I visit high-end electronics stores (salon-type), I seem to get more credible information. And they are usually more than happy to back up what they are saying with documentation or a demonstration. If they aren't, I leave.

As far as my inter-personal relationships, my friends know me well enough to where they are not about to chance trying to put one over on me when it comes to sound or video. They know me and they know my systems. The only places I run into folks who "talk smack" about sound or video setups seems to be at larger parties I have been invited to, where I converse with people I've not met priviously. They say, "I've got this and I've got that and it does this and it blows that away and so on, and so forth." Then later, I find out from one of their friends that those "Martin Logans" and the "Mac Stack" the guy was talking about in his living room, is nothing more than a Bose table radio. 14.gif

It generally isn't worth trying to educate ignorant people. They generally don't want to be educated. It is a waste of time.

I heard a story from a guy years back. He was driving a delivery truck in a small town. He was driving down the main street at legal speed when the town idiot stepped off the sidewalk right in front of him without even looking. He screeched to a halt, just missing the idiot. He was about to get out of his truck and give the idiot a piece of his mind when the idiot turned around and gave him the finger. At that moment, he realized it was a total waste of time.

It certainly seems to be a much larger percentage of people that want to think they know and don't care nor try to inform themselves to the extent that they are more than simply dangerous. However, I want to tell a story along these lines with the opposite twist. Years back, I was visiting with a friend in Santa Fe, NM. His Dad was the owner of an old barber shop in the old town and had inherited it from his Dad and he from his Dad, so this was the third generation owning and operating that barber shop. I listened with warm feelings and sense that the old man was a happy and satisfied man with his choices in life. Certainly he could be from his sons and their accomplishments and the men they turned out to be. A barber is ranks in there with the most common of laborers. In short, I learned much to my surprise that this barber was the richest man in town and had been the major three times and had been invited to the White House twice. I still marvel in the memory of man of such statue, the old barber.1.gif

We started doing concert night. I know nothing. But I have a Bose 5.1 system that I have used for years, until I stumbled upon some Klipsch. So when I have had folks talking about their awsome surround system, I invite them to a concert night. So far everyone has left with information on this site and keeping an eye out for Klipsch. I have on one occassion took my

Cornwalls to someone elses house so they could hear them at home, since they were convinced that they would not sound better than their little speakers in their house. They offered to buy mine. hehehehe

I'm guilty, guilty, guitly! In trying to help out I sometimes get carried away right here in this Forum. Told a person here last week that my KG 5.2's were a three way, when they were a two way.

It'll never happen again! OH, by the way Khorns should never, ever be placed in a corner, it really reduces the bass.