BOSE story - long

popbumper

Real recent discussion with a friend; a bit of background is in order. Friend picks up an HTIB system (Onkyo)? and hooks it up. We talk over a few months time, I get my Klipsch system set up and tell him about it. Friend is about to move to another house. Keep in mind that I have never heard his setup, and he has never heard mine. Also keep in mind that this friend is REAL good about "asking advice" on lots of things - but then does what he had originally planned anyway, which frustrates me to no end ):

(Him) "Hey, I'm thinking about upgrading my speakers after I move".

(Me) "Really? How come"?

(Him) "Well I like the system, but I just want something that sounds better. Do you have any suggestions"?

(Me playing dumb, and realizing he doesn't realy want to hear my advice anyway) "Did you have anything in mind - there is plenty out there"

(Him) "Well, on the local "forsale" newsgroup, I saw a guy had a set of BOSE speakers for sale, I thought those would be good".

(Me, cringing) "BOSE? Man, you don't want to get those"

(Him) "Why not"?

(Me) "BOSE is nothing more than a huge marketing ploy. Cripes, the bass module rolls off before the other speakers even kick in, so you are actually losing complete sections of the sound spectrum"

(Him) "Alright, then what do you suggest"?

(Me) "Well, why don'y you consider some Klipsch? You know my setup is all Klipsch"

(Him) "Sure, but I can't afford that setup"

(Me) "What is your budget"?

(Him) "$1000"

(Me) "Dude, why don't you look out on EBAY then; You can get some nice Klipsch bookshelf speakers, like KG's - I have some of these, they are a good size, have a great sound, are reasonably priced, and will blow away the BOSE speakers"

(Him) "Yeah, but I don't have much room, and the wife wouldn't like those taking up much space".

End scene 1. Just so happens I go out on the newsgroup the next day and I see a message from him to the guy selling the BOSE, asking if they are still available. Arrggghhhh! A few weeks pass, we talk:

(Me) "Hey, did you ever get your speakers"?

(Him) Yeah, I got the BOSE, they are great, I had a guy come over and wire them for me - only cost $100 to get it done".

(Me) ..."and how do they sound"?

(Him) "They sound good, but to really get that "theater sound" I have to turn the reciever up to almost full volume". Also, the system has too much echo in it when I go into surround mode. I really think the limitation now is the receiver, I'm going to start receiver shopping".

SIGH...and then we discuss speaker efficiency, receiver power ratings, the efficiency of Klipsch speakers, etc. Here's a guy who just won't listen, literally OR figuratively. Some guys....he needs to come over and listen to my setup....;>).

Popbumper 9.gif

Sad, sad, sad.

I overheard a couple co-workers discussing home theater. One said, "well, bo$e is the best you can get." I just cringed and walked away. I just didn't have the energy to get in an argument.

Marketing, marketing, marketing.14.gif14.gif14.gif

----------------

On 7/25/2004 12:33:23 AM Darren wrote:

Let's say something nice....the "wave radio" isn't that bad (sorry, best I could do).

----------------

My parents have the CD version of the Wave Radio, and I'll admit, it actually does sound pretty good. Still, for the asking price of that thing, I'll stick with my Tivoli radio (the Henry Kloss Model 2 version that I have in my office at work).

I cant help but to bash, just because I nearly made the same mistake.

I mean when you dont know $#@!about HT, and you hear bose first, you get sucked in.

My recent story, a brother in law, purchased bose and a couple of months later we had a get together , he hears my Klipsch RF7s and just stares in amazement.

I stop inviting friends over for demos because they all, have some sort of HT "surround", and they all go away pissed at me, cause I just made them realize they wasted $1000 on tv speakers.

BTW I own a bose and a tivoli, the bose is my alarm clock.2.gif