memo to Linda Ronstadt, Bonnie Rait, Ted Nugent, The Dixie Chicks and Toby Keith...

jdm56

Hello:

A few comments I can deal with. I even remember the "Vote for Kennedy" 45 that Frank Sinatra did for the 1960 campaign.

To turn this discussion, the role model point has been mentioned.

Athletes by virtue of their fame become role models. Why? What better role model is there than a Parent - Single or Married (note: Single can include living tgether under certain circumstances.)

A role model is the Sanitation Worker who gets up in 100 degree weather to go pick up our trash.

A role model is not the brawler in Hockey. It is not the Player failing drug tests, going into "rehab" making millions for "a game they love" then getting reinstated. Then fails another drug test...

Is gambling, as Pete Rose did, not owning up, any worse than the player who violates the same rules against taking drugs and either acting proud, wanting immediate re-instatement, and also can deny? In whatever sport, the player breaks the ban on one or another.

Going back to the start of this, write a letter to the editor and complain when an entertainer goes to the point of preaching - politics or religion. Preaching is the reason for Ministers. Send a copy to the Artists Label.

But don't forget the First Amendment and use a reasonable guideline for what you consider preaching - it's only opinion. Some complain about Joe Cocker not saying anything to the audience.

It may be difficult, but remember the music, the singing. As a twisted way of looking at it, some of the fund raising appearances or endorsement appearances give us a chance to see some of the Artists.

As you can see, I sit a little on the fence, being a liberal partially conservative in a very conservative area.

I just finished watching either A&E, or Court TV about how segregated Las Vegas was years ago. Louis Armstrong, Sammy Davis would play but could not stay in the lounge hotels - had to go to the other side of town.

The main thing is it's going to be either no or VERY LITTLE TV watching until after the elections. I want to read what the candidates are going to do. Note: Here in NY State, we still have no budget - due April 1. We have no emrgency Education funding bill. Media says don't send incumbents back - who do they endorse?

Ah well, there's a perfect world somewhere. Let's hope that all of us can find our perfection in life.

In one way or another, - all beliefs or non beliefs included, we will when we pass.

dodger

...really good comments from everyone in this thread - Hey, even mine was half decent.

I just don't want anyone to think that I believe artists making political comments shouldn't be allowed to. I'm just saying if they do, then I may be less inclined to buy their records if they upset me.7.gif

Hey, I want a bumper sticker that pays no attention to any partisan affiliation. A bumper sticker that simply reads:

"JUST, SHUT UP AND VOTE!"

...sorta says it all. Election years always seem so-o much longer than normal years......15.gif

----------------

On 8/2/2004 12:00:13 PM picky wrote:

Hey, I want a bumper sticker that pays no attention to any partisan affiliation. A bumper sticker that simply reads:

...sorta says it all. Election years always seem so-o much longer than normal years......
15.gif

----------------

Hello:

Afew years ago my wife and went to a B&B that had a fantastic restaurant attached.

As we knew we would not be home for the election, we voted by absentee ballot. We went to dinner there on election day. Our waiter asked how we voted that day after learning we were not from that area. We mentioned Absentee Balloting.

The waiter looked puzzled so I explained the process. He still looked puzzled and stated, "we do not have that in my Country...". What Country I did not ask. I did ask whether he had voted. He stated that he was here on a Student Visa and was not a Citizen.

Imagine, a non-U.S. Citizen thinking enough to make sure people voted. Too bad too large a number of Americans do not feel that way.

For the topic - from May or earlier on, we are bombarded by Primaries, speculations, remarks regarding what the other person did not do (or did do) with no straight answer on how that Candidate would do it differently. Political Pundits, Editorials, Commercials, fund raising, cheap shots, Commercials again, telephone polls (ask them to hold for a second so you can turn the TV down, put the phone down and don't go back for a bit, or mess with their heads - tell them the complete opposite of what you will be doing.

Projected winners - I believe in no Coverage until ALL of the polls close - even exit interviews can cause some to vote some to stay home. And don't forget your dimples.

I believe in relating to that 4 or 5 minute song. How could I justify Eric Clapton or any artist from another Country.

But there has to be a time away from all of the garbage.

So, I add just one thing:

Study all of the Candidate's speeches, read their position papers,

figure what's best for the Country and for you (no voting for the send a Klipsch to....12.gif ..............

And then shut up and vote get off of your not so sweet spots.

dodger9.gif

• 2 weeks later...

----------------

On 8/2/2004 12:00:13 PM picky wrote:

...sorta says it all. Election years always seem so-o much longer than normal years......
15.gif

----------------

Shouldn't that be

"VOTE OR SHUT UP!" ?