Tube Amplifiers: Set, PP, 2A3, ??

Hi,

I've been playing around with some home brewed tube amps I bought off Ebay with great results. I was wondering what your opinion is on the best amp design for super effecient Klipsch speakers? I don't care about watts per channel. I can easily be happy with 2-5 watts. I want a huge sound stage, sweet mids and highs and tight bass ( I run a sub so bass can be a compromise if need be. Right now I have a small Tube amp based on a 6BQ5 tube. Thanks

Well, only two opinions, really.

1) Low powered SET may satisfy you; it depends on many variables, but it can be very rewarding if it meets your needs.

2) 20 Watts is the absolute minimum power you should use with any Klipsch speaker. If you think you are happy with less than 20W, you are fooling yourself, or you just have poor taste.

Ben,

If some of my amps are under 20watts. Does that mean I taste bad?2.gif6.gif9.gif

Rick

Edit: To be perfectly frank, Klipsch speakers sound terrible without an amplifier. I hardily recommend one of ample power to satisfy yourself in your room with the style and type of music you listen to at the volume with which you are comfortable.

----------------

On 7/27/2004 12:24:45 PM neo33 wrote:

"2) 20 Watts is the absolute minimum power you should use with any Klipsch speaker."

There is no such thing as an "absolute"!
----------------

I know.

In case my post was taken the wrong way, it was intended to represent the two trains of thought regarding the subject at hand. The vast majority of forum members will agree that the first opinion is reasonable. This one guy, though, insists on sticking to his guns in camp #2.

----------------

On 7/27/2004 12:46:15 PM bclarke421 wrote:

This one guy, though, insists on sticking to his guns in camp #2.

----------------

I'm certainly not holding a minority view. It's just that most people don't bother with arguing against the obvious fallacies.

There's only a handful of people in denial here; they just happen to be extremely vociferous.

----------------

On 7/27/2004 1:08:48 PM paulparrot wrote:

----------------

On 7/27/2004 12:46:15 PM bclarke421 wrote:

This one guy, though, insists on sticking to his guns in camp #2.

----------------

...most people don't bother with arguing against the obvious fallacies.

There's only a handful of people in denial here; they just happen to be extremely vociferous.

----------------

I think you're right about that, just not in the way that you think you are.

----------------

On 7/27/2004 12:29:30 PM 3dzapper wrote:

To be perfectly frank, Klipsch speakers sound terrible without an amplifier.

----------------

And the amplifier doesn't sound so hot if the speakers stay in the box!

----------------

I'm certainly not holding a minority view. It's just that most people don't bother with arguing against the obvious fallacies.

----------------

Most Klipsch owners use high power SS amplifiers and crappy HT receivers anyway.

----------------

On 7/27/2004 1:34:31 PM Guy Landau wrote:

----------------

----------------

Most Klipsch owners use high power SS amplifiers and crappy HT receivers anyway.

----------------

So sad but yet so true !

Well my little set amp puts out 2-4 watts and it sounds wonderful. If you like your windows to rattle and your ears to bleed then 20 watts is minimum. Tube watts are not the same as SS watts. The warm sound and 2nd order harmonics tames my K-horns and gives a wonderful sound that my ears revel in. I've only heard a Scott tube amp on my speakers so I don't have much to compare with.

I conducted an A/B test of the tube little amp against my mono-block 5 channel SS amp Bryston like. I ran the amp directly off the CD player and the SS amp via the preamp. I wanted to like my SS amp better so I could take the little amp upstairs to tame my Cornwall's. Not so. The little amp sounded warmer with better mids and highs. The SS amp did have a better bass response but overall sounded harsh in comparison, especially when the volume is turned up. My SS amp has gotten rave reviews so I know that it is one of the better sounding SS amps you can buy.

I didn't want to invest in vintage equipment because the cost of bringing it up to date is really expensive in many cases. I thought I would gamble with a hardcore hobbyist who has built many amps, has done extensive testing with the amp and has used all new caps, capacitors, etc.

I only paid 125.00 for the amp and it came with Webcor tubes made by Mullard and a Telefunken driver tube. Not a bad find.

Anyway, I was hoping to get some real answers. There are tradeoffs with each tube design. Set amps are minimalist with very few parts in the signal path. While a PP amp is quite complicated to get right. I'm no expert and am just learning but there are many Klipsch owners who have set amps and are very happy. So the 20 watt rule doesn't apply to everyone. I would still like to hear opinions from those who have compared the different tube designs side-by-side. Anyone??