Used khorn tips wanted

By way of introduction, I heard klipschorns for the first time in the early '60, and they just flipped me out. I next heard them again in the early '70s with some Bach organ music in a big show room. My clothes were flapping on my body, and the amp was putting out less than 1 watt! I have finally decided to take the plunge, and try to find a pair of used khorns. Now I need to learn enough about them to make a good choice. Since there have been many small changes to them over the many years they have been around, I would like to find out what changes are important, and when they happened. What should I look for in a used khorn. Any comments or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Ray C

Albq. NM

Welcome Ray, you came to the right place to learn everything Klipsch. I do not consider myself and expert, but trust me, someone will respond and provide you with all the info you ever wanted to know.

I have a pair of 1990 Khorns, and love'em. Excellent speaker, the best IMO.

This topic has come up a few times, there is a wealth of information on this forum. Use the search string above and it will point you to previous threads that discuss the very information that you seek. I do recall that not too long ago one of our resident experts HDBRbuilder (Andy) gave a through the years review on Khorn's and if you try varying the search string words you should be able to locate it.

Welcome to the forum!

I'm really curious why the amplification power issue is so exhaustingly important. This SET/PP argument has become incredibly tiresome. Can we talk about something else, like maybe the difference between plastic and metal midrange horns? I've always wondered about that. Sure it's been discussed elsewhere, but if I'm not mistaken, so has the power struggle.

I got into Khorns about 1.5 years ago without ever hearing them first hand.

There was a letter on Stereophile magazine couple of years ago where an elderly person wrote in to express his dissapointment with the moden high dollar speakers he had heard at the dealers. As I had tried most of the speaker models he was describing, I could relate to what he was saying. He concluded his letter by saying the most realistic grand piano he had ever heard on a stereo system was a pair of K-horns driven by a Marantz 7c/8B playing a recording of one of the masters on a LP...

My first K-horn was a pair of '71 model. I liked the sound so much, I have aquired three other pairs (plus a singe one) since then. They range from '76 to '02. To my ears they sound very smiliar from '71 to '02. If there were any sonic differences, they are very subtle, only recognized after being played side by side for weeks, IMO. And the difference may have to do with differences in placement than anything else.

So, my suggestion is to find a local pair without too much concern with the pair's model years and get sucked into the magic of the Khorns.

Ki

Ray, Welcome!

An ad on audiogon.com's wanted page might help find a pair of Korns in your area. That and a daily scan of ebay and this forum and you will get yours.

Good luck!

Rick

Edit: Here is a pair in Pheonix. Need finishing but are late model. I am high bidder right now (blackwatch26) at $10.10 but just did that to track them.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=5712513520&ssPageName=STRK:MEBI:IT