Members Weekly Music Recommendations-August 2

thebes

One again it's time to let us know what your listening to and think other members might like.

Don't forget to tell your friends in the Forum what we're dong here.

Rules are simple: Name of Individual/Group, Title,type of

music as best you can (rock, classic etc.) and weather its's a cd, lp etc.

Keb' Mo' self titled. I think's it's his first cd and is put out by Okeh Records. Primarily Delta Blues. Wonderful voice, powerful acoustic blues guitar and well recorded. Sounds a little bit like Taj Mahal with his sense of mood and gentleness.

Led Zeppelin: The BBC sessions. Great recorded shows that display just how great these guys were especially in their early days when they were very very "blues-y" Includes some harder to find tracks like Travelling Riverside Blues (great slide guitar) and some live medly stuff.

My newest music additions:

Jazz: Oscar Peterson 'A Night in Vienna' -- a new Verve dvd (w/cd) release of a 2003 concert.

Bluegrass/Country: Nitty Gritty Dirt Band 'Will The Circle Be Unbroken, Farther Along' - dvd release.

Rock: Eagles 'Hell Freezes Over' - dvd - an 'oldie', but 'new' in my place!

All are providing some great "looks and sounds".

Cheers!!

I just picked up a new DVD Audio disc by a great british rock band...Porcupine Tree.

The album name is, In Absentia. This is an oustanding recording from a group I knew nothing about only 2 months ago. If you like progressive rock that is not of the speed metal type then this may be a wonderful surprise for you, I know it was for me. This disc is made in the tradition of 70's style albums were the avg song was 7 min, not the 3 min of today.

These guys can rock but also provide you with that aural feeling you get with a recording like Pink Floyds, Dark Side of the Moon and the slight edgy sound of a band like Tool. Excellent guitar work both accoustically and electric. Great keyboards and a very nice drummer.

The DVD Audio surround tracks are only recorded at 48khz/24bit instead of the 92/24 that you normally find. However I must say it is an excellent sounding recording. The mix is very very good. With vocals mostly in the front 3 channels. Use of the surround mix is done very tastefully and really invites you in.

Disc Features:

12 songs

3 Bonus tracks ( in surround)

3 Music Video's in 5.1 surround

On Screen lyrics & Photo Gallery

Also includes:

DTS 5.1 48/24

PCM 2.0 Stereo

Highly Reccomended

ScooterDog

Well, I am sitting here less than 2 hours from Hope, temp is 95 +, humidity's about the same. What better way to escape it than to listen to Jimmy Buffett's new one -- License to Chill.

I've never been a big fan of his, but this hits my cool button. Maybe it's the heat. Maybe it's the times.

Nice tunes. Nice collaberations. Pretty good CD sound.

This is one for all of the classical buffs. Anne-Sophie-Mutter doing Vivaldi's The Four Seasons on DVDA. What can I say? Great violinist also conducting, great recording, and DVDA resolution. This one has stereo and multi-channel tracks. Both are outstanding.