Read this...

neo33

...article if you want to venture into 2A3 SET amps.

The following excerpts from the author sum it all up:

"As I said at the opening of this article, SET involves a "willing suspension of disbelief" for those of us more accustomed to full range listening. If you are unwilling to set aside preferences, you will find it impossible to enter into the delights that flea powered triodes like the 2A3s can provide. The opportunities that they give for the exploration of the purity of tone, the texture of timbre, the roundness of space, and the sense of presence are not to be missed if you are a true audio connoisseur. Without this experience, you will not have rounded out your audio education, and will be incomplete in your appreciation of what SETs have to offer audio. You will also misunderstand why so many audiophiles have chosen to pursue low-powered single-ended triodes, and what entrances them in their audio quest.

There are reasons why talented designers like Ron Welborne, George Wright, and Don Garber do what they do. Companies like E.A.R. and 47 Laboratory are breaking the rules and departing from convention, with results that are nothing less than magnificent. They beckon us in directions that we have not been, and invite us to travel new paths.

Are you willing to enter in?"

Are you saying we cannot be adults and act in decency just for once?

My intention is to provide information. If you don't have anything to contribute, then I suggest you don't say anything at all. The opening statement is very specific. Read it again if you don't understand. I think it's time for you to respect the opinions of people here.

Well, I surely discovered the SET "magic" when I finally got my 300B amp, and it is amazing! But right now I'm listening to chops' KT88-driven PP integrated amp playing one of my ol' Styx LPs on his old Technics turntable, and all I have to say is DAMN! This configuration also holds its own against those flea-powered SETs; it's rich, dynamic, and full of body, with a presence that IMO only tubes can provide! I don't give a rat's a$$ about the never-ending SET/PP debates...that's getting old, and it'll never change. I'm not a SET devotee just because I own a 300B SET power amp that kicks butt; I also love PP topology. Hell, I still love great SS amps (gimme a McIntosh anyday)...whatever sounds good is good enough for me!

Didn't mean to blast this thread...wasn't my intent. Just my two cents worth!

----------------

On 8/2/2004 7:14:08 PM neo33 wrote:

"I own a 300B SET power amp that kicks butt"

Doesn't that say something about SET amp?

Though the article talked
specifically
about
2A3
SET amps.

----------------

Yes, it does. But it depends on how hard you want to kick it!12.gif

(By the way, Neo, where are my pics?)

No one can deny that there is a large contingint of horn lovers who enjoy experimenting with and listening to low powered SET and other low powered topologies. To exclude them from discussion in a forum devoted to high efficiency horns would be luducrous. Yes PP has more slam but please don't slam the door on others likes. The worm could turn.

That said, did neo put out a bait? I think so at this time.15.gif

Rick

I like them all!, I have a set, it has its place, I listen to it most, with its detail and low power, you can listen to it everyday and not get tired of it. I have a PP, listen to it seldom, doesnt have the detail at lower volumes, but sounds great. I have big power SS, dont listen to it much neither, unless I want to party or flat rock the neighborhood. I also own other speakers than Klipsch, they all have their place also. I enjoy rolling different amps with different speakers. If you cant be happy with one or another, then buy them all.On top of it all I orderd a set of VMPS STR/R speakers today. Rob9.gif

Well then, my bad for spewing off at the mouth about SET/PP/SS debates...guess I should've read the complete article to get the full jist of the subject, that being the glorious 2A3 sound. Sorry, Neo.

Having never auditioned a 2A3, I don't know what I'm missing. Many claims have been made that the 2A3 is THE most liquid, smoothest SET topology around, and I certainly don't deny that! If I didn't win the eBay auction on BEZ's 300B, my second choice would've been his 2A3 SET, but I was afraid that 3.5 watts might not have been enough juice for my Cornwalls and my love of high levels. My loss, I guess...8.gif

A useful article for the uninitiated I suppose, albeit a bit dated being pulled from the Spring 2000 issue, to put it in perspective, take a glance at David Robinson's system today..

Perhaps a thread titled "simple is better because it preserves signal integrity" could be worthwhile.. or perhaps a more recent update on Don Garber and his Fi 2A3 monos would be in order.

The world is full of willing people, some willing to try certain audio gear, the rest willing to let them.

On the other hand, just think of the tragedy of teaching children not to doubt..

Why does a 300B kick butt? Does that mean a 2A3 can't?

This isn't baiting, until recently I was soley into solid state stuff (Carver/NAD, etc.)

I have read some postings and it seems that a 300B may have 8 watts as opposed to the 2A3s 3.5 watts. Does a difference of 4.5 watts constitute "kicking butt"?

Is there a consensus that 2A3 gives more detail? If 2A3 gives more detail, why does the 4.5 watt greater ceiling of a 300B matter (assuming you are using heritage speakers)?

- Lee