New Sammy DLP

DA1984

The ones I saw yesterday at BB were HD. Maye Samsung makes both?

EDIT: I better edit this. Maybe the tests and the specs are at odds. Do you have links to tests where they found ED and not HD?

EDIT 2: The set Mrs. Olorin and I are trying to get our paws on. HD per specs, I'd be really interested in knowing if we're talking about the same animal. http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=1077628470324&skuId=6476547&productCategoryId=cat03006&type=product

Well, my information is that they list it as HD, but that it does not fully resolve at 1280x720 but at something less than that, unfortunately I dont have the acutal data, just a source that it can only resolve a 640x720 test pattern.

Guest Anonymous

as far as i know all of the knew samsung dlps are still hd... and i have looked at them and compared them to the sony lcd projections and they still look better with an hd signal feed. personally i think that rumor is false... but what i will tell is true and that if you are interested in samsung dlps wait until the 5th generation dlps come because they will not have a color wheel period it will only usevibration mirrors and the chips which is even better, i do have to say that the newest dlps out right now area lot better than the old ones too because they don't have nearly the same amount of green as the old ones due, but right out of the box they do need to be tweaked a lot to get the best picture

CEDIA is here in Indy in Sept.. I will give ya'll a full hollar when it's here on my thoughts.

Seriously, all kidding and backwoods language, I guess the new units have more than one chip working. My own HLN series 61 inch DLP Samsung is a incredible picture IMO blowing away a LOT of twenty thou LCD's,,,

Setup is crucial. And it looks a lot better at home than at the store too. Remember, at the store the signal is corrupted and split probably 50 times. At home, with a clean and strong signal.. Heaven!!

Well, the point is, for those of you who are reading their manual straight onto this forum, is that of course it says native resolution of 1280 x 720, but that doesn't mean it actually performs to that standard. Also it is my understanding that the HLN with the HD 2 come closer than the the HD 3, so the HLN may actually make it there while the HD 3 does not. Please understand, its not an attack, just an attempt at getting some informed dialogue going here. If its not resolving at HD levels then its just ED.

I don't think anybody is attacking you. This is the thing -- specs are specs, test results are test results, facts are facts, and rumors are rumors. I think that until you provide some test results or some documentation to back up the rumor, you are on thin ice if you treat the claim as anything but an unsubstantiated rumor.

I understand that reading from the manual is nothing more than vendor claims. However, a vendor is putting itself in a tenuous position by making false claims, knowingly or not. It is in their interest to test their own claims and make sure they hold up.

I don't think you should be upset by people quoting their manuals. The manual is at least SOME form of documentation. You may be disinclined to disbelieve the vendor claim for whatever reason, and that is your right. Still, in the absence of any test results or other evidence to substantiate the ED/HD claim, the rumor is nothing more than a rumor.

You say you have this source that says it will only resolve a 640 x 720 pattern -- let's see it. There are folks here who have the sets, and if they know the testing criteria they can test for themselves. Let's see the rubric and test for repeatability. Maybe somebody will find something.

Gramas,

I think the current ones out are using the mirror thing and have already done away with the color wheel. That is why the current DLPs are only 14 inches deep, they also do not need calibrating like the color wheels. I am looking at getting one but have to figure out how to keep our current cabinet (which I may have to take apart and make a bit larger.)

i can absolutely promise you that the samsung DLP units are true 1280x720. many HTPC enthusiasts use the samsung DLP sets for exactly that reason, they are one of the few true 720p TV sets out there right now, and if you customize a 1280x720 resolution from your HTPC, the picture quality is second to none. i myself have had a PC hooked up to the 61" DLP we have here at work, and it resolved 720p just fine.

Guest Anonymous

no the reason the newer models are thinner is because they angled the chips, mirrors, and color wheel up a lot more making them smaller... but they still have the color wheel its the two generations away until the dlp does away with the color wheel, i do know that the next generation will have no bottom piece either... making it look just like the plasma from the front but still 14' in depth

For those of you who are waiting, or leaning toward a DLP, the competition for Samsung seems to be mounting. I own a 50" HLP, and am very pleased with the picture and "true" HD res., but after recently viewing the new Mitsubishi line of DLPs, I must admit, the gap is gone. (and these were the low end Mit. line).

I must say that I may have jumped the gun on this one, and after reading more on it at avsforum it seems that there are a lot of good points related to the resolution and perception thereof, sorry to cause the uproar. My apologies, however, I think the topic is still interesting. Still wondering when the 74 series is coming out with the HD 2+ chip . Anyone?

----------------

On 8/2/2004 10:10:18 PM garymd wrote:

I thought you were talking about Sammy Davis Jr. Now I'm dissappointed.
15.gif

----------------

I hear you, Gary! And I thought there'd eventually be a shot of Joey Heatherton in this thread, too...