Anyone using spades on Cornwalls?

charlieboy

I'm using Kimber Kable 8TC with its standard spade terminations. They are too wide to fit the Cornwall's terminal strip, so I jerry-rigged one end of each of the spades behind the terminal screws ever so gently. It's not the best setup (I used bare wire on my Orbeck Stratti), but I don't have the heart to cut off the spades, and I don't have the extra money to have the 8TCs reterminated.

You could always replace the old connections at the top of the Cornwall with a pair of 5 way binding posts at the bottom. This would allow you to use the wire directly, spades or plugs. Not very difficult, drill a hole, insert new posts, tighten and replace the wire from the input to the posts and solder the wire to the post. I like the better connection, all you have to be able to do is a little soldering. Connect the wire to the hole in the post, heat it up with a soldering iron, apply solder to wire and it will fill the void. One of the easiest things you can do with soldering and very difficult to mess up.

The spade size that will fit is a #6 and maybe a #8. This is not a wire gauge, but the spade size! These are hard to find in a gold plated version, but I have found my local Circuit City's auto installation dept has them available. You need to go in when they are not busy and make friends with the manager. I've been able to buy several gold spades three different times. The price is their cost, I think, which is much lower than the blister pack prices for similar stuff.

Hope this helps,

Mike

Replacing the binding posts is very easy. There are dozens of different styles and manufacturers to choose from. The set listed below is similar to what I replaced the originals with on my Cornwalls. I bought them at www.diycable.com. Just make sure you get some with the longer screws.

cardasbinding.jpg

Good Luck,

Chris

----------------

On 8/2/2004 9:22:35 PM charlieboy wrote:

I bought a set of speaker cables and the speaker end is 1/4". The are to wide to fit my cornwalls. What size is anyone using? Ill have to send them back for retermination.

----------------

I agree with Chris.

I used the same posts for both my Cornwalls and Heresy's.

Just make sure you have a good soldering iron (40W).

When you remove the old strips you can use one of the holes for one of the posts. All you have to do is resize the existing hole and drill a new one. The whole upgrade takes about 30 minutes for both speakers.

When you are done you can't tell they are not original. They take any size lug you have and make changing out wire so much easier.

Danny