I have another problem... Im getting sick of ebay...

Rdmarsiii

Thats the auction. I havent even taken a look at it since I first saw it. So he ened it to sell it at the current price, but then told me just to pay the $230. He said he ended it early for me. Thats the only thing he told me about it. What do you think?

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

----------------

On 8/3/2004 3:12:35 PM Rdmarsiii wrote:

Thats the auction. I havent even taken a look at it since I first saw it. So he ened it to sell it at the current price, but then told me just to pay the $230. He said he ended it early for me. Thats the only thing he told me about it. What do you think?

----------------

It's simple......If the seller said he'd accept $230 now and the rest later, then you should pay up. If you are absolutely certain the seller was "just being nice" and gave you the sub for $230, then you shouldn't send him anything. Notify Ebay if the seller threatens to post a negative feedback comment unless you pay him. I think it's against their rules.

He didnt say anything about the rest later. Thats the problem. He didnt try to infer it or anything. He had to get rid of it because his wife said so, and supposedly theyre moving. Soo, I dunno. I'll pay what he paid for shipping, but I dont see what he wants the other $70 when he took the $230.

Actually, it's simple. He's scammed you for $230 and is trying for more.

Tell him you'll send the rest of the money when you get the sub, because you are getting suspicious. He'll disappear and you will have paid your Stupid Tax.

Sorry.

----------------

On 8/3/2004 3:54:25 PM xcjago wrote:

Just contact Ebay Tech Support and ask them! IMO, if you sent him $230 and he sent you the sub, then the deal is closed.

----------------

As far as eBay would be concerned, the auction was ended(early) at the price of $300, and they would collect their fee based on that amount. It also states that the buyer would be responsible for all shipping costs. Verbal ammendments to the 'contract' are of no concern to eBay and really should not have been enter into (and certainly, AT YOUR OWN RISK). EBay did not fail here, but YOU and the seller made some kind of alternate arrangements. The problem is that the thread is only getting your interpretation of the situation.

----------------

On 8/3/2004 4:11:06 PM jerohm wrote:

----------------

On 8/3/2004 3:54:25 PM xcjago wrote:

Just contact Ebay Tech Support and ask them! IMO, if you sent him $230 and he sent you the sub, then the deal is closed.

----------------

As far as eBay would be concerned, the auction was ended(early) at the price of $300, and they would collect their fee based on that amount. Verbal ammendments to the 'contract' are of no concern to eBay and really should not have been enter into (and certainly, AT YOUR OWN RISK). EBay did not fail here, but YOU and the seller made some kind of alternate arrangements. The problem is that the thread is only getting your interpretation of the situation.

----------------

You do not have his side, but IMO, theres nothing I can lie about in this situation. I sent him the $230, he sent the sub. Im sure if he came into it, our storys would be different, but thats just me. It always happens. Not many of you know me in person, but if oyu do, you'd know that Im a terrible liar. I couldnt lie if my life depended on it. But I guess its just the way I was raised. (I know none of oyu said i was, i just wanted to add that) He emailed me this on Sunday, I emailed him back saying I thought we were through. He hasnt emailed me back yet. Maybe he ran off... I dunno. I'll be gone til next saturday, with the school. If anything happens, I'll let yall know. I dont know what I need to do though. He's givin me a deadline on when to pay.

I am certainly not questioning your honesty, or his, for that matter. The truth is that if all a neutral party had, was the original auction post with updated status, it would clearly imply you agreed to pay $300 plus shipping... no matter what may, or may not have been agreed to after the fact.

Have you got on the phone again and discussed the matter? Email tag is no way to resolve the problem.

Interesting issue... after looking at the way the auction ended it looks like Ebay has a kosher option to end an auction early for a particular bid price. I had no idea this was possible. That changes the issue.

My take on it in terms of ethics, he agreed on a lower price and shipped the gear. That is a complete transaction. Your earlier "official" agreement would no longer be binding. Done deal. You might get stuck with some negative feedback, though technically it would be unjustified.

If you are wondering about it, it could be worthy of reconsideration to arrive at a win-win situation to compromise at say, the original auction price of $300. And I think you would be extending yourself in the kindest way to do that.

----------------

On 8/2/2004 10:17:37 PM Rdmarsiii wrote:

Ooook, I gotta tell the whole story first before I ask what I need to do. As most of you know, I bought a Paradigm PS-1200 off of ebay. I talked to the seller and all that, and he ended it early. I won the auction for $300, which was fine with me at the time. We talked more, and he said he'd be happy with $250, which was all he wanted for the sub. Most of our conversations took place on the phone. So he finally said that he would take $230 for it, so I sent the payment that night. He shipped it out the next day. I told him I felt bad for him selling it $70 under what I won it for. So I told him that I'd pay what he did for shipping, and he said he was just being nice, and all he wanted was $230. So I thought we were all good. He emailed me today, giving me til the 20th to give him another $108. I dont have $108. I thought we were even. He said he found something he wanted to buy. He said its fair on mine and his parts. he ended it early, on a agreed price, which was $230. But now he wants another $108. What do I do? I dont have the $108. I dont think he can give me bad feedbaack for it, since he got what he wanted. I dunno what to do. Suggestions? Thanks, David

----------------

Consider yourself lucky.

Both of you violated the rules of E-Bay auctioning. You both tried to make deals "under the table"

Deal with it..

I'd never buy anything from either of you.

7.gif

----------------

On 8/3/2004 3:25:10 PM Rdmarsiii wrote:

Yeah, the sub is about 6 feet away from me, and it works fine.

----------------

In that case, then tell the seller to go pi$$ up a rope and to take his $108 and shove it up where the sun don't shine! Don't worry about negative feedback (and is it really worth $108 to avoid something as petty as negative feedback - just respond with a rebuttal if he did post it). Since this sale was settled outside of eBay, then don't worrty about it. He ultimatly agreed to $230 and you got a decent working sub, so end of deal - period, paragraph, end of story!

David-

I just feel that by indulging in behind the scenes negotiations, which appear to have excluded the other bidder who also was willing to pony up $300, you kinda lose the right to whine IMO. Another thing to consider, why would the seller be willing to sell the sub for less than what two bidders were willing to pay via legitimate auction? The whole thing stinks to high heaven.

Anyway, you came out ahead (I think). Enjoy the sub.

This seller has been registered with eBay for 4 years and has only left feedback ONCE. You should just let it go and hopefully he'll forget about the whole thing. He's "moving" and stuff so he's probably busy. Then on the 90th day after the auction ends(the last day either of you can leave feedback) you should give him negative feedback and say that he's a shady character just to be funny.