Doom 3 gaming experience!

TheEAR

What an AWESOME game,the graphics on 1600*1200 on 21" in high detail and 4AA look AMAZING! The effects be it fire or liquid are first rate,the best yet.The sourround sound best of class,the whole game is a refined horror masterpiece.

I am enjoying each second of it,and can play smooooth at 1600*1200 in High Detail and 4AA!Even when monsters rush at me(and drop dead from the gunfire).

9.gif

Its all good,Doom 3 is worth the money oh yeah.

The light effects are so far beyond anything else(including FarCry) its not even funny,the shadows are simply IT here.

The game is worthy of all the hype

Now lets see what Half Life 2 brings to the table

1.gif

I have to settle with running the game at 1280x1024 and medium effects on my system (and I thought it was a monster, being a P4 2.8@3.2Ghz, R9800Pro and 1GB RAM).

So far the game seems a little repetitive, and somehow less fun than the original. But I have to admit, they sure got the scary aspect down well. Strange, I've learned that picking up a medpack is not always the best option as something is almost guaranteed to jump you when you do so, and you might waste more health defending yourself... not to mention ammo.

Did not read too much about the sourround,but it is REAL 5.1 and makes full use of it.In 5.1 with the PM Ultra5.1 the mood is almost too real,and I think nobody who wants to live the whole Doom 3 experience should be deprived of a quality 5.1 speaker system.

It makes the whole game just a bit better,making it a true classic.

I tell you people the game has its flaws but the positives far outnumber the minor glitches(like killed monsters falling down in ...strange positions,some physics glitches)

And the killed zombies should twitch WWE style at random,this would make the game even more sinister. 2.gif

You know, I am using a pair of RF-3IIs for this game, with no surrounds, but I was playing last night as was scared ummm... well a lot. The simulated 3D imaging is very good, and the RF-3s have power. Power that the Ultras could not have been able to convey. Oy I wish I could have a full 3-series based system : )

You don't want to play it actually.

I know I'll be flamed for this, but I just finished it, and the game simply blows (apart from a couple of levels). It is long, EXTREMELY repetitive, and did I mention long - like long to the point where the last few levels feel like nothing but filler.

meuge, are you serious?? nothing really changes?? I had I hunch about that when I started it at a friends house. thats a shame15.gif . such killer(not literally) graphics and sound but no good game layout/story/etc. I guess Im missing nothing then. I was looking at getting a new graphics card for my pc but now that idea is out the window. thanks for the heads up. I saw the first two DOOM's as a repetative game so this should be no surprise. all they did was add razzle dazzle to it. hopfully this new "doom engine" or what ever will be put to use for all other PC games. I don't know if others are going to flame you. once they finish Im sure they'll have similar thoughts-like 14.gif8.gif15.gif7.gif6.gif

scp53

----------------

On 8/10/2004 10:07:51 PM meuge wrote:

I know I'll be flamed for this, but I just finished it, and the game simply blows (apart from a couple of levels). It is long, EXTREMELY repetitive, and did I mention long - like long to the point where the last few levels feel like nothing but filler.

----------------

Yes medivac you WILL get what you deserve for this post.

You did not get what Doom was all about,Doom 3 is DOOM.Its dark,has tense moments and should be played on Nightmare to really feel what doom is.I am finishing the game on NIGHTMARE and its the real deal.

Its like saying FF6 or 7 blows because I do not like RPG's,nearly worthless evaluation.

To fully enjoy Doom 3 one needs a 3000+ CPU/1GB RAM/X800 or 6800 class video card anything less is a serious couter to enjoying this game.

----------------

On 8/10/2004 9:39:38 PM m00n wrote:

DAMN IT! I wanna play it but geeze, I'd have to drop the bank into my PC. I'm running P4 1.8, 256 megs RDRAM, and an old GeForce 2 card.

----------------

With athat setup you can still play Solitaire and Mine Sweeper!

2.gif

Dude get a better video card(GeForce 6800,plain non Ultra/non GT will do)and add 512 RAM.The rest is fine

----------------

On 8/11/2004 10:33:23 PM TheEAR wrote:

----------------

On 8/10/2004 10:07:51 PM meuge wrote:

----------------

Yes medivac you WILL get what you deserve for this post.

You did not get what Doom was all about,Doom 3 is DOOM.Its dark,has tense moments and should be played on Nightmare to really feel what doom is.I am finishing the game on NIGHTMARE and its the real deal.

Its like saying FF6 or 7 blows because I do not like RPG's,nearly worthless evaluation.

To fully enjoy Doom 3 one needs a 3000+ CPU/1GB RAM/X800 or 6800 class video card anything less is a serious couter to enjoying this game.

----------------

Alright maybe I was a little harsh when I said that the game blows. It doesn't really blow. They did do the atmosphere really well. And I cannot deny the quality of the graphics to be incredible. And yes Ear, I can enjoy the game on my system which is just fine for getting a good feel for the game, granted not the utmost best. When I wrote that the game blew I was actually very frustrated right after finishing the game. You see, I had enjoyed the game for a few days, playing it level by level on a hard difficulty setting. It was nice, but it was getting to be a little predictable. The tricks the game plays with light, dark and lighting are fun and new (actually they are revolutionary in many ways for computer games), but I felt that they were repetitively overused. So much so, that I could often go into a dark corner and fire my shotgun exactly where the imp would materialize or come out of a hidden compartment without actually seeing anything using the flashlight. I think that lack of surprise was getting to me. Then I finally got to playing the hell level. I enjoyed it quite a lot. And I'll give credit where credit is due - it was fun, although at times I felt they could have done more to harness the power of the game's engine and present more impressive (read large and stylized) halls, rather than bleak dark corners (although that could have been exactly their vision of hell, who knows). But what frustrated me the most were the levels after that one, and I will refrain from talking about them, suffice it to say I no longer felt that the game's story and gameplay were coherent. There were entirely too many subsequent levels and they did little to further the plot. Not only that, but it was back to the old gameplay style of turning switches (not only, but close enough), which I was getting tired from a while ago. I also have some issues with the final level and the ending but we won't get to that since I don't want to spoil it for those who haven't played it yet.

Ehh, I hope I am making my points clear. And I want to make sure that I don't want to offend anyone, I am just making observations. If you think I am wrong I will gladly accept counter arguments. After all, I coudl have been in a bad mood that day (I finished the game from the level before hell in one evening).

----------------

On 8/6/2004 2:53:57 PM meuge wrote:

You know, I am using a pair of RF-3IIs for this game, with no surrounds, but I was playing last night as was scared ummm... well a lot. The simulated 3D imaging is very good, and the RF-3s have power. Power that the Ultras could not have been able to convey. Oy I wish I could have a full 3-series based system : )

----------------

You'd be surprised just how well the Ultras convey power and/or a surround field, truly surprising from mere "PC" speakers.

As for Doom 3, I agree..its a immersive masterpiece, and gives new word to scary. Something that hasn't truly been done since Clive Barkers Undying or AVP2 for example.

----------------

On 8/12/2004 7:40:38 AM InnovaZero wrote:

----------------

On 8/6/2004 2:53:57 PM meuge wrote:

----------------

You'd be surprised just how well the Ultras convey power and/or a surround field, truly surprising from mere "PC" speakers.

As for Doom 3, I agree..its a immersive masterpiece, and gives new word to scary. Something that hasn't truly been done since Clive Barkers Undying or AVP2 for example.

----------------

I wouldn't be surprised, since I do own a set of Ultras.

Hmmm... Doom 3, what is that? I've never heard of it. Just kidding. I'm waiting to get it until I upgrade my machine. How do you guys think it'll run on an AMD 64 3000+ with 512megs of pc 3200 ram and a radeon 9800se 128mb gfx. card? Also, is it available on DVD-ROM or will I have to use six cd's like far cry? Happy gaming!

if in doubt, check out the Doom 3 guide on the hardforums http://www.hardforum.com

on an athlon/p4 that is 2 ghz or better with a 128MB video card that's at least a geforce fx5700 or radeon 9600 you should be able to play 800x600 in HQ mode or 1024x768 medium quality. both medium and highquality modes look awesome whether you're in 1024x768 or even 800x600 resolution.

my rig consists of...

AMD Athlon XP 2800+

1GB DDR400 memory

Nvidia Geforce FX 5700 Ultra

i run Doom3 1024x768 in high quality mode. in the timedemo (demo1) i average out 28 fps, but durning actual game play i seem to be closer to 40fps.

also, check out the doom 3 tweak guide at www.tweakguides.com VERY informative.