Harmon Kardon double score!

Dave in ABQ

Hello everyone,

Last week I found not one but two HKs at the local Salvation Army. A HK model Three thirty (spelled out not numbers) with a slighly scratched up wood case. And a very good condition HK430. The Three Thirty did not apear to have a right channel when listeing with the "tech" so he sold it for $4.00, It does work, but one of the switches (I forget which) needs to be toggeled a bit. The HK430 did not light up (just needs bulbs) but works fine otherwise and was gotten for the princely sum of $5. I was very stoked and tried hard not to seem to exicted. I had never found anything of worth at the Salvation Army up to then. LOL

As for the HK430, I hooked it up to my Fortes and they sound great! A very rich and full sound is the best I could describe them. Very happy and you guys are right about these underrated little receivers. I found a Sansui 9090DB a couple of days later (best luck month of the year!!) and while it blows the HK away in feature goodies, power and pizaz, it doesn't sound quite as good on the Fortes as the "little" HK.

Question, How do you change the bulbs on the dial face? I can't figure out out to disasembe the front? Any hints would be appreceated.

Thanks and happy listening to all!

Just take the case top off...then unscrew the bulb holder assembly,,,,kinda tricky but can be done....also you can get the other small diode type bulbs for the power switch and the dial indicator from parts express.Order extra bulbs ,the ones i got some burnt out kinda fast not sure why...if you need more help just ask...Rick

I was considering the Sansui 9090 myself. I have an HK730 currently and it's just fine but I do like the extra features on the 9090 including the midrange control and hook-up for a 3rd set of speakers. Dave: How well does the midrange tonal adjustment work on this unit? I would think it might make a difference using it with heritage 3-ways?

You mentioned that the HK sounded a little better than the Sansui? In what way/s? Curious.

Also, with the recent mention about the Marantz 2325 (which looks pretty similiar in specs and cosmetic design to the Sansui), does anyone know what the advantages of the Marantz over the Sansui would be?

I am looking for another SS budget alternative to a tube amp . Currently running a set of Cornwalls and CF's with just the HK730. Good sound here but I am concerned that this may not be the best idea considering the rather low wpc of the HK.

Hi!

I just replaced a 160 wpc Sansui 9900z with a HK430 and couldn't be happier. I have it hooked up to a pair of Dynaco A-25's and the sound is fuller, more dynamic and realistic. I would have never dreamed that a 25 wpc amp would work so much better than 160 wpc. The Dynacos with the Sansui sounded clean, but lacked any kind of dynamics or realism.

I too just replaced the "fuse-type" bulbs in the HK430. I had to remove the face to get to the screws to take off the bonnet which holds the lights. You can get all the lights from Parts Express. They are the "indicator lamps - 6.3v 250ma" types. If you need to replace the micro bulb that lights the dial pointer, it is the "micro-lamp 6.3v 35ma" type.

For what it is worth, I purchaed my HK430 for $15.50 off of eBay. I just picked it up since it was offered locally, so I paid no shipping charges. I guess your $5.00 deal still has me beat!

Hopes this helps.

Milton

Hello everyone, sorry it took me a while to reply. Rick, I took the top off and did unscrew the bulb holder, but it seemed that the tuneing string would be in the way. I'll look at it again after ordering the bulbs.

Milton, thanks for the part numbers! I would have easyly paid $15.50 myself. I've had a very lucky month.

Zoran, the 9090DB is a great receiver. For loud music, or for the features its a large step up from the little HK. Also the tonal ajustment is nice for tuning out any harshness etc. in our horns. (No Blasphomy intented) I did not really play with it much. However, The "little" HK with lower volumes seems to be fuller and richer sounding. I'm not a Stereophile grade audiophile, but it seemed to "Bloom" more, and seemed a little better matched with my Fortes. This at lower background level volums. At higher volumes, the Sansui probably wins due its much greater power. I'll need to play with them more to really come to any firm conclutions.

Wish I could give you more specifics, but I have not had much time to ejoy music the last few weeks :(

Thanks again for all the input, I'll order up the bulbs soon, and bug you all again if/when I get stuck. LOL

Dave

I have yet to hear a vintage HK receiver, but my 9090DB is very harsh and overly bright sounding on my Heresy, Cornwall, and LaScalas.

The three tube setups that I own have a much better overall sound to them IMHO.

But as quality goes up so does the price one pays.