rb-35 vs. rb-25?

jono

I plan on getting the rb-75 for fronts and the rc-7 for the center but for the surrounds(5.1 system), I'm not sure if I should get the rb-25s or the rb-35s in my 19' by 13' by 9' room. I would prefer the rb-25's since they are smaller but since I will have only 2 surrounds the rb-35 might sound better.

Any advice?

Thanks.

----------------

On 8/7/2004 2:47:14 AM jono wrote:

I plan on getting the rb-75 for fronts and the rc-7 for the center but for the surrounds(5.1 system), I'm not sure if I should get the rb-25s or the rb-35s in my 19' by 13' by 9' room. I would prefer the rb-25's since they are smaller but since I will have only 2 surrounds the rb-35 might sound better.

Any advice?

Thanks.

----------------

My first thought is to get the RB-35s at least. Otherwise you will probably never hear a peep out of your surrounds because you have such a strong set-up up front. I know there is relatively very little that comes from your surrounds but, when they are supposed to be heard you want to make sure you can. Personally, I would go for a pair of RB-5s if you wanted to go bookshelf speakers but since you do appear to be concerned with space the RB-35's might be acceptable.

Just to let you know, I am a relative newbie here so take my advice with a grain of salt. But, everything I said makes sense to me...9.gif

D-Rex

rb-25's are pretty damn loud, I dont see whats so hard about tweaking a volume setting for the rear once.

rb-35's have a 95dB sensitivity

rb-25's have a 94db sensitivity

I'm sorry but not hearing a peep out of your rear speakers? Have you heard rb-25's?

----------------

On 8/8/2004 3:29:41 AM 007 wrote:

rb-25's are pretty damn loud, I dont see whats so hard about tweaking a volume setting for the rear once.

rb-35's have a 95dB sensitivity

rb-25's have a 94db sensitivity

I'm sorry but not hearing a peep out of your rear speakers? Have you heard rb-25's?

----------------

No, I haven't heard them. I have RB-5s which also put out some great sound which I purchased as mains so that when I get the funds I can move them to surrounds and purchase RF-5's or RF'7s. I don't think I would want to go with much smaller but I am sure it would depend upon the location of the satellites compared to the size of the room.

I have read on this forum numerous times to match your speakers as closely as possible to the same series. However, if I were going to try and get away from that rule, I imagine it would be with the satellites. Maybe an RB-5 or higher would be overkill? Any other opinions?

If you aren't afraid of buying over the internet, Ebay has a set of RB-35's that seem to be a decent price: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=14991&item=5713984018&rd=1

D

I think that rc'7 may be to much... I dunno. but it is a good idea to have matched fronts and surrounds. but its not necessary. rb25's would match too. I say get 2 prs of 35's and the proper center channel. you'll save a lot of money by going with the 35's instead of 75's as mains(but the 75's definatly have an edge on the 35's, depends on if you can pay the extra cash) is the rs stuff of any intrest?? is your room "ideal"??

I recommend sticking with the RB-75's and RC-7's. The RC-7, IMO, minus bass output, is the single best sounding speaker on the Klipsch reference line -- why would you NOT get that.

In terms of output, the RB-35 will be the best option to match at 96db eff. (vs. 97 (rb-75) and 98 (rc-7)).

The RB-25 sounds great, but is potentially 4db in output behind RB-35 (~half the power handling = -3db, -1db in efficiency) and is a little great than 4db less output than the RC-7. Moderate difference there.

If you can afford the RB-35's rear, by all means do it. If not, I would NOT sacrifice the QUALITY of the frontstage (rb-75 and rc-7 YES!) for a small increment in the quality of your 2 rears.

----------------

On 8/8/2004 12:30:37 PM jono wrote:

So then would it be better to get rb-35s for the fronts and surrounds but I would like to keep the rc-7.

----------------

I would go with the best front's I could afford and then back fill the surrounds with the next best option. If you have to get RB-25s then it certainly won't be a complete loss, sell them on Ebay when you can afford one of the better or best options.

D

Is there any reason that you haven't considered the RS-7's for surround speakers, or you only considering mono-pole speakers for your surrounds? The Reference series should all work together, but the 7's all the way around are hard to beat. As far as the "loudness" issue goes, as long as you use an SPL meter and a calibration disc, you shouldn't have a problem of one speaker overpowering another. Carl

I assume you have a valid reason for not getting RB-75s for the surrounds. In that case, go w/ the 35s as their horn is closer to the 75s' horns. The 25s have a 5" horn, the 35s a 6" horn, and the 75s have an 8" horn. Also, if you get the 35s, they will make a nice bedroom system later if/when you upgrade to RB-75s all around. Don't forget, you can get 3 pairs of RB-75s for a 6.1 setup and have a lot of fun.

John

Just my 2 cents:

I have a pair of RB25's that I plan to use as rear surrounds. To test their output, I placed them on top of my RF3-IIs, and hooked them up as my mains, and then re-adjusted their output levels and crossover... They are EXCELLENT sounding speakers for their size, great clarity, good midrange...I think they would make great surrounds.