The Village

WMcD

----------------

On 2/16/2005 12:31:21 AM toddvj wrote:

----------------

On 2/14/2005 11:51:08 AM jacksonbart wrote:

Like most M Knight movies, I will not watch many times over.

----------------

I watch The Sixth Sense every day with my sister, who lost her short term memory in a car accident. It sucks.

----------------

Isn't that a line from 50 First Dates?

----------------

On 2/15/2005 2:48:52 PM Amy Unger wrote:

Be sure to rent Audition (in your foreign film section--Japanese).

----------------

"Audition" is more of a snuff film than a horror movie. Now no one can call me squeamish, and I've been sprayed with blood on many occasions, but that movie was quite disturbing.

• 2 weeks later...

I saw it last night (pay per view - FULL SCREEN and STEREO - 14.gif ) - really liked it.

WARNING: MAJOR, TOTAL SPOILER AHEAD

At the end, when you hear, "I am from the University of Pennsylvania and I have an idea.", I did nod. That was a great twist (I knew it was coming, but was not sure exactly how the twist would work).

However, despite the twist, I could not get past the fact:

-After a few years, they would be flat out of supplies. What about all the fuel they used? Textiles, soap, nails, glass, shoes, needles and thread, metal, etc. Where did this stuff come from? Eventually, stuff breaks and wears out.

-Let's assume they had a 10 X 10 mile area they were in the middle of. They said the gevernment was kinda paying for it, but what was in it for them? Nothing. I could see a university paying for it, but they would need to do research, and there was no way to see what was happening - and with research comes a knowledge of this exsistance. It would get figured out really quick.

If they solved the first issues (supplies), I could have gotten into it a lot more, but I just couldn't let that go.

----------------

On 2/27/2005 7:03:33 PM Joe Shmoe wrote:

The government didn't pay for it, I don't think? Wasn't it his brother or whoever was the billionaire, he got the money & paid for the land and air rights & everything else, so as not to be disturbed.
----------------

But when they are talking in the guard shack, didn't they say something about 'big government pay checks' or did I hear it wrong. I thought the point of the money discussion was how money corrupts.

You might be right.

F**k man, if I was going to do that, I would have a huge house with a MASSIVE racetrack and a stable full of cars. I would just have anything I wanted 'imported'/ordered and enjoy myself.

• Moderators

I think the William Hurt character was the billionaire, and I assumed he bought the land (his last name was Walker and the name of the land was Walker Reserve or Park or something like that).

To get supplies, I would think any one of the elders would just go into the "town" to get them, but it seemed like they were pretty self-sufficient.

I also think Shyamalan's character was in on it, too (the guy reading the newspaper in the park office at the end), because he asked the security guard about the girl and told him something like it is better to not ask questions (didn't he?), then he completely ignored him as he was stealing medical supplies. Maybe he helped them with their supply needs, as well, or at least helped them keep their secret.

I'll have to watch it again now 1.gif

I loved the Sixth Sense of course, becuase I completely fell for it, no so much the Signs, because I expected that something would turn out not to be true, well it was, but I didn't expected the synergy between people's quirks to be as profound, still makes think to this day that perhaps there is a purpose behind all of our quirks, The Village however, made me feel betrayed, as if the elders were punishing their children for their fears and phobias, there are Luddites that desire a return to a simpler (harsher) life, the Mountain states are filled with them, but I thought the ending of the Village was only the beginning, what if, like so many others, the youngens don't want the life of their parents, what if they don't keep the secret?

Better than the Unbreakable, because of the stronger cast, but weaker than the Sixth Sense and Signs.

16.gif

• Moderators

----------------

On 2/28/2005 12:40:46 PM Colin wrote:

The Village however, made me feel betrayed, as if the elders were punishing their children for their fears and phobias, there are Luddites that desire a return to a simpler (harsher) life, the Mountain states are filled with them, but I thought the ending of the Village was only the beginning, what if, like so many others, the youngens don't want the life of their parents, what if they don't keep the secret?

----------------

Hi Colin!

What I got from the Village is that the elders were trying so hard to force a way of life because of the dangers and violence of the "real world," yet all they succeeded in doing was perpetuating the same dangers on a smaller scale. They couldn't keep the voilence out, despite their best, and most unorthodox, efforts.

Moral of the story: You cannot alter human nature, no matter your enviornment.

It is an interesting question though... Do you think the older children continued the charade?

• 2 weeks later...

Watched last night...

Gotta love the Dolby EX....

The soundtrack...was incrdible...very eerie....close your eyes and the music would make ya jump....

Acting...was very good....

Story was very different from mainstream.....and I was entertained..

Scenery was good as well...

I cannot rank Night's 4 major movies as each is different....

Sixth sense was incredible since it was his first...and it raises ones expectations of future movies from him....I truly like the other 3 movies after...each is special in its own way and the stories different enough that it does not follow any patterns...

The village is worth a watch....and I am glad I bought it Used for $10....a great bargain....