upgrading la scala

matt hawkins

• 1 month later...

I have seen it both ways, but the safest bet is to only cover the back of the woofer completely. This will prevent excessive reflections from the back chamber.

The general approach that I have seen in "Building Speaker Enclosures", Davis and Badmaeiff, 1978 is that triangular back chambers do not require insulation except at the bottom (Klipsch doesn't use any), that is, the angles break-up the reflected waves directly behind the woofer. Since the LS/BELLE back chamber is not actually vertically deep enough, the insulating the bottom alone is sort of a moot point.

I use insulation in the back chamber of my corner horns.

It DOES make a great deal of difference in low-end "clarity".

DM2.gif

Matt. Welcome to the Forum. As you can tell we sometimes go astray, after a fashion. It would seem that a partial response to your questions is that it might not be a good idea to lay out a chunk of dough before you try the D-man's very interesting and well explained tweak. As I understand it, if you proceed you're going to have to modify the heck oout of those babies for it to work right. In other words, you can't just drop them in and expect the best.

I'm lying D-man. I have no idea what you're talking about but I'm probably the least knowledgable gear guy on the forum. Quite frankly I like it like that-it cuts down on the headaches.

Despite my ignorance, this is truly interesting stuff. I just want to make sure I'm translating properly the gist of your responses in case Matt is as technicaly stupid as I am.

Scoot, here is the only thing I got: a pic of my corner horn bin with the driver out.

It is roughly twice as deep (vertically) as a LS/BELLE bin, so the bottom insulation is used (but I don't recommend that for a LS/BELLE). Only behind the woofer basket.

I wish somebody (!) whould tell me how to get these pics to load directly without having to click on the attachment!

DM2.gif

post-13458-13819257433786_thumb.jpg

DM,

Once you upload your pic, paste this line into the message body with the proper filename. Replace the # signs with less than and greater than characters.

#img src='http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/files/filename.jpg'#

If I put in the great than less than cahrs here, it will disappear. I did the line again with your filename -- chamber11.jpg

Marvel

chamber11.jpg