what cables??

Scp53

Im not a big beleiver in expensive cables but thats partly because I don't own anything real high end. Im looking for a pair of 20-25 ft cables to run my rb25's and also sb3's when I hook them up- which isn't often. I need pins for the receiver(preferabley removable ones for future receivers with banna plugs) and what evers best for the RB25's- and will bananas work on these?? bananas are what I want for the speakers but not sure if they will work.

so what are my options?? build them, by them?? the wire needs to be 12-16 ga. im planning on ordering something in the next few days. if I could, Id like to go with parts express. but any other reliable electronics store on the web is ok too. so tell me what to get. my budget is $40 or less. that includes shipping and tax(if there is tax).

scp53

Id like more than one opinion.

dougdrake, what kind of connectors should I get?? crip ones? or solder ones? or noncrip ones that tighten?? should I get the ones at the same website?? im not sure if those straight pins will fit my rb25's. Ive always used monster tips that are angled. will straight ones work?

I can only tell you how I have my connections, but that may not be the best. I did them this way for convenience. I used crimped pins for the connections into my amplifier switch (I switch my Chori between a SS and a tube amp), and screw-type banana plugs at the speaker and amplifier ends.

----------------

On 8/20/2004 11:02:10 AM Scp53 wrote:

thanks to every one.
10.gif
Im going to buy 50ft(25fr each speaker) of 10-14 awg of speaker wire. no retailer near me has any. there all name brandz like monster cable or something else. my local rat shack has like 16 awg. I think Im going to order from bluejeanscable.com or

----------------

if you wish to buy the canare cable from bluejeans cable i would go to http://markertek.com . it is almost 40 cents a foot cheaper then here www.bluejeanscable.com.

My local Walmart has 50ftx14guage cable in their auto department,10 bucks.This is a very good quality cable,I have cable from $10 to $300 in my various set ups,I'd put the Walmart against any I have seen or heard for sound.The cable at home depot in my opinion is sub standard,cheap,stiff and does turn green premature,it may sound just as good,I dunno.

I got 50ft audio king wire- 10 gauge!! and also got tips for one set of ends and bananas for the others. I found out that the caps on the Klipsch terminals pop off. finally I can have bananas. 3.gif

and thanks to all who replied. Ill post if I notice a sound improvment. maybe Ill notice a difference because its 10 gauge instead of my ole monster 16 gauge. we'll have to see 2.gif

scp53

how long for the home depot stuff to turn green, because i have had mine for about a year and no sign of turning green. and i don't think the stuff is cheap in quality at all. Now i think you are correct in that the stuff is stiff, it has a pretty thick layer of plastic coating around it. I like it that way it sets up against my base board nice and straight and nice looking. and the sound is wonderful, much better then the moster 16 gauge xp i used to own

I got my cables today3.gif. this sound king wire is VERY nice. thick jacket, good copper wire, etc.

I got one problem though, my darn wire cutter/stripper goes to 10 ga and my wire is 10 ga but when I strip the wire I lose strands of copper. Im the kind of guy who if you lose just one it makes you mad as he!!. then you start over. so I think Ill either hand cut it off with a razor or I ll use my solder gun to melt it off. I tried on a piece of the jacket that I had cut off and it burns through it ok. but may get some platic in the wire core while melting. so im going to stick with the slow "hand-cutting" way.

the tips are nice. how do I use the compression bannas and reg tips?? do you stick it up in the hole and seperate the wire once its through and then screw it in?? these are the dayton audio ones. I guess I kind of know but want to make sure its the right way to do it. just double checking.

scp53

I ended up using a utility knife. worked fine. I only cut 3 strands of wire on one end. because it is 10 ga I just left it. those 3 strands I lost will not matter.

scp53

note: I think I hear a difference because Im hearing stuff that I didn't hear before. but maybe its just me. the bass seems to be better but who knows...