Adcom amps w/ Klipsch?

jephdood

I was pondering a purchase of a couple Adcom power amps to power two pairs of RF-3s (possibly RF-7s later), an RC-7, and a couple of RS-3 II's, effectively turning my Denon 3803 into a processor.

Number one, anyone have good first-hand experience with Adcom amps and Klipsch? Cost is most definitely an issue, and by buying these used, I'd be looking at about a grand for the two. Specifically I'm talking about the older GFA-7000 (130W x 5) and a GFA-5400 (125W x 2).

Second, is there a better option at a similar price? If any solution is much more than that, I'll just wait awhile. I am not averse to buying used at all. Just want some good clean strong power to get the most out of what I've got and what I'll have down the road.

This will be about an 80/20 HT to music split.

Can't help you with the pre/power stuff, but when I got my first Klipsch speakers, being the KG5.5's about 12 years ago, I ran an Adcom integrated for about 12 months. Can't remember the model number now, but it was about 50 watts per channel. Prior to the Adcom, I tried several amps, but each made the KG5.5's just about take my head off! Talk about harsh. After a while I found an Adcom dealer, and he lent me the little intergrated. It sounded very good. Smooth, great bass, and stacks of power. If this intergrated is anything to go by, as far as solid state is concerned, Adcom would be a good option.

I found that the 7000 (and I believe the 5400 as well) don't use MOSFETs, but rather 'bipolar' amps. But I'm not exactly sure what that means when it comes to sound quality.

In a review for the 7000, "Although Adcom uses MOSFETs in most of their other power amps, giving a more musical sound, the bipolar output device amps are more suitable for current-demanding home theater setups."

The setup will be used mostly for HT, but I want to be impressed beyond the Denon alone with music as well.

I have a GFA555 that I currently bridge mono for my SVS sub. I tested it with my Klipschorns for a few days and I really didn't like the sound. It was harsh in the highs and mids though the lows were very strong. The pre-amp I tested it with is my SS Onkyo Grand Integra P308 which is a very nice pre, at least to me. I'm sure the Adcoms would sound nice with different speakers as I have read numerous reviews touting their excellent sound and performance at a budget price, but I wouldn't use this 555 I have with any Klipsch speakers.

I used to have an Adcom 5 channel power amp (GFA-7500 I think), anyways it was a very recent model Adcom power amp. I have Klipsch KLF-20's and absolutely love them. The Adcom is DEFINITELY not a good match for Klipsch speakers. I cannot stress enough that the Adcom doesn't have what it takes to make Klipsch speakers sing. I ended up selling all my Adcom gear (cd player, preamp and amp).

I bought a Sunfire preamp and amp to replace the Adcom. Sunfire + Klipsch = LOVE IT!!! My Klipsch speakers sing! Sunfire amp pluses:

1. Price point/performance is unbeatable

2. Built quality is impecable

3. Design is awesome (love the cool running tracking down converter)

4. Has two types of outputs that are perfect for Klipsch speakers: current and voltage

Current output provides a more solid state sounding output. Voltage source provides a more tube amp sounding output. We know for a fact that Klipsch sounds better with tubes.

I didn't want tubes but I like the ability to get some of the qualities of tubes and the Sunfire amp was the solution. You will not be dissapointed!

Mike

Acurus was either acquired or turned into Aragon at some point. I've heard a lot of people who are really happy with Acurus amps. As a matter of fact there are a couple of nice ones on ebay right now. My original choice for a first outboard amp to power my RF-3IIs was an Acurus A100, but the audiogon seller i was talking to turned out to be a fraud, so I kept searching and finally pulled the trigger on a B&K ST-2020 150wpc. I've been very happy with it, so i guess you can add B&K to your list. The amp warms up the sound just a touch, which made the highs on my RF-3IIs sound more open and natural.

What did you have before the B&K? I assume the addition of the amp made a difference?

I'll check out Ebay and Audiogon for Acurus then. And I guess I've always known B&K stuff should be on the list. Never heard a bad comment about any of their products I don't think. They tend to cost a bit more though.

I have a Parasound 2205AT for the theater. It is an incredible amp, very smooth, and runs a lot cooler than the B&K. I tested the B&K 7250 for a month and it was also a very nice amp, but the Parasound has a little more balls. The B&K can be used as a space heater in the winter time though2.gif .

I was originally powering them with a Pioneer VSX-811S receiver's amp stage. After using my B&K for a while my friend pulled a trick on me and plugged the speakers back into the receiver. Going back was shocking and it was only then that I realized how much difference the outboard amp had made.