OT: CREDIT CARD CHARGE SCAM

cluless

Review your credit card charges! I just got hit with 2 bogus charges on my credit card. Evidently, people are setting up faux companies and wacking credit cards with small charges (under $15) hoping no one will notice. I got hit by SMOOTHERCOMPUTE (7.95 Pounds Sterling = $14.85) and WP-COMPUSAVE ($12.95) on this month's statement.

Click here fore more info

I just got my CC bill and had a charge of $201.70 for a box of LPs I sent to another forum member. The declared value was $10.00!!! I called FedEx who re-evaluated the charge and had it dropped to $49. Still much higher than I expected but much better than $201.70!!!!!!! How often do you think they overcharge and people or companies don't catch it?14.gif

From the "things you thought only happened in commercials" department -- my credit card company called ME to alert me to apparently fraudulent activity. Someone ran a charge of about $27 and immediately backed it out. The next day they attempted a $2800 cash advance. The CC company declined it and gave me a call. I have a new card now, of course. It's good to know that at least some of the anti-fraud measures are working.

----------------

Since some people DO check their credit card statements. The ones that found the charge, decided to make lists of what their cards were used for 30 days prior to this unauthorized charge and cross reference them.

The three companies that alarmed me as coming up the most were:

Paypal.com

Amazon.com

and Buy.com

----------------

They have graduated to Credit Card fraud... as I've seen this quite a few years ago aimed at corporations.

You'd receive a bill for an ambiguous service from a company with a "commun" name and they'd be in the 20$ range. Most account depts won't double check these small amount and simply send the cheque out. We've received these at work but our bookeeper isn't overly trusting on any ambiguous service.

I'll keep my eyes on my CC expenses, as I have used two of the three companies mentioned.

Rob

I checked my electronic statements all the way back to the beginning of the year, and fortunatly, nothing unusal. The one I am concerned about is my Visa check-card, since that one get alot of use (i.e., buy gas at the pump). However, since I make heavy use of the online banking feature of my credit union, I am always looking at the statement, so if I see anything unusual, I'll pick it up immediatly. If something like this appears on my Capital One credit card or even my Discover card, it would immediatly stick out, since I haven't used my Capital One in several years, and the few times I used my Discover, I always paid it off every month.

Yeah, that is f'd up when some outfit(s)/individual(s) can start randomly posting charges to people's credit cards. For every one that is caught, I wonder how many has been overlooked. Not to mention, all those back-charges has to be costing the credit-card companies and banks money, thus resulting in higher interestes/fees on the credit and services, and lower interests on savings/money-market accounts, etc.