OT.... Best Cell Phone companies?

Joe Shmoe

Just wanted to get anyones input on which of the companies may be better than another, and if there are any to stay away from? I myself have Verizon and am fine with that but I am just doin MOM a favor to try and dig up some info:) She is thinking of Sprint PCS....

I like Verizon best. I've had AT&T and Sprint, and Verizon's service and CUSTOMER service are the best. The only problem is that they charge alot of $ for minimal minutes and skimpy plans, plus there's no rollover, like Cingular has. But I think they feel their coverage is so superior that it's worth the extra money.

Consumer Reports has two articles in the last two years on which had the best service IN 12 METRO AREAS and which phone was the best deal

sister has Metro (you buy the phone) not any cheaper, drops alot, but she can talk anytime as long as she wants!

FWIW, I have had Cingular for the past 8 years and my only complaint is that my cell phone bill is supposed to come in every month with my home phone/dsl bill, if Cingular is late posting it, my phone bill is about $50 less than normal. No big deal, I just pay my normal amount and pay any difference the next month. This has only happened 3 times in the past 20 months. A few of my friends have Sprint and like it. One suggestion, make sure that the propective provider has good coverage where she lives and anyplace she travels regularly. And make sure somebody shows her how to use her phone - programming the phone, getting voicemail, voice activated dialing if she still drives all that sort of stuff.

Paul

----------------

On 8/23/2004 6:49:47 PM Joe Shmoe wrote:

Just wanted to get anyones input on which of the companies may be better than another, and if there are any to stay away from? I myself have Verizon and am fine with that but I am just doin MOM a favor to try and dig up some info:) She is thinking of Sprint PCS....

----------------

I have Verizon myself, and it has been excellent! I'll often get service/coverage in areas that several of my friends on various different services could not.

The post above this one puts it best. Get the service that provides the most reliable coverage (in my case, it seems to be Verizon).

It depends on how much she's going to use it and how far away from home she'll be but I have a Tracfone and it has a fairly large local calling area but also has nationwide long distance. I use about 40 minutes every 2 months and it cost me $18.00 for a 40 minute card, $9 bucks a month ain't bad. Mine uses Alltel for a carrier and coverage is great.

Grateful