What's a Good Deal for RB-75's?

Darren

I'm looking for a pair of bookshelf speakers for a second system (just audio, no movies). I like the RF-7's so much, my first thought is the RB-75's. There's only on distributer in the region, and he's quoted $895 for a pair (out the door, after "discount", no tax). I've never priced them before, is this a decent price?

Also, for a second system, are the RB-75's overkill? Do the RB-35's stand up pretty well? Will be driving them (for now) with a Yamaha DSP-A1 integrated amp.

Thanks

Darren,

Looking at the Goodguy site. retail for the RB75's is 1,200.00 -so 895 + tax is a good deal. Specs are Frequency Response: 42Hz-20kHz±3dB

Sensitivity: 97dB @ 2.83 volts/1 meter

Power Handling: 150 watts maximum continuous (600 watts peak)

The RB 35's retail for 600 a pair with specs of 45-20 khz, 96 db sensitivity and 125 watts...........

I say if you can afford it go with the RB 75's.......not overkill, and look like a good bargin to boot! Pictures please!

Darren:

That is a good price on RB-75s, and ironically, what I paid for mine from a local dealer. If you can, I would definitely go with the RB-75s since you are focusing on music with your secondary system. They are a very musical speaker, and the larger horn is very, very similar to the one found in the RF-7 and RC-7. In my opinion, the difference between the RB-35 and RB-75 is similar to the step up with their bigger brothers (RF-35 to RF-7).

Carl.

Thanks to all. Always feel better when you know a little more about the market. I haven't heard the RB-75's, and I may get them without even listening - a cardinal sin in audio I know but I have to drive 4.5 hours to the dealer and pretty much would be going to buy them. I'm so happy with the RF, RC and RS 7's, I have to believe the RB-75's would be impressive.

Guess I should ask - anyone impressed with any other bookselves? I've heard the Mission V62s - sounded nice, but didn't blow me away. Since these will be just for audio, I guess I should post this question to that forum as well.

Thanks again - will let you know when I make a buy.

I've heard the 75 recently and was impressed (though not overwelmed to trade my Heresies in!).

If you like the sound of your 7s - and especially the "big" compression driver - I strongly recommend you to stay in line and get the 75.

I cannot imagime any Mission, B&W, Dynaudio or whatever in this price and size range can keep up with them.

Agreed, the next step up from the RB-75's is something in the Heritage line - high praise indeed. These are an absolute bargin for the sound quality they deliver, I can't imagine any of the European manufacturers coming close to the musicality of these speakers. You could buy these sight (and sound) unseen and be assured they will take pride of place in any system.

----------------

On 8/24/2004 9:24:58 AM cjgeraci wrote:

Darren:

That is a good price on RB-75s, and ironically, what I paid for mine from a local dealer. If you can, I would definitely go with the RB-75s since you are focusing on music with your secondary system. They are a very musical speaker, and
the larger horn is very, very similar to the one found in the RF-7 and RC-7
. In my opinion, the difference between the RB-35 and RB-75 is similar to the step up with their bigger brothers (RF-35 to RF-7).

Carl.
----------------

Carl-I have been under the impression (from memory only) that the RB-75s are basically the top half (or so) of the RF-7 and that the horn is identical. In any event, they are a wonderful sounding speaker.

There is also an article on the home page under the advertising section (and also posted by artto in the 2-channel forum) that compares the RB-75s to Bose, MartinLogan, B&W and one other brand (Athena?). It's a review by Lou Reed...

David

David:

Actually, for some reason, the 1.75 inch compression driver in the RB-75 is a different model compression driver (K-50.1-DB) than used in the RF-7 and RC-7 (both K-67-DVs). I seem to recall from the old website here that the driver used in the RB-75 had a smaller sized magnet, even though both were 1.75 inch compression drivers. Size constraints of the cabinet? Or an updated horn design? Maybe our moderators can jump in here and explain the difference?

That being said, in my experience, the RB-75s still voice match the drivers used in the RF-7 and RC-7. And of course, I agree that it is a very nice sounding speaker.

Carl.