Pioneer SX-1980

Flason

Would love to have a SX-1980 to add to my vintage receiver collection its a monster. A nice one will bring big bucks like $1000 or more THATS WHY I AINT GOT ONE DANG THE BAD LUCK.Do you know were one is and are you going to get it? I never heard A sx-1980 myself but have heard its younger brothers the SX-780 and SX-980 and they sounded nice not quite as well as tubes but I am not going to bring that up LOL. Pioneer also made a SX-1280 I think it put out about 185 WPC.

My buddy was selling one of these monsters about a year ago. Mint condition. Ended up selling it for $900 but I've seen them go for more on ebay. It was Pioneer's last great SS receiver and sort of the end of that era before LEDs and cheaper parts hit the big companies. I still have my Kenwood KR-9600 which is also a beast. Not quite as big and powerful as the 1980 but close enough.

BTW - It's a great sounding receiver and looks really cool too.10.gif

----------------

On 8/24/2004 10:23:11 PM Piranha wrote:

I have an SX-1280. It's a nice receiver but pretty bright on Heritage IMO.

----------------

The 1980 is head over heals better then the lower model pioneers. Pretty soft, warm sound for a SS monstrosity.

They are very similar receivers. I have heard an SX 1980 on Cornwalls and it sounded rather bright IMO. I am curious, have you had an opportunity to listen to either a 1980 or 1280 on Heritage?

Don't get me wrong here. I think the SX 1980 is a fine receiever. But I just don't believe it's a very good match for Heritage. JMHO 9.gif

----------------

On 8/25/2004 12:15:34 AM Piranha wrote:

They are very similar receivers. I have heard an SX 1980 on Cornwalls and it sounded rather bright IMO. I am curious, have you had an opportunity to listen to either a 1980 or 1280 on Heritage?

Don't get me wrong here. I think the SX 1980 is a fine receiever. But I just don't believe it's a very good match for Heritage. JMHO
"<a
http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/images/smilies/9.gif">

----------------

I did audition the 1980 with my cornwalls and thought it sounded good. Wasn't too bright IMO. Don't get me wrong though. I do like my scott better but I thought it was a really nice sounding receiver. Plenty of headroom too.3.gif

----------------

On 8/25/2004 8:37:09 AM garymd wrote:

----------------

On 8/25/2004 12:15:34 AM Piranha wrote:

Don't get me wrong here. I think the SX 1980 is a fine receiever. But I just don't believe it's a very good match for Heritage. JMHO
9.gif"

----------------

I did audition the 1980 with my cornwalls and thought it sounded good. Wasn't too bright IMO. Don't get me wrong though. I do like my scott better but I thought it was a really nice sounding receiver. Plenty of headroom too.
3.gif

----------------

No argument there. The Pioneer SX line of receivers, and especially the 1980 do sound very, very good. I always thought they were a perfect match for my CW's. Then I heard a nice tube amp. 2.gif

I guess the point I was trying to make is the Pioneer SX 1980 sounds brighter than a nice tube amp. OMHO however.9.gif

----------------

On 8/25/2004 11:31:05 AM tubelover wrote:

My SX-1980 is 185WPC. It sounds very good. Just not as good as the tube amps that I had or listned to on Heritage.

----------------

I thought all the 1980's were 270 wpc Ms. Tubelover.13.gif Check your manual. BTW, you must have a lot of amps!

I've used both the sx1280 and the sx1980 on 1979 cornwalls. I liked the sound. They're both extreme overkill with khorns or cornwalls. They went off to ebay.

I miss my beastly marantz 2330 the most. That sounded fantastic on the CWs!

• 6 years later...
"What this country needs is a good 5 watt amplifier" - Paul W. Klipsch

I have had several speakers hooked up to a Marantz-2330 and nothing sounds as nice as the Klipsch line -- even the Heresy II's, which absolutely blew the away the (much more expensive) Bose-901's in an A/B comparison. The Bose 901 comparison was so dramatic, that I think everyone present now regards the entire BOSE line as "Sham Wow" audio ( ... come to think of it, Bose is doing a lot of TV info-mercials these days ... ).