Klipschorn and Sony>

jbudge

Thanks for the "assortment" of opinions. I think I found out what I needed (no to a Sony amp, maybe to the SACD, definitely to a digital camera 2.gif)

The KHorns I found are 1980s with the AA crossover, so now I am learning and in search of tubes! Should be an adventure!

Anybody got any thoughts on the Quicksilver Audio monoblocks? I may have stmbled across a deal on a pair..

----------------

On 9/2/2004 9:11:23 PM jbudge wrote:

Thanks for the "assortment" of opinions. I think I found out what I needed (no to a Sony amp, maybe to the SACD, definitely to a digital camera
2.gif
)

The KHorns I found are 1980s with the AA crossover, so now I am learning and in search of tubes! Should be an adventure!

Anybody got any thoughts on the Quicksilver Audio monoblocks? I may have stmbled across a deal on a pair..

----------------

Yeah:

being tubed, it HAS to be great!

being expensive (at least, when new) it HAS to be great!

being of non-asian manufacture, it HAS to be great!

so sure, jump all over it! it's GREAT!!!11.gif2.gif1.gif

----------------

Thanks for the "assortment" of opinions. I think I found out what I needed (no to a Sony amp, maybe to the SACD, definitely to a digital camera
2.gif
)

----------------

You might want to email smilin. He has owned the quicksilver kt 88 monos.

I'd dare say one of the reasons some folks prefer horns with tubes is because they (tubes) produce LESS detail, which tends to soften the in-your-face presentation horns can exhibit with solid state.

...must be poor implementation of tubes or a unit in need of rebuild

After all, ss will almost always have lower noise levels and lower distortion.

....not true! many SS amps have higher distortion at low watts comapred to tubes or digital amps LEOK has done more evaluations than most people in this area

As to the soundstage issue, I don't really see how either ss or tubes would have an advantage there simply because of the output devices. After all, amplifiers are just supposed to amplify; make the signal bigger. Anything beyond that is noise or distortion.

....your HT receiver is preventing you from understanding soundstage; too much jitter

Look around on audiogon.com in the tube integrated section http://buy.audiogon.com/cgia/fsb.pl?intatube there are always great deals listed. I usually find something that looks quality and then research here and audioasylum http://www.audioasylum.com/index.html before purchasing. I tend to trust the people that own the equipment to those selling/reviewing the equipment.

imho

seti

----------------

On 9/7/2004 9:56:34 AM Audio Flynn wrote:

<< many SS amps have higher distortion at low watts comapred to tubes or digital amps LEOK has done more evaluations than most people in this area >>

Horse hockey! Compared to the distortion level in most tubed amps, especially approaching their meager power limits, the low-level distortion in ss is meaningless. Inaudible!

<<....your HT receiver is preventing you from understanding soundstage; too much jitter>>

More horse hockey. I use a firewire digital link between receiver and player, which according to Pioneer, is jitter-free with all formats. I don't think that is just ad hype, but who knows? I have not seen it refuted, though.

G'day mate!

1.gif

FIREWIRE is a reasonable interconnect method; but it is what happens on each end.

Integrated Circuits cause jitter

In DVD players

-video conversion

-display

-audio conversion

In HT receivers

-audio conversion

-display

-multi channel sound processing

-maybe even video switching (which is certainly a source of EMI distortion)

----------------

----------------

You might want to email smilin. He has owned the quicksilver kt 88 monos.

----------------

Quicksilvers are nice. Mike Sanders (Quicksilver owner) has used Khorns for 20+ years. He has also worked closely with Klipsch over the years (see book PWK biography). Thumbs up from me.