OT -- The Physics of the Lightsaber

Jabez Scratch

If I have a lightsaber, and it is turned off, and I hold it so that it is about six inches away from a wall constructed of some substance that the light beam (i.e., the blade) from the saber cannot penetrate, then I turn on the lightsaber, what will happen? Does the blade only extend six inches? Does the blade warp and bend back at me, impaling me? Or does the energry of the blade "double-back" and overload the saber itself, blowing it up or maybe triggering some sort of circuit breaker, shutting down the saber?

----------------

On 8/26/2004 9:02:34 AM Maron Horonzak wrote:

Nothing happens. If it had that mutch energy you could not hold it.

----------------

Perhaps, but wouldn't that happen every time I turned it on? And maybe the lightsaber generates some non-visible light (like x-rays) that does penetrate the wall. But let's assume that none of the saber's light can penetrate. In physics, doesn't light bend easily? So, wouldn't the blade warp against the wall? This assumes that the blade is always the same length no matter what.

I think that the unbelieveable power of the force would be released by the exploding light saber and this would in-turn create an enormous black hole with the sucking strength comparable to 1 billion kirby vaccuum cleaners! This would then engulf the entire planet and life as we know it would cease to exist!!! just my 2 cents. 9.gif

Nothing happens - the light saber can only power up within the energy calculations that make up the boundaries - which include length. As soon as you point the saber in a direction that allows the beams to consolidate the saber will be activated.

When activated the saber more resembles a solid blade. While the ability to penetrate many more materials with less effort than a solid blade, there are still limitations to what the blade can penetrate. The blade bounces off most dense solid objects. For this reason the saber is only effective as a close personal combat weapon.

Obi Wan

----------------

On 8/26/2004 1:34:30 PM hwatkins wrote:

Nothing happens - the light saber can only power up within the energy calculations that make up the boundaries - which include length. As soon as you point the saber in a direction that allows the beams to consolidate the saber will be activated.

When activated the saber more resembles a solid blade. While the ability to penetrate many more materials with less effort than a solid blade, there are still limitations to what the blade can penetrate. The blade bounces off most dense solid objects. For this reason the saber is only effective as a close personal combat weapon.

Obi Wan

----------------

Obi Wan,

Acurate and useful info. Yoda would be proud. You bring honor to the Federation.

Young Neo,

Such rude comments as demonstrated in your post do nothing to endure yourself to the board.

----------------

On 8/26/2004 5:27:05 PM hwatkins wrote:

----------------

On 8/26/2004 3:36:58 PM Royster wrote:

Obi Wan,

Acurate and useful info. Yoda would be proud. You bring honor to the Federation.
----------------

I am honored by your praise.

It is so darn hard to see clearly through this mask....

----------------

I am not your father. 2.gif

----------------

On 8/26/2004 1:24:13 PM Olorin wrote:

What do you suppose can keep a light saber from penetrating it?

----------------

I'm not sure what kind of material could withstand the energy of a light saber, but I assume some sort strong, low-density metallic element, like titanium. Even Superman was susceptible to something, i.e., Kryptonite, so, presumably, a light saber must have some natural or synthetic element into which it cannot cut.

Light Sabers obviously can't cut through other light sabers. I always thought they burned through stuff kind of like a mega-blowtorch, rather than "cut". So the only solid thing I cannot imagine it cutting trough is like, super asbestos. I wonder if the Storm Troopers ever gave a lot of though to this? They shoud. Their life expectancey is still a lot better with the hanging spectre of Lung Cancer rather than the Young Skywalker's lethal beam.

I wonder if Light Sabres work underwater?

More interesting is how they get such immense energy out of somthing the size of a flashlight. 35 years after Star Trek we have Personal Computers far smaller than Tri-Corders, I wonder if we'll have light sabres in 2011 or 2012?

By the Jetson's time line, we should by all rights be driving flying cars.

I'm not sure what kind of material could withstand the energy of a light saber, but I assume some sort strong, low-density metallic element, like titanium. Even Superman was susceptible to something, i.e., Kryptonite, so, presumably, a light saber must have some natural or synthetic element into which it cannot cut.

----------------