tail piece seals

lbamba

Here is one that shows several different methodologies. I have a concrete kneewall with a shelf as you can see and baseboard heat. The methods for sealing used are 1; foam pipe insulation. this is all you need if you have reasonably square corners although I feel it is best to 2; place a strip of foam between the top of the base bin and the wall to form a seal for the bass and a seperation of the bass from the mids.

For the problem of the baseboard heat I made that ethrafoam block you see behind the tailboard effectively sealing the horn to the corner.

corner2.jpg

Other methods are to use heavy carpet runner stapled to the tailboard and pushing the assembly home into the corner. I have not used that method since I moved into this house 16 years ago. It did work well in my previous house.

Hope this helped.

post-12829-13819257693536_thumb.jpg

There are alot of tailboard seal ideas on this forum,,,dont forget to seal the top horz. part of the bass bin to the wall .. also if on hard surface floor get some grippers from wal-mart for the bottom. I think some kind of flexable rubber like base board moulding or garage door seal would work good,,,i got K-Horn project going now..alot of work to go before i have to think about seal though..just some ideas for you to try,,,take a walk through home depot and think outside the box looking at different stuff you may find something better...Rick

I would work on the listening environment before I worried about doing this mod. Why muck up a perfectly good set of horns if you don't have to? Foam-rubber sealant (like door seals, etc.) eventually rots and will muck up the finish as well as your walls.

DM2.gif

DMAN this is not a mod, the Khorn came with or should have tail board seals intact in order to get a tight corner seal. It is the equivalent to the material used to seal the door in your automobile, it slips over the edge of the tailboard on either side. The kits are available from Klipsch for about $30 apiece. I got cheap and bought some 1/2" pipe insulation the kind that has a split in it in 6' lengths, I worked it along the lip of the tailboard on either side from top to bottom. It stays in place without having to staple it, it helped ensure a good seal since I can't get mine all the way into the corner due to the baseboard heater registers. All newer Khorn's ship with the tailboard seals intact or included with the packing.

Dman said.

I would work on the listening environment before I worried about doing this mod. Why muck up a perfectly good set of horns if you don't have to? Foam-rubber sealant (like door seals, etc.) eventually rots and will muck up the finish as well as your walls.

No way this pipe insulation will rot. This is a must do for k-horns to get the most posible bass out of them they need to be sealed to the walls it makes a difference believe me. I used the 3/8 inch pipe insulation its a brease to install no glue needed or any nails or staples.

Far be it from me to fail to adapt to better things, but I worry about the foam rubber out-gassing oils and other petroleum based-derivitives onto the walls and/or discoloring furniture finishes...

I know that this stuff dries out eventually and has to be replaced. And that means stuff is coming out of it.

How long have you had your foam on and checked the walls, etc.? Is this a valid concern or am I all wet?

DM2.gif

They are called Tail Board gaskets and you can order them from the Klipsch parts department.

Both of my pairs have them, and they fit and work very well. They are missing from a lot of the used speakers on the market. I don't understand why anyone would take them off, but it happens. They are of the highest quality and don't leave marks and nor rot.

A good corner seal helps the output of the basshorn from 200 to 400 Hz.