K-Horn project

ricktate

Both pics are a k-horn section,,,,one beore i stripped the bad white paint off and the other one is what it looks like at this point,,,,right now im filling in the chips and such,i hope to veneer the base section soon,,,,,going pretty good so far...thanks for the better comments,,,Rick,,,i didnt post what they were at the time cause this is first time i ever put a picture up and had just got home from work 1AM

• 2 weeks later...

----------------

On 9/17/2004 2:17:05 PM D-MAN wrote:

It looks like it might be less work to veneer it fresh with the wood of your choice instead of all that sanding and refinishing work.

----------------

Given the chips on the bottom edge of that plywood... I don't see many other choices. Like you say, it also gives an opportunity of going with a custom veneer.

What type of wood would interest you guys if you were buying custom veneered Khorns?

Ricktate: Have you checked out greg928s4 's Re-veneered Rosewood Klipschorns ? ... the possibilities are endless.

Later...

Rob

----------------

On 9/17/2004 3:31:51 PM formica wrote:

What type of wood would interest you guys if you were buying custom veneered Khorns?

----------------

This very same question came up for me very recently, and I had to make a decision as to what veneer to use.

I lean towards the "red-ish" coloration with a pronounced grain figure, so of course, the Rosewoods with a wine-red stain would tickle me pink! So would Cherry or even a nice Maple with cherry stain...

My next set is going to be cherry wood with 2-part red stain. I'll post pics when ready.

DM2.gif

----------------

On 9/17/2004 4:02:02 PM D-MAN wrote:

My next set is going to be cherry wood with 2-part red stain. I'll post pics when ready.

----------------

Next set? How did you finish your existing horns finally?

I've seen progress pics of your DIY Khorns in the rough plywood finish... but I seem to have missed your completed ones... if you got around to posting some.2.gif

My previous heritage projects have all been refinishing the existing wood, but I'm hoping on re-veneering my next pair, depending on their wood.

Rob

Rob, I haven't finished off the first set (the UGLY ones) yet, these are the NEXT set, which is a different design. Thought I'd wait to decide what to do with the original prototypes until I can compare the performance of the "new" design against them. Besides, I know a 17 year old kid that wants them pretty bad as they are...

Also, I only have the room for one pair. And the best performing pair wins...I am betting on the "new" design to be better all around, simpler to build, slightly smaller, and prettier to boot!

The part I learned is that in order to get "rid" of them easily, they gotta be pretty, so this new pair is going to be pretty right off the bat! Just in case, either way!

DM2.gif

Rick, I think you're doing just the right thing. Get down to bare wood, repair any edges that are not square, fill in chips, etc... Then reveneer.

The easier veneer to install is NBL backed veneer from www.tapeease.com

But the prep work is the most important part. Don't rush it, or you'll feel bad about it later.

Greg

Thanks Greg and others,,,they are comming along,,,chips and scratches filled in,,,Greg that wood filler you told me about is great.Im painting the back sides with gloss enamel and i sealed the woofer compartment up with glue and silicone.I will have more pics soon, ok.Bass bins almost ready to veneer im afraid the top horn section will take alot more time though...well thanks for your support guys Rick..ps for being 32 years old these are very solid and good condition just need some loving care,,,lol

I'm wondering what you paid for them? Seems like a lot of work and expensive. I've seen nice Klipschorns sell for 1500.00 on Ebay. I stole mine for 450.00. The only catch is that I had to drive 5 hours to get them. You need to be patient and look for auctions that have ended with local pickup only and then make an offer. You might want to look into veneer with adhesive backing. If you've never veneered before you will be in for a rude awakening. It's easy to get bubbling with the traditional paper backed veneer and contact cement is a messy ***** to work with. Another alternative is to buy 1/8 or 1/4" veneered ply and glue it to your cabinets. You can miter the edges or use solid wood to hide the rough edges. If you have your heart set on veneer then practice on some scrap wood. HD sells oak veneer cheap so you can always practice with that.

Well i paid 1000.00 for these but i have tried the e-bay thing,,,most went through the roof then when you add on shipping forget it. I got these cause i could go see them make sure i was not getting ripped off,,,they are not in bad shape really just need some care.I will be veneering them..i was bummed out at first about the redoing of them but now i think its more like im saving them and making them into B models to. So in the long run i may end up with something i could have never afforded anyway and my kids will know when they get them that dad redid them inside and out.Thanks for the help from all..more pics soon,,,i got film camera so have to get film to digital then post on here,,,,Rick1.gif