American Pie? Too easy.... try this...

Ray Garrison

Reading through the American Pie thread made me think of another song that, I think, is even more obtuse. Following are the lyrics to Springsteen's "Blinded by the Light." Anyone want to comment on what they think any of this means? Feel free to cut and paste and annotate a reply...

Madman drummers bummers and Indians in the summer with a teenage diplomat

In the dumps with the mumps as the adolescent pumps his way into his hat

With a boulder on my shoulder feelin' kinda older I tripped the merry-go-round

With this very unpleasing sneezing and wheezing the calliope crashed to the ground

Some all-hot half-shot was headin' for the hot spot snappin' his fingers clappin' his hands

And some fleshpot mascot was tied into a lover's knot with a whatnot in her hand

And now young Scott with a slingshot finally found a tender spot and throws his lover in the sand

And some bloodshot forget-me-not whispers daddy's within earshot save the buckshot turn up the band

And she was blinded by the light

Cut loose like a deuce another runner in the night

Blinded by the light, she got down but she never got tight, but she'll make it alright

Some brimstone baritone anti-cyclone rolling stone preacher from the east

He says: "Dethrone the dictaphone, hit it in its funny bone, that's where they expect it least"

And some new-mown chaperone was standin' in the corner all alone watchin' the young girls dance

And some fresh-sown moonstone was messin' with his frozen zone to remind him of the feeling of romance

Yeah he was blinded by the light

Blinded by the light

He got down but she never got tight, but he's gonna make it tonight

Some silicone sister with her manager's mister told me I got what it takes

She said I'll turn you on sonny, to something strong if you play that song with the funky break,

And go-cart Mozart was checkin' out the weather chart to see if it was safe to go outside

And little Early-Pearly came in by her curly-wurly and asked me if I needed a ride,

Oh, some hazard from Harvard was skunked on beer playin' backyard bombardier

Yes and Scotland Yard was trying hard, they sent a dude with a calling card,

he said, do what you like, but don't do it here

Well I jumped up, turnedaround, spit in the air, fell on the ground

Asked him which was the way back home

He said take a right at the light, keep goin' straight until night, and then boy, you're on your own

And now in Zanzibar a shootin' star was ridin' in a side car hummin' a lunar tune

Yes, and the avatar said blow the bar but first remove the cookie jar we're gonna teach those boys to laugh too soon

And some kidnapped handicap was complainin' that he caught the clap from some mousetrap he bought last night,

Well I unsnapped his skull cap and between his ears I saw

a gap but figured he'd be all right

He was just blinded by the light

Blinded by the light

Mama always told me not to look into the sights of the sun

Oh but mama that's where the fun is

I have never been able to figure this one out... for some reason, I had the notion for years that it was telling about a string of unusual characters from Atlantic City or other parts of the Jersey shore - sort of the con-man grifter type - all dressed up with metaphoric or colorful verbiage. But after reading through the lyrics for the first time in 10 or 15 years, I have to admit that I really just have no idea.

Oh, and in a rare incident of liking the cover version better than the original, I have to state that the Manfredd Mann version (longer, not the bastardized single version) wins out over The Boss's.

BTW, if you quoted all of that from memory, consider me amazed... I did American Pie without looking, but its lyrics are a little more conventional (and easier to understand from the respective performers).

I have to agree with Chuck here, the original all the way. What a classic song. Still gives me goose bumps to this day and I have no clue what the song is about. I just love the music.

Ok I've read it. I have absolutly no clue. Some 70's acid trip?

*EDIT*

I just read someting about this on the net that I did not know. Apparently the song was originally written by Bruce Springsteen. If that's true, then bruce has 1 song I like and the 1 song is not even his version.

I guess I`m showing my age here but I prefer the writer`s version of the song over Manford`s even though they did a hell of a job covering it.

I`ve got a bootleg from the `70`s of Bruce and his band doing this live on a radio show and he just laughs through the whole thing. I always got the impression he knows everybody in that song.

And by the way, it`s from his very first album. The record promoters were selling him as the next Bob Dylan. He loved Dylan but really did not like that comparison.

If any of you that for the most part do not like Bruce have never heard his first couple of albums, they contain some of his best work. As you can tell, he`s one of my all time favorites.

----------------

On 9/5/2004 1:09:32 AM middlecreekguy wrote:

If any of you that for the most part do not like Bruce have never heard his first couple of albums, they contain some of his best work. As you can tell, he`s one of my all time favorites.

----------------

This is the surprise: I consider Springsteen to be one of the most prolific artists of our time, and own all of his major releases (I haven't cared much for his last 3 or 4); but the Manfredd Mann BBTL wins out with me. I love how all the verses receive a complete run-through with the chorus repeats at the end...

No, Ray does not have any idea. Just to give you an idea of what some intelligent people think of the denseness of Springsteen's prose, allow me to quote from a John Marks article in the Stereophile archives...

"However, if you are totally new to Springsteen or know only his more recent work, in my opinion the best place to start is with his first three records: Greetings from Asbury Park, N.J.; The Wild, the Innocent and the E Street Shuffle; and Born to Run (which includes "Thunder Road"). You can probably pick up the CDs used for not much, and the vinyl for not much at all. The vinyl sounds richer than the digital transfers.

In "Thunder Road," after first imploring Mary, the girl on the porch, to "Show a little faith, there's magic in the night," Springsteen's character tells her:

You can hide 'neath your covers

And study your pain

Make crosses from your lovers

Throw roses in the rain

Waste your summer praying in vain

For a savior to rise from these streets

Well now I'm no hero

That's understood

All the redemption I can offer, girl

Is beneath this dirty hood

This is remarkably dense and multilayered writing for a rock song. "Oooh, baby, baby" it is not. In a few lines, at least to my ears, Springsteen alludes to Saints Thérèse of Liseux, John of the Cross, Teresa of Ávila, and Francis of Assisi, while confronting the eternally vexing problem of the relationship (or disconnect) between human intimacy and divine transcendence.

Perhaps the writing is a bit overwrought. But then again, some people do experience moments when whether or not the person whom they desire can make a reciprocal gesture to bridge the space between them seems more than a matter of mere life and death; it is a matter of eternal destiny.

It should not then be too much of a shock to discover that another song on the Springsteen video anthology is entitled "Leap of Faith." Quick, name another rock song that owes its title to Danish theologian and philosopher Søren Kierkegaard (1813-1855) (footnote 4).

Kierkegaard's notion of a "leap of faith" was more than the idea that the transcendent was not accessible to human reasonthat you could not get from here to the ultimate "there" by taking one logical step at a time. There were at least two other important components. First, the state from which one was leaping was the state of anxiety that comes from the limitless possibilities inherent in human freedom. Second, leaving behind the anxiety can be accomplished only by leaping: one has at least temporarily to lose contact with one's groundings, and leave one's previous state completely behind. Faith invites, but itself requires an act of faith to accept the invitation.

For these and many other reasons, Kierkegaard is often regarded as the originator of modern psychology. Some even credit him as the forerunner of all modern thoughtnot only philosophical existentialism, but modern physics as well. In his magisterial book The Making of the Atomic Bomb, Richard Rhodes puts forward a compelling case that Kierkegaard's thought had a decisive impact on Niels Bohr's contributions to the development of quantum physics.

Am I supposing that Bruce Springsteen sits around his farmhouse and pages through nearly impenetrable theological speculation by a neurotic 19th-century Dane? Don't be absurd. I am not. But Kierkegaard did focus his attention, as few thinkers yet had, on the philosophical implications of the gritty particularity of daily modern life (what Kierkegaard called "everydayness"). Kierkegaard was the first to put his finger on the pervasiveness of anxiety and dread in modern life. And Bruce Springsteen did say this: "When I started in music, I thought, 'My job is pretty simple. I search for the human things in myself, and I turn them into notes and words, and then in some fashion, I help people hold on to their own humanity." The characters in Springsteen's songs are aware of their failings, yet they continue to seek redemption, despite the fact that at times their quest seems doomed to fail. At least they take a stand. "

Excellent posts Ray and of course, I join with you in expressing total confusion and lack of understandng of his lyrics on this song. Some lines like "blinded by light" seem to snap into foucs for me and some are just wierd, too obscure, or the result of a man's mind seemingly hooking up words with thoughts, feelings in an almost random order.

One of the things I like most about some of the rock that grew up in the 60's and 70's is the transformation taking the musician from a singer to a poet.

Springstein could be described as a poet of and for the working man. Plus he's a hell of a rocker.

Another poet/singer that I really like is Leonard Cohen a gravelly voiced bard whose writings invoke beauty at almost every turn, religous musings, harsh and soft charechterisations of persons and of course, lots and lots of sex.

If you are into lyrics the best of these folks evoke politics, social issues, meanings of life, the beauty that surronds us, the dark side of our souls and the emotional aspects of love and life. Much better then your tired old love songs which seems to be the grist for the mill of almost all of music of any genre.

Thebes,

I *LOVE* Leonard Cohen!!! One of the truly transcendental experiences I've had was being in the Grotto in New Haven quite a few years back, and I heard two "What the Hell was THAT????!!!!" songs one right after the other. The first was Sinead O'Conner's "Jackie", then followed Leonard singing this...

"Everybody knows that the dice are loaded

Everybody rolls with their fingers crossed

Everybody knows that the war is over

Everybody knows the good guys lost

Everybody knows the fight was fixed

The poor stay poor, the rich get rich

Thats how it goes

Everybody knows

Everybody knows that the boat is leaking

Everybody knows that the captain lied

Everybody got this broken feeling

Like their father or their dog just died

Everybody talking to their pockets

Everybody wants a box of chocolates

And a long stem rose

Everybody knows

Everybody knows that you love me baby

Everybody knows that you really do

Everybody knows that youve been faithful

Ah give or take a night or two

Everybody knows youve been discreet

But there were so many people you just had to meet

Without your clothes

And everybody knows

Everybody knows, everybody knows

Thats how it goes

Everybody knows

Thats how it goes

Everybody knows

And everybody knows that its now or never

Everybody knows that its me or you

And everybody knows that you live forever

Ah when youve done a line or two

Everybody knows the deal is rotten

Old black joes still pickin cotton

For your ribbons and bows

And everybody knows

And everybody knows that the plague is coming

Everybody knows that its moving fast

Everybody knows that the naked man and woman

Are just a shining artifact of the past

Everybody knows the scene is dead

But theres gonna be a meter on your bed

That will disclose

What everybody knows

And everybody knows that youre in trouble

Everybody knows what youve been through

From the bloody cross on top of calvary

To the beach of malibu

Everybody knows its coming apart

Take one last look at this sacred heart

Before it blows

And everybody knows

Thats how it goes

Everybody knows

Oh everybody knows, everybody knows

Thats how it goes

Everybody knows

Everybody knows"

I love that song. I thnk he actually wrote it for Jonette Nopolitano, the lead singer of Concrete Blonde. You should also hear Don Henley's version of it.

Check out my comments in this weeks Memeber Music Recommendations thread down in Entertainment/DVD Music

Ray, thats a great Leonard Cohen song! The Mandolin string sound is actually an Oud.

Or how about Im your Man? My girlfriend at the time that song came out, really liked it.

9.gif

If you want a lover

Ill do anything you ask me to

And if you want another kind of love

Ill wear a mask for you

If you want a partner

Take my hand

Or if you want to strike me down in anger

Here I stand

Im your man

If you want a boxer

I will step into the ring for you

And if you want a doctor

Ill examine every inch of you

If you want a driver

Climb inside

Or if you want to take me for a ride

You know you can

Im your man

Ah, the moons too bright

The chains too tight

The beast wont go to sleep

Ive been running through these promises to you

That I made and I could not keep

Ah but a man never got a woman back

Not by begging on his knees

Or Id crawl to you baby

And Id fall at your feet

And Id howl at your beauty

Like a dog in heat

And Id claw at your heart

And Id tear at your sheet

Id say please, please

Im your man

And if youve got to sleep

A moment on the road

I will steer for you

And if you want to work the street alone

Ill disappear for you

If you want a father for your child

Or only want to walk with me a while

Across the sand

Im your man

If you want a lover

Ill do anything you ask me to

And if you want another kind of love

Ill wear a mask for you

RE the Henley version, it's pretty cool not only because he does a great cover of it, but also because it's an uncredited 13th song on the Actual Miles album. It's not listed on the liner notes, on the packaging, Cohen is not mentioned anywhere... you get to the end of the album, and if you don't hit Stop or jump up to change CD's this song starts playing. If you've never heard Cohen's version, it's quite, uh, something the first time you hear it...

B000000OUU.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg