How to hook up sub so I can switch from 5.1 to Stereo

Vettemanfrom1973

Hi

On 6/29/2003 7:34:04 AM minn_male42 wrote:

".. I have my system wired up so i can switch the sub from 5.1 home theatre to running of of the main channels in stereo mode.... with the crossover at 40 hz it really fills out the bottom of the klf-30's......"

My sub is at at the back of mt HT room which is 10' X 28'. I am assuming that I would need to run speaker wire from my receiver all the way to the sub and then all the way back to the mains? Running over 60ft of cable cannot be good. All I know is that I would really like to have my sub going when listening to cd's in stereo mode. Any suggestions?

Jonathan

----------------

On 9/13/2004 9:38:39 AM ygmn wrote:

but you could use the MAIN L/R outputs and run a interconnect to the sub for these 2 channel times....??

----------------

Since my sub is at the back of a 28' room, would this not require me to run almost 60 ft of cable. Also if I did this, when in 5.1 would the sub not pick up effects that it was not intended to get?

I was thinking of running wire from the "B speaker" connection on the receiver into the sub. Correct me if I am wrong but if I wanted the sub to work in Stereo mode I would turn on the "B" speaker switch and when I just wanted to run the sub in 5.1 through the LFE I would just turn off the "B" speakers. (To avoid any unnecessary emails, "I am not running any "B speakers" or second set of speakers just planning on using the "B" as a way to send an extra signal".

Any pro's/cons/warnings would be appreciated

Jon

I've got two comments. First, running the pre-outs for the fronts to the sub isn't a bad idea. You can have someone make your interconnects out of RG-6 for very cheap. (Hiding the cables is another matter though.) Secondly, ensure that your speakers are set to large when to trying to select "Both" for the bass management option.

John

Thanks guys and here's a few responses

I thought it was weird that this receiver could be missing a good feature, but who knows. i emailed Pioneer to see if I was missing something. They sent me a 800 number that isn't accessible fro Canada. My last receiver wasn't 5.1 so the sub didn't have its own channel and I guess with the 07-TX "stereo" must mean 2 not 2.1?

As for using the preouts. Would this not be sending 2 channels to the sub. I can see how this makes sense in stereo mode. But when in 5.1 would the sub not be getting extra material that it is not intended to receive?

I am thinking that using the sub as the "B" speaker should get the sub working in stereo mode, and the plus is that I can turn it off with a push of a "B speaker" button. Does running speaker wire to the sub make sense? Pro's/Cons/Warnings?

Jonathan

yromj has the right idea, run your preout's from the front channels to the sub. This may give you extra bass in movies when your sub picks extra info from the front channels along with the LFE but thats nothing a little gain adjustment can't fix. You will also need a y-splitter to share the input with your LFE in the back of the sub. Because you need 3 channels entring the sub now, not just 1.

(edit)

i just read your last post, glad you could find 2.1 mode, thats a much better solution

I would first of all double check the manual and the menus, because "Both" for bass has got to be an option. If you run the wires the way I described, I would run only two (from the front pre-outs, and NOT the LFE/.1 out) and set the sub to "none" in the menu. This will force all bass below the cross-over, whether it be deep music or part of the .1 track, to the mains. Again, I would do this only if you can't set the bass to "Both".

John

----------------

On 9/17/2004 1:19:40 AM 007 wrote:

yromj has the right idea, run your preout's from the front channels to the sub. This may give you extra bass in movies when your sub picks extra info from the front channels along with the LFE but thats nothing a little gain adjustment can't fix. You will also need a y-splitter to share the input with your LFE in the back of the sub. Because you need 3 channels entring the sub now, not just 1.

(edit)

i just read your last post, glad you could find 2.1 mode, thats a much better solution

----------------

I think you read my post incorrectly. when I wrote "My last receiver wasn't 5.1 so the sub didn't have its own channel and I guess with the 07-TX "stereo" must mean 2 not 2.1?"

I was meaning that the receiver does not send a signal to the sub when in stereo mode.

I read the advice of having main preouts go to the sub. My main concern is what will this do to the sound in 5.1? As far as that goes I would be losing a discrete channel. I think it would bother me too much to have 5.0 surround as opposed to 5.1. I want to have 5.1 surround and have the sub working in stereo mode.

Here's a link to my receiver. I thought I posted this already, ooops probable somewhere where it shouldn't have been. The manual is not really that detailed and I did not see it on the site?

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pna/product/detail/0,,2076_4155_32966,00.html

Jon

Well I got the sub to work in Stereo Mode. I needed to set the left and right speakers to "small". What the heck is that? I have KLF 30's, they rock and I hate the thought of referring to them as "small". What will the "small" setting do the output from the 30's?

That is also too annoying to think that whenever I'm having a get together and then everyone wants to listen to music I would have to go and change the speaker size setting. i'm still thinking that runnning speaker wire from the Left and Right "B" outs of the receiver to the sub would make turning the sub on for "stereo" as simple as pushing the "B" speaker button on the receiver.

Would this be a bad thing in any way? (The A and B speakers do run in parallel)

what small does it cut off the bass frequencies to the mains..as some frequency..usually it is 80 hz but some have options to change this value...nothing wrong with this

then everything at this set point and below is set to the sub....

You should still have a menu option on receiver to also set the Bass to Main/Sub/Both....they have this in case some customers do not have a sub..it will direct LFE channel to mains...

I cannot find manual on website as it does not have yours listed...

so look in your manual under Bass Management

good luck

Well I can't take it back as its over 5 years old and I bought it just befote DTS was out so trade in hurts too. I don't care about DTS, the receiver is great and the only problem I have is no sub in stereo mode when mains are set to "large". The tech guy at Velodyne said that in their tests they found Klipsch and Velodyne worked best when set mains are set to small. Velodyne also said to not hook up the LINE-IN and FROM AMPLIFIER inputs simultaneosly.

I'm trying to get some confirmation on my theory from Pioneer but I keep getting errors when i email them. Maybe someone in the forum knows. My theory is that I am pretty sure that 5.1 receivers cannot use "B" speakers when the surround mode is on because the rears and the B speakers are powered by the same channels on some type of switch. So basically because the amp can only power B or rear speakers and not simultaneously I am thinking that by running the "B" speaker wire to the sub would be perfect as the warning from Velodyne is that the line-in and From Amplifier inputs should not be run simultaneosly and if my theory is right my receiver cannot send out an LFE signal while sending out a signal to the "B" speakers. I would like some confirmation on if this would be safe. Like I stated previously it would be real handy in stereo mode to be able to turn sub off and on just by pressing the "B" speaker button. This would also keep the .1 in 5.1 real through the LFE out as opposed to running preouts from mains to sub and sending all sound to the sub.

Hope this post makes sense. What do I have to worry about by hooking the LINE-IN and FROM AMPLIFIER inputs simultaneosly?

Thanks

Jon