Premiere Speakers

luchenbach

I just saw in the news section of the website that Klipsch is going to be releasing the Reference Premiere series of speakers next year. They list them as being 3 way speakers, with a .75 inch horn loaded tweeter, a 4 inch horn midrange, but they don't mention the size of the woofers. Does anyone know about them?

They look pretty awesome, but at a msrp of $14,500 for the system, they had better look and sound awesome.

G-

Klipsch Unveils New Flagship Reference Premiere Series

INDIANAPOLIS (September 9, 2004) At CEDIA EXPO 2004, Klipsch Audio Technologies will introduce the Reference Premiere Series, an elite new line up of specialty market loudspeakers that the companys brand manager calls the pinnacle of modern day horn-loaded technology and design.

Slated to ship in the spring of 2005, the luxurious and sophisticated Reference Premiere Series consists of a floorstander, center channel, surround speaker and subwoofer.

The Premiere floorstander and center channel are three-way designs that utilize a .75-inch titanium dome, Tractrix® Horn-loaded supertweeter coupled with a unique Tractrix Horn-loaded 4-inch midrange that together provide unparalleled dynamics and clarity. The woofers and midrange drivers on these models incorporate a Nomex honeycomb core sandwiched between two fiberglass layers for a cone that is incredibly light and rigid with ultra-low distortion and quick low-end response. Coupled with cast frames and powerful motor structures, these drivers are able to deliver astonishing realism.

The two-way surround speaker features dual 1-inch titanium-dome compression drivers with high-output ceramic motors mated to square 90 degree by 60 degree Tractrix Horns in a proprietary Wide Dispersion Surround Technology array. The speakers dual 6.5-inch fiberglass/Nomex woofers with cast frames and massive motor structures deliver the same quick low-end response as the floorstander and center channel. The surround also features dual keyholes with threaded inserts for multiple mounting options.

Making an ultra-performance statement, the subwoofer offers a unique digital control interface with DSP room correction for unparalleled in-room performance. It delivers extreme impact and quick low-end response due to its 15-inch cast-frame, fiberglass/Nomex rear-firing active woofer with a massive motor structure and high-excursion surround. An 18-inch fiberglass/Nomex front-firing passive radiator gives this loudspeaker its controlled deep output. The subwoofers 850-watt digital hybrid amp offers excellent control and 2400-watt dynamic peak capability.

Each Reference Premiere speaker features furniture-grade real-wood veneer elliptical enclosures with a premium fit and finish. This elegant design, in conjunction with extensive internal bracing, results in a more rigid and structurally sound enclosure. Other professional grade materials include premium 4th-order networks, custom internal wiring and magnetically attached low-diffraction grilles.

Steady growth of the Klipsch brand over the past five years has proven to more and more people that horn-loaded loudspeakers just sound better, said Jim Garrett, Reference Series brand manager. Now that the Klipsch name is so much more well known and trusted on a broader scale, we believe the market is ready to see Klipschs more esoteric side.

When the Reference Premiere Series launches in 2005, the recommended 5.1 system, consisting of two floorstanders, a center channel, two surround speakers and a subwoofer, will have a target U.S. MSRP of $14,500.

Those look sweet sweet sweet. I'd very much like to see some more detailed system specs on those! The subwoofer could be incredible and this might even make me change my mind about buying K-horns!@# Klipsch people when will system specs become availble? Can you at least say what wood finishes will be available?

Hmm, too expensive? I guess that is relative. A new pair of Khorns retails for $7700 right now, so a full 5.1 system of beautiful 3-way Heritage would cost:

KHorns: $7700

1 Belle-Klipsch center: $3000

Pair HeresyII surrounds: $1050

Sub: Dual SVS SS in wood veneer: $5000

$14k may be a good deal depending on performance. I really don't like the THX-style surrounds though, I'd have to find monopole speakers that fit the rest of the system. I'll probably still buy heritage but I'd definately like to listen to this stuff.

I saw them today at the CEDIA show. (Yes I was working covering some other companies) but I felt like a magnet towards the Klipsch booth. LOL.

They (The premier line) looks cool.. The sub is HUGE a 18 inch passive in front and a 15 in the rear....

The Demo room was the best. I think it was a 9.2 system all Aragon amps processing and the THX Ultra Speaker System (2 subs) too. The room was a sound proof area so you could hear the Klipsch experience. I was proud of them, they had a very large booth and LOTS of people crammed in to see hear what was new.

I am sure they will look and sound awsome.

As for the price. With Klipsch you get what you pay for. Not true with some companies. If they preform as good as cornwalls or better I am sure to buy a pair of front mains. I for one am happy to see a horn in the mid range. They should be killer.

----------------

On 9/10/2004 5:27:24 PM Sanman023 wrote:

like the new look of the horns...yeah..like the thx ultra....too expensive....i cant believe the reference 7s are not going to be the flagship anymore...

----------------

Actually, aren't the Premiere speakers going to be considered a different line just like the Heritage speakers are a different line? That means the 7's will still be the top of the reference line. Right?

Hey I'm just grasping at whatever I can here cuz I know I can't afford the new ones.2.gif

Hmm, I don't think they'll completely stop making the Heritage line. During the pilgrimage this summer many people stressed the importance of not forgetting where they came from.

I still want to see final pricing, and detailed specs, especially sensitivity. I'm also very curious to do music and home theater listening; curious how the mids and highs will sound crossing over from the tractix looking horn to the exponential looking horn.

No question that monstrous subwoofer is MINE though!

Hmm, hard to say. At the price points they are going to be at I'd hope they are more than just 3-way speakers in a similarly sized enclosure.

On another note, there are apprently, there are very real acoustic benefits to the curved cabinets. According to some engineers we spoke to at the pilgrimage this year (I forget who so I don't want to misquote anyone) Klipsch has been intrigued by the possibilities of curved enclosures for some time. Example, the B&W 802s are very highly regarded (they sound great IMHO) and have been using curved enclosures for some time: the crux being the a $8,000 price of entry. The Klipsch folks said recent advances in technology were bring the cost of this type of enclosre way down.

Even if I don't end up buying them (I've got to hear the SUB!) I'm really glad to see these. Its nice to see new "no comprimises" products being made in this day and age of "all comprimise" small systems.